PDA

View Full Version : Ma, Ri or CT

gilly09
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Guys,

Live in maine, have to drop the wife and kids off at logan for an april vacation flight. I can't get the time off for the travel.

However I'm gonna have a weekend alone to fish.

April 15,16,17.

Cape, Ri, or the thames in Ct?

I'd be flyfishing via foot.

CKitson
03-04-2005, 06:05 AM
I would guess that the Cape would be the least desirable option. Earliest I've ever caught a striper on the Cape's southcoast was the last week in April. The north side? Forget that.

albacized
03-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Guys,

Live in maine, have to drop the wife and kids off at logan for an april vacation flight. I can't get the time off for the travel.

However I'm gonna have a weekend alone to fish.

April 15,16,17.

Cape, Ri, or the thames in Ct?

I'd be flyfishing via foot.

My first choice would be the Thames River, although be aware that you'd need a CT freshwater fishing licence for any location up river of the Interstate 95 bridge, and most of the fishing is well beyond that. My second choice would be the West Wall/Deep Hole area in South County, RI. Good Luck

dudley
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM
The Thames is tough to fish on foot, high railroad tracks on both sides. Tough to make a good back cast.
There are spots but might be difficult to find on your own.
I'm familiar with the area near the rt. 2a bridge, if you want more info.
The flats will be heating up that time of year.

Ray
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
South County RI

I typically start fishing the south side of the Cape that time of year myself.

JoeA
03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I second the RI west wall deep hole area. In front of the Ocean Mist and along the west wall. Also the salt ponds down there have fish also.
Nice place to go for a quiet weekend anyway.

Smcdermott
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
My guess is that will be a few weeks early for South County i.e. migratory fish unless this weather pattern changes soon. I would say either the Thames (check in with the Fish Connection for spots) or upper Narragansett bay where there are resident holdovers that will move out to feed. Your other option would be to move further south from Hartford and hit the lower CT river.

Sean

FlyFishMich
03-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Although it adds another hour or so...you may want to try the mouth of the Housatonic.

Albiemanmike
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Housie should be in full swing on the dates you mention. It is a little bit further drive but well worth it if the fish come in real good this year. Housatonic is historically a great early season spot and I live 10 minutes from it. Been fishing it for a very long time and it is an awesome spot for early season action. It is also very shore fishing friendly with many spots to flyfish from shore. The upper river is usually better for bigger fish but not as shore friendly. Give me a buzz around that time and I can give you a good idea whether it will be worth the drive, and if everything works out I may be able to get you out on the water in my Triton. Still a little early to tell what is going to happen but I would be happy to give you the 411 as to what is going on if you like. PM for contact info.

Capt. Michael Mayo