PDA

View Full Version : No Cod off Salem

decapod
04-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Went diving today and did some cod fishing too. We went all over and out to 7 miles/200'. Marked fish but no nibbles on clam, jig or squid. Luckily I did well on scallops so I brought home dinner.

decapod
04-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Sort of thought that if they are off Marshfield that they should be off Salem. We sure marked alot of fish but no bites. Do folks catch cod near shore up there?

tjf02
04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I used to live in Salem (now in Shrewsbury) and the cod fishing was decent, along with flounder. No huge size to the fish but typical cod in the 10-15lb range. Once the bass and blues moved in the rest of the fishing died off a bit. Night fishing in around the rocky shorelines of the harbor was great for stripers, have to get back there this year for fishing and a few beverages at the floating restaraunt. Not sure the coast gaurd ever liked the idea of having a restaraunt/bar in the middle of the harbor with lots of boats tied up (recipie for disaster).

Tim

decapod
04-21-2005, 10:27 AM
LOL. That's where I live. Geez! We should carpool sometime. I'm an early morning diver/fisherman so I've never seen the restaurant but I'd like to.