PDA

View Full Version : travelling with fishing reels

CaptGeneKelly
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
i just came back from guatemala, flying out of jfk.
they would not allow the reels as carry-ons, or more specifically the line, and i had to check them.
this might be something new, because i flew down in january without a problem, but had the same thing happen on the return a couple of days later, but i thought it might have been a guatemala thing.

Jim Royston
05-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Did they not allow reels carried on at JFK or just inbound from Guatemala?
I have the same thing happen to me returning to DFW from Cancun. I can carry on going down but can't coming back.

CaptGeneKelly
05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
At terminal 4 at JFK they wouldn't allow them

Did they not allow reels carried on at JFK or just inbound from Guatemala?
I have the same thing happen to me returning to DFW from Cancun. I can carry on going down but can't coming back.

teflon_jones
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I went to South Andros in December and carried on a 3 travel rods in separate cases, a fly reel, 2 spinning reels, two boxes of flies, a box of spinning lures, and various leaders. I didn't have any trouble at all, flying out of Boston to Nassau via Miami on American.

WatsonMD
05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I recently took three Vortex reels through security in Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, & Washington. No issues!!! I printed to TSA page regarding taking fishing stuff on board. When confronted with the facts they let me pass. Also, had two 4 piece T3 rods and no problem with their either.

feedingfrenzzzy
05-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Just got back from Turneffe on Wed. - no problems at all carrying on all my reels in both directions. Sounds like it varies from airport to airport.

rlbgfish173
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
It varies with one TSA agent to another, after the first time I was told I could not carry on reels I just use the TSA locks and keep the fingers crossed. :mad:

MarkR
05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Feedingfrenzzy - I'm heading there the end of the month, anything work particularly well?

TerryH
05-29-2005, 06:43 PM
i just came back from guatemala, flying out of jfk.
they would not allow the reels as carry-ons, or more specifically the line, and i had to check them.
this might be something new, because i flew down in january without a problem, but had the same thing happen on the return a couple of days later, but i thought it might have been a guatemala thing.

I had the same problem flying out of Montreal. I just returned from Belize flying through LaGuardia and did not have a problem. Considering the value and hassle if lost or stolen, I really hate checking them.

bowbonehead
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I got grilled about my reels in my carry-on coming back from Cuba shortly after 9/11 although they didn`t say a thing about my rod tubes. I now only travel with 4 or 5 peice rods and put everything in my suitcase no issues since in 4 trips.

wyomingart
05-31-2005, 04:35 PM
The TSA agents aren't all on the same page. I was told the line could be used to garrote someone. When I said "shoelaces could do the same thing," I got nowhere. Good luck. Wyoming Art