PDA

View Full Version : Flats Boots Question

MarkR
05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
All - Thinking of getting a new pair of Patagonia's or Simms flats sneakers and wanted to know if anyone has any comments. Also, do you wear socks with those, sorry but I've only used neoprene in the past...

Thanks!

MDBones
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Mark -

I used a pair of Simms Boots for the past two years - great support but I ended up having to wear a pair of neoprene socks as an insert to keep the sand and mud out of the boots. Because of the hassle factor of putting on boots and then the shoes. I just purchased a pair of NRS Workshoes. It's basically a running shoe sole attached to a neoprene boot. They are featherlight and feel like a running shoe on your feet. They also make a work boot that might be a little closer to the ankle support found in the marl walkers and Simms boots. I used them in March and they were great.

Mike
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169

backwater
05-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I like the Simms flats boot myself. Although, just as many seem to like the Patagonia boot. I have found that I am able to keep out most of the annoying sand in the boot by using the Simms wet wading sock. Its a sock that is designed to be used with the boot. Its pretty long and can be folded down about mid-calf to cover the gap in the boot and the laces, etc. I am sure that other really long sock might work too, but the simms seem to dry pretty fast and when you look at them, and see where they have been reinforced, you can see that some thought went into their design. I used them on my last trip and never had a problem with sand irratating my feet. I would recommend a couple of pairs as its nice to be able to switch off the wet ones for the dry ones.

Tom

uncle4
05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I have both.

I found the Simms more comfortable. I find the
Patagonia keeps the sand/coral/gunk out better.

I wear socks with both. When I travel south, I usually
hit WalMart or such and get a pack of white athletic
tube socks for $4 or so. That way they're "use and
dispose" inserts.

My Simms booties are 3 years old (I think) and they're
starting to disintegrate. The marlwalkers are still hanging
tough.

Over all I'd say I like the Simms... but I'm none-to-happy
about their endurance/life span.

Cheers,

Uncle 4

mbrown
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
have used 'em all-right now my favorite is the Patagonia marlwalker II,they seem to do a better job of keeping sand out.(this was my biggest problem with the Simms) I have several friends who like the byte(sp?) sneaker.Mick

Vic T
05-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Patagonia Marlwakers with neoprene sox ... comfortable for all day wading and not a bit of sand inside yet.

fabrahamson
05-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I bought a pair of Marlwalker I's on closeout for a recent diy trip on Acklins. Lots of hiking over spiky coral and though mud. Great support, protection, little sand inside and comfortable. Had blisters by the end of the trip but, as I said, we did an awful lot of pounding. Socks are a must for extended periods on your feet. I got mine to size but my feet are on the narrow side. Word is, if you have a wide foot, go up a size.

MarkR
05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks all, going with teh Marlwalker 2's

Count
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Vic, can you recommend a certain brand/model of neoprene socks? Most I've seen have been pretty thick and I'm not sure they'd work with my boots.

Do you have to order your boots one size larger to accommodate the neoprene socks?

Thanks,

Count

wyomingart
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Wore out several pairs of flats boots on coral, limestone, ironshore,
etc. now use only Soloman's water shoes ( cana't think of their exact model name, but they have several good ones. ( see www.zappos.com )

Neoprene socks: try Northwest River Supply, Cascade outfitters, or in desperation, Cabella's. 3mm are better if you can find them and sometimes fish in cold water, 2 mm OK, 1 mm will wear out pretty fast if you wade near sand.
Art in Wyoming

teflon_jones
05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I have a pair of the Chota neoprene flats booties that I'm a big fan of. If I wear long pants that go over the top of them, I don't really worry about wearing socks since nothing seems to get inside them. If I wear shorts, I wear some white athletic socks inside them.

uncle4
05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Check out Seal Skinz.

Pricey but durable and functional

Uncle 4

Vic T
05-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Count,

LL Bean sells them for about $10 per pair. Go to www.llbean.com and do a search for neoprene socks (not "sox"); you'll see the ones that I use. If the boot is a bit tight without the neoprene sock - then go a half size size larger for your boot, but no more than that. I don't have time right now to go up the attic and check the manufacturer of the socks for you, but I could later if you need it.

I lent my spare pair of socks to a friend on our recent trip and it saved the trip for him; he had been wearing cotton socks the first day and was limping badly by happy hour. Didn't want to spend the $10 for neoprene socks (on a $3,000 trip) ... go figure.

Vic

Count
05-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I'll check them out, Vic. Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate it.

Count

mbrown
05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
ditto on the seal skinz-they stay in place very well.I don't know what they are made of,but the stuff sure is durable.Rinse them and dry at night,the unattended funk factor is high ! Mick