PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Cod?

capemike88
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I was thinking of heading 1/2-1 mile off either PI or Sailsbury beaches in hopes of jiggin up some cod this weekend, think its worth it?

Mike

JigMaster5
05-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I've heard there's cod by Deer Island shadowing the schools of herring. Not sure if I would eat the cod near Deer Island - but that's just me.

-j5

capemike88
05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Really? Way up river?

BigK
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
The wind is supposed to be bad and that area can be even worse. Use good judgement. I tell my wife and kids anytime you go out on a boat there is a good chance you won't come back. You guys in the yaks are very brave but you scare the crap out of me sometimes. If you can bring a cell phone and/or have another reel timer in the area keep an eye out for you. There are place in Boston harbor Shaun Ruge can help you with some spots. Post on the kayak forum. Good Luck!

mendy
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Mike,

I believe he was talking about Deer Island in Boston Harbor, not the one in the Merrimack. I have taken cod on soft plastics and FLIES around Deer Island and the airport flats in <10 feet of water. They follow the herring right up into the harbor this time of year.

FWIW I havent bottom fished in quite a while up your way (when I was in high school back in the late 80's early 90's, I worked as a mate on the old Victor E III and fished a ton) but I have heard the humps just off the PI Beach arent that productive for cod these days. As I said, there are plenty of codfish within a short paddle from the Boston Harbor Deer Island if you're interested.

SamRiley
05-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Sent you a PM Mike

capemike88
05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys, maybe next weekend, this one doesn't look to promising.