PDA

View Full Version : Keys on a budget?

mrosol
03-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I am going to the Keys on a budget, in late May. I can't afford a guide on this trip but would like to wade for bones. Anybody have some "un-secret" flats they can refer me to?

JCG
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Never been but will be in June. I don't have any specifics yet but have read about a few spots on this forum. I think I did a search, DIY Keys, bonefish on your own... or something like that. Also, go to the magazine "Fly fishing salt waters" on line and search "bones on your own". It was a good article written a few years ago that mentions the keys.
I'm sure you know this but if you go out on your own, you will most likely not see too many fish and those that you do are smart. I am getting a guide which is a first for me. II've fished a few tropical spots and done pretty well on my own. I like doing the research and then fish on my own terms. It makes for a good adventure, its also the only way my wife, kids and wallet will allow.
Best of luck, I'll let you know if I get any more tips.
Oh, just remembered, Long Key state park. You can camp and cast at fish on the flats. I guess there are massive bonefish everywhere that if you look carefully you can see them give you the finger. I have a friend who is a great fisherman who tried it and failed a few years ago.
Jim

capt ed
03-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Bahia Honda state park has some nice wadeable flats, but the fish are really spooky, like you were saying. Caught a nice Permit under the old train bridge fishing from shore in the deep water, just blind casting. That was last October.

SC53
03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
There is a flat that is on the ocean side just north of Marathon, I think MM89 that has been good to me in the past. There is a small pull off area that you can just make out the flat. Incoming tide was best.
There is a hotel just north of it that has access to it from it's shore but you would need to stay there to use it. Can't remember the name though.

oldsocks
03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
The second post on this thread should tell you everything you need to know:

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=95444