PDA

View Full Version : Grand Bahama DIY Report

EAN
02-24-2005, 08:30 AM
I just got back from Grand Bahama, (and with the pending snow we are about to get I'm not sure why I returned) anyway, I was on the island for 4 days, unfortunately the first two days were pretty windy so I did not fish, second two days the wind was not an issue. I rented a jeep and found some nice flats on the east end with easy access. Believe me I did not have to look hard. This was the first time for me in the Bahamas, I found plenty of fish and actually caught a few. Large schools of smaller fish ( 3-5 lbs) and small groups of larger fish. Altough it was about a 40 minute drive from our hotel it was easy (logistically) to find fish. The fish readily took my flies when I was able to see them coming. I did spook quite a few, as I am new to this game. But you can definitely find fish sans guide on grand bahama. Also I never saw another person the whole time I was fishing.

Reel Pursuit
02-24-2005, 10:16 AM
that's great news. Were they bonefish you caught? Snappers, porgies, maybe?
I tried Grand Bahama a few years ago on a DIY and ended up breaking my rod the first day. Put me out of commission for the rest of the week. :mad:

EAN
02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I was specifically targeting bonefish, I did have one shot at a small shark but was unable to get it to eat the fly

JET III
02-26-2005, 04:27 AM
If any of you need any questions answered or are need of advice for Bonefishing on Grand Bahamas - Feel free to contact me

Darton
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Jet,
Thanks for posting the report. Sounds like you had a good trip. I'll be staying near Freeport for a week this June. I hear there are nice sized Bones on GBI. Check your PM when you get a chance and thanks again for the info.

Mike

Darton
02-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Ean,
Sorry about the mistake in calling you Jet, I do want to thank you for posting the report.
And Jet,
I am interested in info on GBI. Hopefully we've all got that straight now... guess I'll go have a :-%

Mike

AFISHN
02-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Ean.I used to fish GBI (about 4 --4 day trips) with a renagade Keys guide.He was of ,of course,an illegal guide with an illegal boat(that he towed over from the Keys),as I found out later.

But we saw large numbers and larger fish than I have seen anywhere else in the Bahamas and I have fished the Out Islands for 20 plus years.

We had to travel 20- 50 minutes sometimes but ,man, it was awesome.We NEVER once saw another fly fisherman on the islands we visited.This area is truely underfished and under developed