PDA

View Full Version : Chez Pierres, Long Island

gammarus
02-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I need some advice from anyone who's been to Chez Pierres. We will be travelling there in November and want to know what is in the area. How far is it from the Stella Maris area? Friends who are coming with us want to know where to party at night. What are the beaches like. I have asked Chez Pierres the same question but would like an unbiased opinion.

Guy
02-06-2005, 12:10 AM
If you want a laid back location without night life, Chez Pierre's will work. I haven't stayed there overnight, but I have been there a couple of times. It's off the "Queen's highway" a fair bit on a dirt track to the leeward side, at least a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from Stella Maris (about halfway between Deadman's Cay and Stella Maris).

Chez Pierres will feed you well and the place has it's own charm. It's beach by Long Island standards is "so so". In November you could end having the whole place to yourself. November is pretty quiet on Long Island. Actually most of the island is pretty quiet most of the year.

There is some bonefishing out front of Chez Pierres but most of the bonefishing on Long Island is the Deadman's Cay area (this is not a good DIY area by the way) and the north end (Stella Maris/ Cape Santa Maria) where you can do some DIY if so inclined.

If you are after night life Stella Maris is the place to be. There are several nightly activites such as rum punch parties, rake and scrapes etc. each week. Within the Stella Maris property are several villa rentals as well; so there is a wide range of places (and prices). Stella Maris does not have any good beaches on the property but there are several gorgeous beaches in the vicinity. Cape Santa Maria about 10 minutes north is one of the prettiest beaches anywhere. There is a pricey small resort at Cape Santa Maria as well.

If you want to party with the locals, check out Alfred's in Burnt Ground (5 minutes north of Stella Maris) on Friday and Saturday nights. There are a few other local watering holes the length of the island that get hopping on the weekends, but I really advise against driving after dark on Long Island. The Queen's Highway twists and turns with many potholes and blind corners. There tends to be a lot of accidents up and down the length of the length of the island (particularily on weekends).

I love Long Island. We have done several trips there since 1996 and will be there again on Valentines Day for two more weeks of chasing bones and sharks.

Bahama Dreamin'

Guy

Corcut
02-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Gammarus:
I recently spent 1 week staying at Chez Pierre. I was there on a fishing outing. Overall, I would recommend it as a good place to stay. The host and hostess, Anne and Pierre, are gracious, affable, and very accomadating people. The food is absolutely outstanding. The value, I feel, is excellent - a comfortable place to sleep with breakfast and dinner included. They'll provide a lunch for you to bring along on an outing at a reasonable price as well. I was there to fish - not swim, etc. and the beach the place is situated on is pretty and, as mentioned above, not "ideal" for swimmers I would estimate as it is more of a flat than a purely sandy beach. There are supposedly bonefish to be found there, although we did not look for them there as we spent every day fishing the Deadman's Cay area flats. Nonetheless it is a great spot. If you are looking for a guide, Locksley Cartwright is affiliated with Chez Pierre and he is a top flight, personable, hard-working talented guide who I highly recommend without reservation. The weather was horrible every day we fished there ( 25+ mph winds and cool) but he still managed to get us onto some nice fish. You will not be disappointed.
The only reservation one might have about Chez Pierre is the fact that the shower water is ?brackish with a strong odor and there is no warm water. There is plenty of drinking water, so this is not a concern. I did not mind the inconvenience of the shower water issue, however I would not bring my wife along at this point in our lives. When we were in our 20's, no problem.
Oh yes, the dirt road access issue is a non issue - it is not even worth discussing.
I think I have some pictures if you have any interest. Good luck.

Guy
02-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Gammarus:
The weather was horrible every day we fished there ( 25+ mph winds and cool) .......

the shower water is ?brackish with a strong odor and there is no warm water. .........

Oh yes, the dirt road access issue is a non issue - it is not even worth discussing.

I see the Bahamas and Long Island in particular are up to their old tricks when it comes to the weather. Since 2002 we have yet to string together more than a than a couple days of sunny weather in a row punctuated by several days of wind and cloud. Wind is a nuisance but add in clouds; and bonefishing is just about impossible. Once we got blown with off the water for 10 days straight on one 2 1/2 week trip in March / April 2003. All the Bahamas are windy but I swear Long Island sees more than it 's fair share of wind AND CLOUD togother. I wonder if for some reason Long Island's location puts it on the edges of may of the fronts that go through. I dunno, pure conjecture on my part- we keep going back to try and beat the odds and get a mostly nice weather trip one of these times!

Pretty much all of Long Island suffers from a lack of good fresh water (as do many other out islands). Most of the water comes from desalinization. Get bottled water for drinking. The brackishness of the water varies from time to time. I suspect that after this year's hurricanes, the water supply might be even more brackish than normal.

I agree the road into Chez Pierre's really isn't an issue. Most of the side roads are hard cobbled and passable even when wet. But they are full of large potholes that can fill up when it rains. The last time we drove in to Chez Pierre's, a local out berry picking had stalled her car in the middle of one of the potholes. We were able to push her out by hand so that we could navigate around her. Take your time, pick your way through the potholes and you won't have any problems. (BTW. once her plug wires dried off she was able to start her car and continue on as well!)

Chez Pierres is one of a handful of smaller resorts on Long Island that offer seclusion along with the typical wonderful Long Island hospitality. As of yet, the island has yet to be spoiled by large scale resort development. Go with an open mind, a spirit of adventure and a willingness to "make you own sunshine, mon"!

Bahama Dreamin'

Guy

gammarus
02-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It looks like we may have to convince our friends to find some extra money to stay at Stella Maris. My wife and I originally wanted to stay at cape santa maria, but the couple coming with us couldn't afford it. I think that if we rent a bungalow at Stella Maris and bring our own food for breakfast and lunch, we can stay within their budget. I'm concerned about the weather issue, has anyone had similar bad weather during November?