PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Waders

jpkil318
05-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey sorry another wader question
I am curretly looking to upgrade my waders and was wondering if anyone has tried the conversion waders made by a couple of the companies. These waders are boot foot but I guess the boots lace so its like wearing stocking foot with boots but it will have the benefits of bootfoot waders. I was wondering if anyone who has tried these have worn them in the surf and beachs to see if these still have problems with sadn getting in.
Thanks

boba
05-12-2005, 12:15 AM
I'm interested in the lace-up bootfoots too. I'll need to replace my current bootfoots and would like the ankle support. I can't buy any normal boots due to wide feet.

billsea
05-12-2005, 05:06 AM
I have been using the Orvis Silver Label bootfoot waders for about 5 years. These are the ones with the lace-up boots built in to the wader. They are great. No extra boots to carry around. The built in boot is smaller and lighter than any boot that you would use with a stocking foot wader. They are better for stream fishing because the smaller outline means less force from the running water, and they are smaller so they get between rocks a little better. I use them in the surf all the time. Never had any problems with sand because there is no place for it to collect. Also there is no way to get wrinkles in the stocking foot when you put the boot on. I am lucky because mine fit very well. This is always the most important thing when buying shoes. The lace up feature gives a nice tight fit, and I have hiked a log way in them with no problem. You will always be the first one into the water because they are much easier to put on. JMHO

fabrahamson
05-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Ditto on the silverlabel hiking boot. Used them for five years. developed a leak in the fourth year and Orvis replaced them. Got less than a season out of the second pair. they were obviously "value" engineered over time. Orvis gave me a gift card that I applied to the new XT tailwaters. These have an integrated wadeing boot and appear to be well made. Havn't used them yet but have heard good things.

fishinbill
05-12-2005, 09:31 AM
I had a similar experience with the Orvis Silver Label integrated boots. They fit well, did not let in sand, but did not hold up well at all. The waders were prone to leaks and would tear easily. (This happened in the upper section and was not related to the boot design) I returned three or four pair and finally got fed up. Now I wade in a set of LL Bean's with a separate boot. The Orvis design is a good idea, poorly executed.

This info. is about two years old, and I don't know if Orvis has updated the waders since then.

msiler
05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I too used the Orvis Silver Label Bootfoot waders for the last 3 years on the beaches, rocks and in the surf of New England.

Pros:
Really quick and easy to put on
Easy to travel with (you never forget your boots)
Good fit (for me at least)
Lace system works well
Sturdy and durable boots
No gravel guards to lose or fit over your shoes
NEVER any sand to worry about or wrinkled booties

Cons:
Heavier boot and I think a little "clunkier" than a regular boot
Tough to fit foot sizes or shapes may not fit available sizes

Mine leaked twice and Orvis happily and quickly replaced them for me at MY convenience (took about 10 days to ship and get a new pair).

I really liked mine as I watched friends "struggle" into their non-bootfoot waders. I jump into mine and would be waiting for them or on the way to the water as they wriggled into their waders and boots.

That being said when mine leaked for the 3rd year in a row (in the crotch each time) I had Orvis upgrade me to a new pair of regular waders (for a small additional charge) and I will now use a seperate studded felt boot. The waders they gave me have an integrated gravel guard...I'll report back after the season is over.

Rocktrout
05-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Also looking to get into bootfoots for speed and for lack of sand collection when fishing surf. I am concerned about the 'clunkiness' of the bootfoots I have tried in the past and I want to use them for stream fishing too. Anyone heard/got any experience with these:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=40389&parentCategory=3934&cat4=1109&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa1109

Cheers,
Adam

Chuckster
05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
My buddy has a pair and loves them... all the pros of those listed above with no leaks. He makes a point of reminding me how nice they are as we're stopped in the surf while I'm emptying globs of wet sand from my wading boots...

Mattb
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Adam, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I tried on a pair of the Bean's lace up bootfoot waders a couple of weeks ago.

I was very impressed. The boots were quite comfy. They did seem a bit clunky/boxy, but no more so than any of the wading boots I currently use with my stockingfoot waders. They seemed pretty well put together, but it's Bean's so you know you're covered if they happen to fail prematurely.