PDA

View Full Version : BFT edible?

Duane A
03-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Just a subject to warm up these cold (winter/spring) days,we all dream of chasing and maybe catching some of those Cape Cod Bay school tuna but if and when I do are they good to eat or just make Sushi?

decapod
03-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Nope, they are just plain nasty. My cat wouldn't eat it ;) So don't bother even trying to catch one. Oh, they don't really fight very well either. A boot puts up more of a fight. Now leave them alone so I can go catch them!

If you cook the right cuts, they are delicious. My mouth is watering just remembering how good it was.

north coast
03-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I honestly fish for them more because I love to eat them than for the awesome battle they put up.A little butter +bread crumbs , Broil a few minutes on each side ,leave rare in the middle like a steak.nothing better as far as I'm concerend.

BobG
03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Duane,

BFT are the most delicious fish flesh that swims! BUT, it's so imperative that it be handles properly the second it hits the boat.

featherbaiter
03-14-2005, 02:41 AM
There may be nothing better. Nice and cool with some wasabi :) The search and the fight are nothing compared to the food. And the search and fight are worth about $50 a pound to me. If there is anything about a SBFT that is not great, I'd like to know what it is.

Capt.ChrisLembo
03-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Bluefin Tuna is very good, although Cobia, Mutton Snapper, Gag Grouper, Hogfish are much, much better down here in Key West.

The main factor is handling Tuna after the catch. It is important to immediately get every drop of blood out of the flesh. Cut the tail through the backbone and rip out all gills and guts immediately. Hold fish upright to drain as much remaining blood as possible. The gills will hold the most blood. Once bled completely it is best to store (as with any fish) in an ice water fish hold. My boat has a large fishbox with an overboard drain and a macerator drain. I plug the overboard and usually keep 60-80 pounds of ice for a day. 20 pounds block and the rest cubes. Once the first fish is bled and in the box I add about 25-30 gallons of salt water so the fish are covered with a saltwater slush. They are perfect when I hit the cleaning table. So cold that you need a glove to hold the fish while cleaning but not frozen.

tunnie md
03-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Bluefin Tuna is very good, although Cobia, Mutton Snapper, Gag Grouper, Hogfish are much, much better down here in Key West.

That's like comparing beef tenderloin to quail or pheasant, they're hardly the same game.

bdowning
03-14-2005, 08:57 AM
YFT aren't bad either. Up until last year I had eaten the store-bought, previously frozen stuff and was turned off. But the previously frozen doesn't hold a candle to the fresh article. Properly handled, it's like a tender Angus steak that swims ;) .

-bd

Duane,

BFT are the most delicious fish flesh that swims! BUT, it's so imperative that it be handles properly the second it hits the boat.

caperover
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I find tuna feeding on herring are fishier tasting than tuna feeding on sand eels. I don't know if others have the same experience...

stripah
03-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Get yourself ot to the Canyons on The Yankee Capts and get some Albacore they are truly the best tasting tuna of them all. However grilled sbft are not to bad either ;)

schwilp
03-14-2005, 04:04 PM
For sushi bluefin is hard to beat. Not bad grilled - but really fresh yellowfin - a small one - about 15 lbs is out of this world - way better.... (ditto for bigeye). Albacore is also yummy. Never tried skipjack (can you eat them?).

Fresh flounder is my favorite for inshore... though I still struggle with cleaning the buggers.

castingmaniac
03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Bluefin tuna is one of those long lived fish that live on top of the food chain. This makes them a source for bioaccumulated mercury, same goes with swordfish and some other big game species. I'm not saying don't eat it just that limit the intake and you should be fine.

stripah
03-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Skip Jack are edible but they have to been treated carefully basically the same as you would a bluefin, however even when treated very well they still dont compare to the others. Nothin like fresh sushi from a sbft after a long day on the water

Duane A
03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Thank's guys for the answers,I have enjoyed yellowfin,and also some Mahi-Mahi both excellent but am new to the BFT hunt.Thanks for the warnings on bleeding and keeping cold.So to all you Captains may I wish you "Tight Lines"and "Calm Seas" for the upcoming season!Thanks Duane

Luv2Fish
03-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Albacore #1 in the Tuna family
YFT top fillet w/ fatty (Dark Red) tissue removed
SBFT prepared same as YFT or Sushi (Raw) w/ wasabe
Ummm Ummm GOOD!

tunnie md
03-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Get yourself ot to the Canyons on The Yankee Capts and get some Albacore they are truly the best tasting tuna of them all.

That's the truth. Like nothing else in the ocean.

stripah
03-15-2005, 09:33 AM
I tell ya $ 300 dollars for the Capts is the best deal goin. On one trip a couple of years ago we got six albacore and some pup swordfish which were pretty cool to see obviously not eat. I also hooked up to a monster blue shark which was fun as well. One guy hooked up to an estimated 250 lb big eye which after a 3 hr fight broke off not 3 foot from gaff range. Great times good price a must do for everyone

tunnie md
03-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I tell ya $ 300 dollars for the Capts is the best deal goin. On one trip a couple of years ago we got six albacore and some pup swordfish which were pretty cool to see obviously not eat. I also hooked up to a monster blue shark which was fun as well. One guy hooked up to an estimated 250 lb big eye which after a 3 hr fight broke off not 3 foot from gaff range. Great times good price a must do for everyone

Got a link to that? Sounds fun.

stripah
03-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah its http://www.yankeecapts.com/ they go outta good old New Bedford at that time of year. Give Capt. Greg a call its a blast :)