PDA

View Full Version : Teasing up SBFT?

SamRiley
03-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I've heard that Schoolie Bluefin can be teased up with stingerless bars and chains, then targeted with flyrods. Question is, has anyone tried this or know more about how it's done?

Pauper Piscator
03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
But if gas is running $3 gallon and I am out 20 miles trolling for bluefins, everything behind the boat is going to have at LEAST one hook in it! --125-3

Jim Miller
03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
But if gas is running $3 gallon and I am out 20 miles trolling for bluefins, everything behind the boat is going to have at LEAST one hook in it!
:) :) ;)

Fin Addiction
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
A certain charter captain out of Chatham is supposed to use that technique with what I have heard good results. I have caught several school tuna on bars and for some reason I only get one knockdown at a time....It is rare to see bluefin in the spread and stay there....They generally crash through and are gone. I plan to try the technique this summer but like PP I plan to have hooks in my stingers... :cool:

SamRiley
03-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff.... good to see you here :)

soundownsam
03-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Tuna, because of the way the feed, do not tend to stay in a spread the same way that bill fish do. Billfish chase down their prey, stun them and then eat them tuna tend to just eat them or bust a large pod of bait and wait for some to start sinking in a way that is does not tend to work with trolling.

If you wanted shots with teh fly rod I think your best bet woud be to run and gun to find busting pods of fish and live chum like crazy to keep them up and feeding in a small area. This techinique is very succseful on black fins and YFT here in FL.

Sam

riptide
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Jeff a certain brainiack from another board has had EXCELLENT success with his hookless jet bars and fly fishing for SBFT. He claims they will pick at the bar like puppies till you toss them a fly.

flyfishsalt
05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I have had great success teasing bluefin with a spinning rod. We are only trolling to locate the fish, then I throw out the hookless bait, lure, popper, metal on the spinning rods and they will crash it like mad. They will hit one at a time, but there are 30-40 fish under that one. In adiditon I have found that the commotion on the surface really keeps them around the boat. I always turn my motor off and it does not hurt to know the fish are there and the water temps are over 68-70. In colder water it does not work.

This like anything is something that you will have much more success with if you are not rigged up with trolling gear and hoping for a 400 lb. monster for 90 % of the day, and only leave 10 % of the day to fly fishing. I always here people say we get a fish in the boat first, then we break out the fly rods. I have my best success early and late in the day...