PDA

View Full Version : Curious ??

flyfishermannh
05-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Over the last week I have posted twice to say that we have had some luck at fishing the Merrimac. As the stripers have ranged between 12" and 29", have they ALL been holdovers?

It surprises me that so few positive posts are coming from the Merrimac

JimC
05-20-2005, 06:52 AM
I've fished 4, 2-3 hour stints since last Sunday. Each time I took between 6 and maybe 18 fish. What has been unusual was the large number of 10 & 11" fish in the mix. The last few years our early season fish are predominantly have been in the 18 to 22" range. On the other hand I seem to get the first legal fish earlier and earlier each year.

IMO, while none of the fish I took had much in the way of sea lice, I don't think hey were holdovers because their coloration was too bright for a fish to have been muddy river all winter. Heck, even the small fish that take up residence on the bar behind #11 take on a light sandy color by the middle of July. My sense is that the colors change fairly quickly and the holdovers tend to be very dark.

flyfishermannh
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I've fished 4, 2-3 hour stints since last Sunday. Each time I took between 6 and maybe 18 fish. What has been unusual was the large number of 10 & 11" fish in the mix. The last few years our early season fish are predominantly have been in the 18 to 22" range. On the other hand I seem to get the first legal fish earlier and earlier each year.

IMO, while none of the fish I took had much in the way of sea lice, I don't think hey were holdovers because their coloration was too bright for a fish to have been muddy river all winter. Heck, even the small fish that take up residence on the bar behind #11 take on a light sandy color by the middle of July. My sense is that the colors change fairly quickly and the holdovers tend to be very dark.

Hi

The fish that we have taken have all been bright fish, except for 1. It was a fairly large striper, that looked like it had been attacked by a bluefish.

Thanks for coming back. My curiosity was also as to why I had no replies to either of my Merrimac messages this week. Almost, as if I was not being believed

featherbaiter
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I think that people read reports but don't respond unless they have something to add. Don't take it personally, all reports are helpful to others since it can be a major production to get out there, it helps to know what is going on.

bass3six
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Same here....I agree with Jim C. ( for the most part).
Had to scratch my head with my first fish of the season being "a legal".
All fish have been bright...but no lice.
I don't recall seeing lice on fish that get past downtown Newburyport.
Many people catch and don't report, especially early in the season, so they can fish a few days before the masses get out and about.
It should break wide open any day now....where fish will be everywhere.

sandy
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
The two I caught from PI beach the other day did not contain lice.

featherbaiter
05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
What's interesting to me about the lice situation, is that I can't remember catching any bass in the Mack with lice. Last year I caught over 100 in that river. I fished at Monomoy on the 4th of July and saw lice for the first time and didn't know what they were. The stripers that I've caught this year in the river were very bright and were lice free. Maybe all of the contaminants from Lowell kill lice and bleach stripers.

As an aside, I think I drifted past about three chords of firewood in the river this week. What the heck is that all about?

stingray
05-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Maybe all of the contaminants from Lowell kill lice and bleach stripers.

Maybe it's time gargle with the lowell water, the secret to whiter teeth.

Hey Shawn,

I haven't fished the river yet but will be out tonight after work. Only had 1 trip this year annd that was offshore for cod. Will post tomorrow with my findings. Any other takers for this evening??? May be the last decent weather for a while.

featherbaiter
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey Bob,

I'd love to go tonight, but I'm leaving for Texas in a couple of hours. Can't wait to read your post.