PDA

View Full Version : Casting help

clavinr
04-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi, I'm really new to fly fishing. I think I might be able to catch more fish if I could cast more than 10 feet.

Can anyone recommend a good instructor, or could I get some pointers on the beach? I live in Onset, so Cape Cod and teh South Shore works best for me.

Thank you. --126-3-

BobG
04-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm sure a lot of guys here could get you started in the right direction. What weight rod, line weight/type are you throwing?
But if you're looking for professional advice to really jump start your fly fishing, perhaps check out the Orvis school. I believe it's still held in Chatham May-August.
This is just an educated guess on my part, but I'll bet there are some excellent dvd's on the topic as well.

clavinr
04-17-2005, 05:36 AM
I looked up the Orvis school...looks good, just a little pricey $430 for a two day clinic. I picked up a couple of tapes from the library, that helped. I am seriously considering the Orvis school...just the money scares me off, especially if it is a large or slow moving group. Thanks for the help!

albacized
04-17-2005, 05:51 AM
As far as classes, you may be able to get off alot cheaper if you try smaller scale shops, such as Bears Den in Taunton. It may be worth it. I taught myself and in hindsight, I'm certain I lost some good years of catching fish because of it due to the slow learning curve involved. I started learning back in 1993 and have been what I'd term proficient with the fly rod for only something like 5 or 6 years. And even with that, I'm not the smoothest caster out there, but can at least get the job done now.

SageBoy
04-17-2005, 06:20 AM
There is a video that you can pick up from George Roberts that may help you a little. I picked it up and watch it every once in a while. It does have a lot of helpful tips.

stevec
04-17-2005, 07:46 AM
call up the local guides ands ask one of them if they are willing to give you an hour of their time.
Also, it may help to book a 4 or 6 hour trip with them.
Worked for me!

KBM
04-17-2005, 09:56 AM
First find a video or a book on the subject and get the basics down, then find some open space and practice its all in the backcast and tight loops. then your are ready for a lesson or a guide and welcome to the brotherhood.

uncle4
04-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I agree with Stevec ---

if you buy some gear (esp. a rod) from a local shop,
you're likely to get a bit of help casting it.

Ask a local guide for an hour (or two one hour) lesson...
should be much more reasonable than $430

Or, even BETTER, hire a guide for an hour of casting lessons,
then a couple of hours fishing. Let 'em know you're a be-
ginner looking to learn how to cast. It's in their best inter-
est to show you a good time and get you started.

Uncle 4

clavinr
04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the advice!

fleshfly
04-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Its like a golf swing, it will take plenty of practice/patience and time on the water, you'll always wish you could do better.

Some cast will be great, others will be hopless. Just when you think you got it down, you'll fall apart when you have an audience. Espeacialy when they have gills.

However, when it all comes together, it is quite a feeling. A feeling that comes from no other type of Angling. Someitimes the just the feeling of a few good casts will be enough to make it your day. Add a fish to end of your line, and you'll have your spinning gear on ebay before you know it.

ChuckD
04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Dave Skok(also a famous fly tyer)
His website: www.dwskok.com

I'm sure he's reasonable as his wade trips for 2 people are only $200.
I bet he knows where there are a few schoolies to be had now too ;)