PDA

View Full Version : Best Center Console

gregg4
04-27-2000, 09:16 PM
O.K. Guys, Opinions needed. What is the best center console boat that you have owned or that is on the market today? For my money I narrow it down to two. The 23 foot regulator. Which by the way I do not own but would one day love to. And secondly the Pre-brunswick era 21 foot boston whaler outrage. Chime in and give your opinion.

Ravioli
04-28-2000, 04:28 PM
I own a 23' Regulator. It is the best center console of its size that I have ever been on. (If you get one do not buy it from NorthEast Yacht Sales.);

DLWKFW
05-02-2000, 02:25 PM
I think that the Shamrock 220 open is a great over 20' CC. The stability of an inboard is not overrated. I'll also take a diesel inboard over the giant sucking sound of big outboards.

Under 20', I like the Maritime Skiff line and their efficiency at low power.

But any way... Chacun a son gout!

DW

gregg4
05-03-2000, 05:10 PM
What kind of problems did you have at the dealership? Also more iportantly I am really concerned about it rocking and rolling with such a deep vee. Is this a problem? And finally did you go with the twins or the single?

Thanks in advance.
Gregg

jbrooks544
06-12-2000, 04:10 PM
Hi, I bought a 19' Cape Codder last fall and it is unbelievable. It has a deep vee and goes through just about anything (waves). Mine is a restored 1973 so it is hand laid up and heavier than the new ones. They are still using the same molds and they do have one or two larger models. The builder is in an industrial zone off of depot street in Chatham MA. He is locally renowned as the finest builder hereabouts. This 19' boat is set up for off shore tuna fishing. Mine has a fully enclosed "phone booth" with radar, gps, fishfinder and a 140hp Suzuki and it goes about 32 kts. The larger ones can be had with inboard diesel or outboard(s) and I saw and ad for one in the latest "on the water" magazine. I know this sounds like an ad, but I have no relationship with them. If you go out tuna fishing, 20,30,40 miles out, you will find cape codder small boats catching them out there with the big guys.

cwn
09-04-2000, 12:03 AM
far and away the best production center console boats ever built in the twenty three foot range are the 231 and 224 mako boats built in the seventies and early eighties. Note the 224 Mako is a great fly fishing platform for inshore fishing.

niantic1
12-28-2000, 08:52 PM
cwn - I couldn't agree with you more. I own a 1986 224 Mako. It is in mint showroom condition. I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it in on a new boat, even if I could afford that new Regulator 23. It has not even one gelcoat crack. The Mako dealer I bought it from says it's Mako's best 22-23 foot hull they ever produced. Mine is completely filled with foam right up to the gunnels. Todays Makos are only filled less than halfway up the sides of the hull with foam. I removed the bowrail on mine and have an incredible fly fishing machine. The entire front half of the boat ahead of the console is at one level, which I really like too.

fishbuster1
01-27-2001, 07:38 PM
Sounds like you had the same idea that I had. My boat is a 1983 mako 224. I have removed the bowrail from my boat. Repowered it with a 225 johnson and installed a custom tackle locker/leaning post. I have also lightly sanded the entire hull with 1500 then 2000 sandpaper then compound and finally several coats of wax. The hull came up as good as new. I am currently guiding with the boat in Ocean City, NJ and have been extreamly satisfied with it's performance. I regularly fish the boat as far as 40 miles from shore but it is equally at home in the backwaters. I could not imagine a better inshore boat for the fly fisherman or light tackle enthusiast. CWN

niantic1
03-29-2001, 09:51 PM
Fishbuster1,

Curious. I run a 225 johnson on my boat too, a 1994 oceanrunner. What pitch prop are you using? I'm running a 17" stainless. I was thinking of trying a 19" to get better fuel economy and better speed at cruising rpm's. What do you think? I fish out of Niantic, CT. and run out as far as Montauk and back.