PDA

View Full Version : West Palm Beach - April?

belmarq
02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm going to be in West Palm Beach the second week of April. Any suggestions for fly fishing? Guided fishing in the intercoastal waterway? Am I better off driving to the West Coast (I fished Marco Island area a few years ago and had a great time)? Opportunities for DIY fisherman? Thanks! :)

albacized
02-11-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm going to be in West Palm Beach the second week of April. Any suggestions for fly fishing? Guided fishing in the intercoastal waterway? Am I better off driving to the West Coast (I fished Marco Island area a few years ago and had a great time)? Opportunities for DIY fisherman? Thanks! :)
I'm kind of partial to the west coast (but more north like Sarasota/Venice) for snook fishing: it's great. There's also good spanish mac action off the jetties down there. As far as West Palm, my experience is about a half hour-45 minutes south of there in Pompano Beach. Your guess is as good as mine as I've had poor luck there in several trips in past years during March but great luck in May and June of past years. By great, I mean barracuda, jacks and some snook from shore (not like the west coast, though). Also in May, you can pay small money for one of the head boats out of Hilsboro Inlet in Pompano Beach for bottom fish (snapper, grouper, etc) and score with gamefish like king mackeral, false albacore, cobia, barracuda and dolphin (and actually saw a guy catch a sail on one of these trips and a blackfin tuna on another). These trips are only something like twenty bucks. One thing of note regarding wanting to catch gamefish on these trips. The boat offers tackle. But it's rather shabby. You can bring your own but they might object if you bring tackle that's too light (like you may be thinking of in terms of catching albacore here in New England). They don't want to get into a situation where they have to have everyone pull up lines and chase fish. It ****es people off. But you should rig up differently than what they give you on these boats if you want the gamefish.

coaster101
02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
April is the start of the false albacore run..Ive went in May and June.They spawn between the beaches and the reefs.You'll need a boat and/or guide.Try Capt Scott Hamilton(561) 439-8592..he's the only fly only guide I know of..but if cant help ya he'll know who can.....good luck

capemike88
02-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey, I'm heading to Marco this thursday, were you fishing from shore? Can you give me any advice on fishing the island?

Thanks.

Mike

belmarq
02-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Mike-
My fishing near Marco Island was a guided trip. We had two boats, one of which was guided by a guy named Bob Marvin. He's got some odd political views, but he's a great guide. I don't remember the name of the other guide. Good luck!

Jed
02-15-2005, 04:24 PM
I like Scott Hamilton of www.flyfishingextremes.com

He's good, efficient, thorough and a nice guy. Does FF only. He's busy so book early.

jed

Flyflinger
02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Capt.Dino gets my vote! He posts on this forum occasionally. He guides out of Jupiter - both inshore and offshore. Ask him about doing some night-snookin' under the docklights - what a rush --127-3- He has a couple of hot spot dock lights and he ties up a "secret" snook fly that's a real killer!

Good luck.

Tony

stevec
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
CAll Capt Dino.

He used to be with Finchaser charters but he is no longer listed on the website. :confused:

Look him up!

soundownsam
02-15-2005, 09:59 PM
There shoudl be plenty of bonito around by then (I believe they are different than your false albacore) and if you want to have a good fight on a fly rod they will do the trick. Many guides bring tons of live pilchards for chum to get them fired up and then they will eat anything. I am willing to bet that after 2 or 3 hours of solid action on boneheads you will be sore as you ever want to be from fishing.

Sam

Only On A Fly
02-16-2005, 07:30 AM
In April there still can be Spinner Shark's off the beach in Singer Island along w/Blue's,& Spanish Mac'c. Another good spot from the shore is Coral Cove park to Blowing rock's.Also there still can be some Jack's running the beach. Offshore the Albie's ( There the same fish as up north, they just call the Bonito's down here ) will start to show up, there's still can be Dolphin,& King Mac's.

As far as the chumming goes, yes you have to do it. It's offshore flyfishing & you have to bring them up. It's nice up north when they come inshore & you see them busting up bait & you have to race & chase. I like it here better as you don't know what will come into the slick.

As for the nite Snooking goes it's a blast. For the most part it visual. They hit & fight harder then a Stripper & they also get air.

Flyflinger
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
"They hit & fight harder then a Stripper & they also get air"

Hey Capt.Dino -

Maybe you're not paying them enough for the table dances :brow (would that be a stripper or a striper? --125-3 )

Sorry, man but I had to do that!

Tony

PS - sounds like you had a great night last night snookin'. I'm jealous!

jay_m
02-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Capt Scott is tops.

http://www.flyfishingextremes.com/

Jay

flysully
02-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Capt. Dino rules! He knows where the fish are!

uncle4
02-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi there. You might want to call Walter Ungermann. He guides out of
Osterville in the summer, and Jupiter in the winter (561-746-3809).

Most of his Jupiter/West Palm fishing is trolling for dolphin/sails/kingfish. He's
an accomplished fly fisherman, and knows just about everyone down
there. If he doesn't fit the bill, I'm sure he can recommend some one.

Uncle 4