PDA

View Full Version : Cape Ice Fishing

Bob Parsons
01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Made it out for a few hours on Lake Wequaquet. Went through a dozen medium shiners in a few hours. Mostly perch (good size to most of them) and one pickeral.

Any of you cape dwellers interested in a Cape Ice Clave next saturday? There is parking by the beach off Shootflying Hill rd. And the ice is wind swept which makes for easy walking.

Keepah
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Just curious, how thick was the ice out there. I was thinking about heading out there monday or tuesday either wequacket or glen charlie up in wareham. wasn't sure if ice around here was safe enough yet. Thanks.

Bob Parsons
01-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Due frozen snow it was variable in thickness, but I measured 7" of solid ice.

David Churbuck
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Bob, I'm completely up for an outing this next weekend. Cabin fever has overcome the Churbuck household and the kids actually asked me yesterday when we were going to do some hardwater angling.

This is a good inducement to get myself a 2005 license. My gear is packed and ready to go and I have a new Coleman propane grill waiting for your McPerch sandwiches.

Let's coordinate, and to make it clear, we're talking Wequaquet at the public beach/launch ramp/rowing club.

This picture is from the 2003 RT Ice-Clave on Lovell's Pond in Cotuit
http://www.churbuck.com/Images/fish/iceclave.jpg

DC

SamRiley
01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Was thinking of something closer to home but if Dave is finished with his RVW impression then I'm in.

Bob Parsons
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Sam we'll have a closer one the following week. We need to take advantage of the cape ice while it lasts.

David Churbuck
01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Okay. I'll bite. What is an "RVW impression?"

SamRiley
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Okay. I'll bite. What is an "RVW impression?"

I was referring to your annual nap between the last fall Striper and first ice :D
http://www.koshgall.com/images/wmrpvan1.jpg

David Churbuck
01-31-2005, 05:24 PM
That's pretty funny. In fourth grade I was Rip Van W. in the school play. My moment of glory was tarnished when I awoke from epic nap and said, pointing to the sky, "Why there's the Hudson river!" and then pointing at the floor: "And there's the Catskill mountains."

I was taken away for dyslexia testing.

Bob Parsons
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Come on you cape people Join us for a little use fishing, even a few hours is ok. We'll have some grills going and there will be plenty of offerings besides the macperch sandwiches. I even have extra tip ups if you need don't have any ice fishing gear.

ruge13
01-31-2005, 07:32 PM
So far I think I can make it. I will also have some extra gear with me if anyone wants to give it a try...

haguebrook
02-01-2005, 09:23 AM
What time?

Bob Parsons
02-01-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm going to try to be on the ice by 7:30 am to secure a good area. Come when you can and stay as long as you wish.

SamRiley
02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Where are you thinking of setting up base camp Bob? My bets would be

David Churbuck
02-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Are we talking Saturday or Sunday?

Sam, those are good "chokepoints" but a pretty hefty hike from the parking area next to the boat ramp at the NW corner of the lake. If there is anything close to the amount of snow on the ice that there is on my yard, then snowshoes will be called for.

Thunder Rod
02-01-2005, 11:35 AM
I'd love to join you, but I went ice fishing the last 2 weeks in a row, plus I'm heading to Maine on the 11th to do the same. Gotta take a weekend off.

Keepa: We fished the boat launch at Glen Charlie on Sunday. Caught scores and scores of fish, the fast majority were pickerel. Too many pickerel! I was running from trap to trap all damn day. I couldn't keep 5 lines in the water at the same time! Unfortunately it seems that the upper area of the watershed is over-populated with pickerel now. More than I've ever seen. Most of the pickerel were rat/snakes, 6 to 23 max. Id say we caught between 30-40 fish between 3 of us, no kidding, no exaggeration. Even got them jigging with a swedish pimple. (and a couple perch). Only one bass was caught all day. Other fishermen near by had the same results. So if you go to GC, bring lots of bait!

Bob Parsons
02-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Sam, I was thinking of a spot 1/2 between your first mark and the boat ramp and slightly NE. As Dave mentioned, those other spots are a looooong long walk.
Dave the lake is windblown and very easy walking.

Bob Parsons
02-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I have a half day of school today so I'll be getting shiners this afternoon before heading to the cape. Anyone need bait for tomorrow's outing?

I'm getting 1 1/2 doz of mediums and a couple large for the pike.

David Churbuck
02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I planned on getting my act together in the morning, hitting Sportsport for a 2005 license, some bait, then hit the grocery story for provisions and meet up late morning. Same offer as Bob's to pick up any supplies people need at the bait & tackle.
dc

ruge13
02-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Riley is out of work today I think, but I will touch base with him tonight. I assume we will be there at some point early AM.

As said before, I will have a couple extra tipups so if anyone wants to stop in and check it out they can fish.

detra
02-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Have fun guys, I have other commitments this weekend.

David Churbuck
02-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Awesome fishing on Lake Wequaquet today. I arrived at 11:30 with my boys -- BobP, Sam and Shaun had been at it a few hours and Bob was already out of shiners the action had been so furious. Some titantic perch and monster large mouth were landed.

I drilled my holes, rigged my tip-ups, and before I could get them all baited the first one had gone off.

Perch fish fry tonight!

I love ice fishing. If you can't beat winter, then join it.

Bob Parsons
02-05-2005, 06:17 PM
To say the action at Wequaquet was hot today would be an understatement. At 7:30am my first tip-up was in the water and at 7:30am I had my first fish. Often while attending one tip-up I had two flags waiting. During the morning I do not think I had the 5 flags set at the same time. The only way I could get enough time to start the grill and cook was to leave a couple baits out of the strike zone. We caught some huge perch, I've caught smaller stripers. Some ran 15". Sam and I each caught a couple bass, three of the four were in the 21" range and varied between being fat and vary fat. Unfortuneatly I had my camera at the wrong setting when taking pictures today so I have nothing to post. I had some very large shiners for pike which did nothing. Jigging with a small swedish pimple also produced numerous perch.
Hope I can get on this ice again this weekend.

Bob Parsons
02-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Got out for half a day. Had to go to a different spot since there was a group set up about where we were yesterday. A bit slower today. I actually got 4 rigs set up before a flag went off. Again lots of perch, while there were good size to some of them, know were as large as the largest we got the day before. Had a good sized pike right at the whole but lost him trying to slide him out.

Here is a picture of Sam's bass if I converted it correctly.

ruge13
02-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Same on the report...here are some pics..

Keep in mind that perch is bent a bit..it was a solid 15"
Got a couple good sized perch and Sam got his bass on smaller perch put back down as Pike bait.
Video of Bob's bass.. http://reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111346#post111346
Thats an 8" hole!

Bob Parsons
02-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Since I had a 3 day weekend, I went back out there for one more shot. (do not think that ice will last to next weekend) Each morning I've arrived later and later so tend to miss the morning bite.

Highlights 17.5" pike jigging a small swidish pimple
2 little perch caught at the same time on the same jig.
19.5" pikeral on one of those little perch.

Shaun I think you need to fix your camera, that fish looked much bigger in real life.

ruge13
02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Shaun I think you need to fix your camera, that fish looked much bigger in real life.

My Camera does that to me every time!!! Thats why I started taking underwater pictures..the fish are 2x the size easy!