PDA

View Full Version : Southern Albies

jpkil318
02-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi
I am just wondering why southern Albies are found further offshore and don't run inshore like they do up north. I was also wondering if maybe they do run inshore its just no one pursues them there because there are many other fish in southern waters to catch. I am asking this because I am going to college just outside orlando and was hoping that maybe there would be places I could go to target them from shore. To me it seems like florida could have some excellent inshore opportunities for them but I never here of any.

PAX
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
.... would have the answers to your questions. I will try to take a look and see what I can find. I skipped the Florida part of the book but do remember TG writing that quite a few IGFA albie record come from Florida.

albacized
02-17-2005, 04:53 PM
They usually stay offshore, but not that far. You can run into them thick within two or three minutes of leaving, for example, Hillsboro Inlet at Pompano Beach. Deep water is only something like a mile or two offshore. Last year, I went down on an extended family trip to Disney and me along with a brother-in-law took a couple of fishing day trips to the east coast(and let the ladies/kids enjoy the park) to find whatever kind of fishing we could muster up. I asked some of the tackle shop owners if false albacore were a shore fisherman's option. The three that I asked all said the same thing: not really...every now and then someone would get one and not know what it was then bring it to the shop for identification. One thing I do know is that late spring and throughout the summer is the best time to catch these in Florida. If you want a chance from a boat but don't want to splurge on the cost of a charter, the party boats that fish for snapper/grouper catch many albacore as a by-catch to what they're fishing for. However, you'd have to use whatever gear they prefer regardless of whether it's theirs or yours: they probably won't like you using light tackle and definitely won't want you flyfishing. I think it's a good option for those who are new to the 'albie' scene and don't care how they catch them. But if you're hell bent on light tackle/flyfishing for these fish, then this option is probably not for you. I know that down in Pompano Beach/Ft Lauderdale, there is a core of fishermen who go out on these party boats to specifically target gamefish (albies, kingfish, dolphin,barracuda, and Cobia) and do quite well. But as I said, not on light tackle.

ppatricelli
02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
My first thought on this is that there are SO MANY other (probably new to you) fish you can get to INshore that you aren't going to miss them, such as reds, snook, trout, jacks, black drum, pompano, and even tarpon, not to mention the fresh water fish, LM bass, shad, and around Miami, Peacock Bass. On a college student's budget you probably will have to wait for dad to come visit and take you, but there are a number of guides who specialize in FF'ing for Bonita (as they call FA in florida) and Blackfin tuna. They fish around shrimp boats out of Fort Lauderdale. I can give you a FF guide's link if you want.

jighead
02-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Also, keep in mind that there is a difference between False Albacore and the deep water Albacore (as found in cans of tuna).
These two might get mixed up for some folks...