PDA

View Full Version : Headin' To Baja!

castingmaniac
02-01-2005, 07:37 PM
YAHOO! The check went out today! Baja here I come! I head down on the last week of March and I have six days to sample the fishing. I am staying at a lodge called Punta Calorada. Anyone been there? Any advice, praises or warnings(hopefully not)?

Punta Calorada is on Baja's East Cape. I will have three days of on the 'super' pangas'. The other three days are my own. I guess I will divide that time amongst swimming, exploration, and some solitary fishing.

I am going to hall down my own fly gear which consists of 9 weight outfit suitable for stripers and blues up here. I have different line on additional spools if needed. My fly collection would be considered a pretty extensive for New England water. Decievers, Clousers, Sar-Mul-Macs, Sea Habits, variations of Surf Candies, Sea Habits, to name a few.

I am just wondering if I should hall down a heavier wieght outfit, like an 11-weight. And can anyone suggest a few flies for the trip?

Much appreciated gents! Castingmaniac --127-3- --127-3-
(Sorry moderator, I was excited. Move the thread if you need to.)

Roostahfish
02-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I just mailed off my deposit check to Punta Colorada this morning.....

I'm heading down in July to hopefully add Marlin to the fishing resume. I have not been down there yet, but met a guy who has been going down there for the past 10 years. (After how much he raved about it, I booked my trip)

Let me/us all know how it goes!!

ppatricelli
02-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I know exactly where Punta Colorada is, have been in the lodge and have fished around it a lot. Good choice! Probably one of the better spots to get a roosterfish (easy on bait but very difficult on fly). I have never been there in the winter, though, so the dorado we targeted might not be there in such numbers. I think I remember that the Sierra Macs are supposed to be thick there in the winter.

The flies don't matter much. Nothing down there is very fly picky. Don't forget poppers!!!

Except for the possibility of the Sierra mackeral and from-shore snappers and palometa, there's nothing down there I would want to tackle on a 9 weight. For Dorado and the smaller tuna, a 10 weight is perfect. Everything else is bigger!

Roostahfish
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Good to know...I'm dying to catch a roosterfish from shore!

ppatricelli
02-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Roostahfish,

Small roosters are possible from shore on a fly, really hang right in the shore break (popper, done that, but throwing AT the shore break from a boat), and the big roosters regularly run (in pairs!) the sandy beaches north of PC, but to get one on a fly one generally must resort to teasing them up by repeatedly snatching bait away from them until they are in an angry snit and will hit the next thing that slaps into the water. One outfitter out of Cabo specilizes in fly fishing and it's my arms length understanding that's what they do.

At PC they get the big roosters by livelining bait.

Haven't been there for 4-5 years. That was then.

The Sea of Cortez is the most sublime place to fish on earth. One man's opinion. It is so slippery calm in the mornings at sunrise and there is SO MUCH LIFE! Birds, bait, rays, fish. Everywhere you look there is something swirling, moving, splashing. And the water temp is @ 85. Heaven on earth is to be lodged overlooking the water and, in the summer, within 100' of the water. 110' inland and it is TOO HOT!

If you get to Buenavista Lodge and see the mounted 22' Oarfish, WE pulled that (dying) from the surf.

Peter Patricelli

Capt.ChrisLembo
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
My choices would be a 10 wt and a 12 wt fly with floating line. a 12 pound size spinner loaded with 350-400 yds 20 pound Power pro and a 20 pound spinner. Lots of poppers and deceivers is all you need.

The Panga trips are the way to go. Have been 40miles offshore in a 30 foot panga. Big Dolphin, small -medium Yellowfin, Sailfish. We used primarily live bait offshore. Been at all times of the year. You will want a 20 pound spinner for a Roosterfish as they are sometimes small but there are tons of monster ones.

castingmaniac
02-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I am going to be at Punta Calorada for six days. Three of those days will be spent on a 'super panga'. As far as I can tell a 'super' panga is a good size center console. Anyway, the other three days will be spent on terra firma.
I would really like just to do some routine exploring and lounging on the beach.
I intend to hall down my light spinning rod, and one or two of my 9wgt outfits.

I am looking around for an 11 wgt fly blank to use for the bigger quarry. I can build a pretty nice flyrod in a few days once all of the parts are together. The only thing is I am having a damn hard time trying to find 11 weight blanks.

Does anybody not think that a 9wgt and an 11 weight can cover any situation that I may come across? --127-3-