PDA

View Full Version : Pressure tanks

buccobruce
01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Does anyone know where to get a pressure tank? I have a nice Johnson 1956 that is in great shape but I can't find one of these weird pressure tanks for it. Maybe someone has one kicking around in their basement?

DaleH
01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
eBay, $22 in NH, see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4521840744&category=31286

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/36/67/56_12_sb.JPG

There is also an antique OB society that has a classifieds list, but I'd have to do some searches to get the name ....

fishingdan
01-23-2005, 01:46 PM
I have a '57 Johnson 7.5 hp that is like new and has a similar tank. I have always wondered if there is truly anything different about the tanks compared to new models. It seems to me that the biggest difference is the built in primer. Are they really different than what we can purchase today?

Dan

buccobruce
01-23-2005, 02:40 PM
the new tanks can be made of plastic because the engines after 1961 or so all have fuel pumps that suck gas up to the engine. these old engines have no fuel pump so the tanks have to have this primer, have to be made of metal so pressure can develop and must have a double fuel line so that air can go from the engine and force gas in the other direction to the engine. does your 7.5hp work well with the tank?

Backfire
01-23-2005, 07:54 PM
They are available on E-Bay most of the time $30-50. but watch out IF, it doesn't have a hose and connector that clips to the engine. If you have to buy that connector- it is still available new from Johnson and Evinrude dealers-it is over $60 bucks plus hose about $1.50 a foot. Also usually no guarantee that the primer works- could have a bad diaphram, etc.
Backfire ;)

fishingdan
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Does your 7.5hp work well with the tank?

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the difference.

My 7.5 runs great with the original tank and looks like new. My grandfather gave me that engine. Recently, I found the paper work for it. He bought it at Morie Mages (sp?) Sports in Chicago. It came with a lifetime guarantee from the store. I have the certificate and sales receipt.

I wish they were still in business, I would bring it back and say I have a problem. It would be fun to see their reaction. :)

I don't believe there is more than 100 hrs on the engine. I rarely use it these days, but I enjoy having it. I may build a small boat for it in the spring.

Thanks again for the info,
Dan

buccobruce
01-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I love the idea of building a boat for an old outboard. I got a 1959 'rude from a yard sale 18hp that i worked on for a while and got running but had no boat for it and wanted to find or build a boat because the motor was that cool.

fishingdan
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't know what type of boat I want to build for this engine, but I like the designs at www.boatplans-online.com.