PDA

View Full Version : montauk conditions

mattmiller
05-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I had a look at the area from the inlet to the point today,whilst sea testing my boat.It felt colder than november out there,due to the water temp.There were no signs of fish,apart from the charters fishing for,and catching fluke.Back at uhleins dock i spoke with a group who had been diving off the point and they reported that they saw no sign either,also they said that the water temp near the bottom was only 44 degrees.So i fear that apart from the bay,which is beginning to kick off, it will be some time before we see a repeat of the fabulous spring run fishing which we had at the end of may and june last year.Matt

albacized
05-14-2005, 06:09 AM
I had a look at the area from the inlet to the point today,whilst sea testing my boat.It felt colder than november out there,due to the water temp.There were no signs of fish,apart from the charters fishing for,and catching fluke.Back at uhleins dock i spoke with a group who had been diving off the point and they reported that they saw no sign either,also they said that the water temp near the bottom was only 44 degrees.So i fear that apart from the bay,which is beginning to kick off, it will be some time before we see a repeat of the fabulous spring run fishing which we had at the end of may and june last year.Matt

I don't think you'd see fluke in 44 degree water. The water's still cool because it's only mid-may right now. But the stripers (not holdovers) have already been caught as far north as the Merrimac River, MA which is near the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border. I also know from my brother's reports that to your west (much closer to NYC), the bass fishing has been terrific as well. Also, bluefish have already hit Cape Cod.

mattmiller
05-14-2005, 09:37 AM
well the fluke are there and yes there are a few bass around,a friend of mine had two at 27in off the beach at georgica and there have been plenty of shorts as usual at this time of year.The water temps are slightly lower than last year but it will be a week or two before the run starts.June along with november are my favorite times of the year to fish, so i am greatly looking foreward to,hopefully,a repeat of last year.

fmw
05-16-2005, 08:44 AM
I too took my boat on the shakedown cruise on Saturday afternoon at Montauk and agree that it felt like several weeks till good fly fishing out there, unless you want to throw a herring fly at seals. Water temps were 47ish in ocean and 52 at my marina dock. I took along a fluke rod and caught a couple keepers and some shorts, though that fishing was a pick and the fluke were not quite as large as I expected for mid-May.

I also flyfished a little bit on both Sat. and Sun. morning. Sat. caught a couple really tiny fish at NW Creek. On Sun., went to 3 Mile and caught none, though saw one other shore based fisherman and one boater hooked up and I heard the schoolies have been in good there. My problem was I was fishing the channel and the tide was really whipping through and could not get a good retrieve, even with 400 grain line.

danny
05-16-2005, 09:10 AM
everything is late, everywhere. but i personally know of guys who fished montauk yesterday and they caught 8 keeper fluke. (and they're not even local). fish are around, you have to work for them, and no, it's not like this time last year.

mattmiller
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
The good news is that peconic bay has started to produce fish,bass to 7lb and blues to 6-7lb.Also the weakfish have appeared back at robin's and the adjacent southern shore.
last year was very similar at this time,on the 17th i took out a charter,nothing off montauk of course, but plenty of blues around gardiners.I remember being anxious as usual for the fishing to bust open,and as i say, the begining of june produced some of the finest striper fishing that i have ever seen in the spring,with sinking lines out at the northern rips and intermediate on the south side bringing multiple fish to 30+ pounds.All with only a couple of other small boats in sight.The fish at this time being in condition to strip off 200ft of backing and making 10wts essential especially in the rips with the fish using the tide and the greater depths.So hang on,in a week or two we will be telling a very different story!

joshr
05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
My father called last night and said he had taken some 6-7 lb. blues on fly wading in Acabonac cut this weekend...nothing busting the surface and no birds but lots of fish down below. He was fishing a floater (had been expecting to wade the flat east of the cut for bass) and fish came up for it. Sounds like there have been schoolies in there too but I bet these mid-size blues have run them out for a bit.

--Josh

albacized
05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
My point is that I'm doubting the accuracy of the water temp readings since it's 46-48 degrees off Boston Harbor. I know they're catching the fish that were mentioned.

mattmiller
05-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Despite my predictions.a friend just reported that after fishing the south side for fluke,he was returning and saw bass all over the surface at the elbow off the point on squid,on the incoming at about 4.00.He had two at 33 & 30ins and reported warmer water and lots of bait,see you out there.