PDA

View Full Version : crab fly 1st attempt

Robstar55
02-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey, im pretty new to this forum and havent been flyfishing for bonefish that much(about 4 times). Im going again alittle later this year and have never fished nor tied a crab pattern before. This is my first attempt at one, i didnt follow any recipe, which i plan to do later. I just kinda made it up as i went along based on what ive seen online and on the water. The picture on the right is the underside view. Please let me know what you think of it and how you could fish the crab flies so that a hungry bonefish couldnt resist it :brow

teflon_jones
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
That's a very nice tie. :) I'd fish the crab the same way you fish a Gotcha.

ruge13
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Looks great.

How well does it sink with foam claws that size? The lead weight you have looks nice n' heavy, but does that fly get down fast enough to be effective with the claws? I honestly know very little about bone flies or have very little experience with foam claws so thats why I am asking, not necesarily to suggest improvment, but more because I really don't know.

Iwan
02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Are the claws made of foam ? I thought they look like knotted rubber bands cut to shape. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I'm thinking.

Whatever it is........that's a damn nice fly.......sorry crab --127-3-

Iwan.

Robstar55
02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
The claws are actually a rubber band knotted and cut to shape, but i can see now how it can look like foam in the picture (still kinda new to the picure taking haha). I still havent put the fly through the "bathtub test" but thats comming up next. Thanks for the support guys!

Iwan
02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
One piece of advise I can give you is to apply some head cement to the knot in the claws to prevent it from coming undone during fishing. Flexament works great for this.

Iwan.

ruge13
02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
The claws are actually a rubber band knotted and cut to shape, but i can see now how it can look like foam in the picture (still kinda new to the picure taking haha). I still havent put the fly through the "bathtub test" but thats comming up next. Thanks for the support guys!

Ahh, yep should have looked closer. That is more dense and will be less prone to floating issues. Then again, the floating will keep a defensive posture. Always a + I think.

Robstar55
02-17-2005, 09:38 PM
One piece of advise I can give you is to apply some head cement to the knot in the claws to prevent it from coming undone during fishing. Flexament works great for this.

Thats a great idea, never thought of doing that until i read your post! Just got back from giving the rubber band knots a nice coating :cool: any other advice on the fly or how to fish it is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

boba
02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Nice work. Feel free to send me your seconds. I can use them on Cape Cod.
;)

tsheehy
02-18-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't know jack about bonefish, bonefish flies, crabs or just about anything else.. but I know people that do ;) I'm guessing that they would say the splashdown from that fly hitting the water (on some days) would spook any bonefish within casting distance.

I'm sure there are conditions where it would work, don't get me wrong, but thats just my un-educated opinion gleaned from watching more knowledgable people criticize similar patterns. Think about the 'classic' bonefish flies and what they are made of.. lots of yarn, chenille, etc.. all things to create a soft entry into the water.. just something to think about.

I don't mean to be critical of the fly itself, I have about a half-dozen very similar looking flies in my striper fly box that I try out every once in a while when things get frustrating and I'm trying to crack the code of odd fish behavior :)

-- Tom

Henry
02-18-2005, 12:25 AM
That's a nice looking crab...it'll work. You might try balancing the fly with some kind of material on the opposite side of the fly from the claws. I've found the main problem with lopsided patterns like this is that they spin terribly when casting. Perhaps you can extend the back end of the claw rubber bands out the other end to represent the swimmer legs...that should balance it.

This next part is just a quirk of mine but...sideways crab patterns always make me think that I have to cast on the appropriate side of a fish in order to present the crab "facing" the fish...otherwise...the fish is looking at it's ass.

Go figure...still a great tie especially for your first attempt at a crab...I like it.

Robstar55
02-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Henry, Good point about the fly being unbalanced, the next crab style flies will have the swimmer legs on the back, great advice!

tsheehy, Nice call about the big splash caused by the fly...Hey if it doesnt work on the flats I can always use it for stripers haha :brow

Ill post a new revised pattern in a little while!
Thanks for your advice!

Sandflee
02-18-2005, 12:58 PM
looks great... only 2 things i would consider
1. try tying the crab so his back end faces the eye and claws foward towards the hook bend (defensive posture) may track better w/o spinning being weight material will be distributed more evenly

2. mind your hook gap, from the photos perspective it doesnt seem there is sufficient gap for a good hook-set

just suggestion, in no way shape or form downplaying the tie, it looks awesome.

teflon_jones
02-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Then again, the floating will keep a defensive posture. Always a + I think.

I had the same thought. That's realisitic to what any crab thinking "Oh crap! I'm gonna get eaten!" is going to do! :) And the rubber band really looks good in the photos. It's a great use of a non-traditional tying material for a fly.

I'm not the most experienced bonefisherman, but I found that the fish were not as spooked by the splash of a fly as I would have expected from what others said. They were much more spooked by false casts. You could put the line over them once ok usually, but two false casts and they were gone (except for schoolies, I could have dropped a brick in the middle of a school and they didn't go anywhere!). So I wouldn't worry about the splashing too much.

As others have said, you definitely need to balance that fly though or you're going to end up with a nasty twist in your line.

Robstar55
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all your sugguestions! I had some time today to try to improve on my 1st crabfly pattern. Heres what I came up with, a "defensive" positioned crab with the swimmer fins tied in for an all around balanced fly (or so i hope). It may be a little to big for bonefish, maybe not but here it is. I have two pictures of it below, let me know what you think!

Henry
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
--127-3- I love it! You really put those suggestions to good use.

Robstar55
02-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks Henry! Suggestions are always welcome. If you guys have any other ideas/improvements let me know, also any special ways to fish a crabfly is also greatly appreciated! :)

Jim Miller
02-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Very Nice
I know a few places in Nantucket where that fly will work very well! ;)

Robstar55
02-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks Jim!, I've never used a crab pattern before to go after stripers (in the chesapeake its tough :rolleyes: ) but im hopefully heading up to Massachusetts in the next couple of months to check out New England University, any sugguestions are...may I repeat it once more?...always welcome ;) about where to go or anything of that nature. Ill be a little north of Boston so if anybody can offer any advise for fishing stripers in Massachusetts please dont hesitate! (fly patterns needed too!)

Robstar55
02-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Sorry guys, I got my Colleges mixed up, New England University is in Biddeford, Maine not Massachusetts :mad: sorry about the mix up. I know it will probably be too early to fish there but still any techniques/patterns I could use would be helpful!