PDA

View Full Version : Weather Forecast

wasabi
05-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey, I know that complaining about the weather in Boston is somewhat like kids complaining about school food but the last 5 or 6 weeks have been extraordinary! To top it off, I think that this Nor'easter is messing everything up. What does this a typical storm like this do to the stripers? What kind of fishing can we look forward to this weekend? Hope we can start this summer off right!

Paul Cheever
05-23-2005, 06:04 PM
The biggest problem as far as how this kind of weather would effect striper fishing has more to do with the barametric changes and how severe and prolonged the system remains ,once a system approaches there will be changes in barametric pressure but this will steady out and the fish will resume their normal behaiver,any type of tropical storm with really turbulent seas and higher than normal waves will send the fish to deeper water to escape all the sand and sediment churning about near shore,as this tends to bother their gills so breathing gets difficult The first day of a storm is usually some of the best fishing as the waves churn up the bottom dislodging sandeels.mole crabs and tosses the bait fish around ,stripers key on this and will be found right in the wash and foam.I look forward to weather like this to fish the beaches along Cape Cod bay when there is to be a N,NW. or NE.wind I've caught some of my biggest fish in these conditions.I guess in reality it's the fisherman that is put off by this weather more than the fish, the fish are out there ,but are we willing to brave the elements to go get them?

ruge13
05-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Agree. Think of it this way, in your environment, you sometimes hunt for change under your car seats, in the couch, etc. Now imagine a giant power washer churning everything up so there is free money floating in the air all over the place. No more hunting for change, just grab at the air. Would you lock yourself in the basement to avoid it? Storms are like those grab a dollar machines that blow the money around, accept with food for stripes. Beach weather for Stripes. It only takes a tide or two to clear things up.

TFOLE
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Just a thought but in addition to barometric changes and their influence, the temperatures of late have been hanging in the 50's,which I'm assuming should stabilize H2O temps which then might keep fish feeding and active longer during tide phases and daylight hours. My English prof. would murder me for a sentence that long.

It always seemed to me the quicker temps. rose in May and early June the slower the fishing started to get during daylight hours. I'm not quite ready for the body bag night time trips yet. So, maybe this is all self gratifying prophecy on my part.

Bottom line , the snottier the weather, the more I like it.

Tom

Sentience
05-24-2005, 07:28 AM
the only silver lining i can think of is that it might keep the stripers around a few more weeks in july. it is extremely frustrating.

Irish Rover
05-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey lads,
Just wondering im gonna be over your side of the pond in three weeks and just wondering what sort of air temps and weather conditions im gonna be looking at on the cape??? I cant wait to get over there and sample your sw fishing i am drooling at your reports i am currently doong end of semester tests and it is driving me nuts listening to your reports --124-3 Hope to possibly see some of you on the cape during my stay.... --127-3-

Tight lines

Cathal :-%

Paul Cheever
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
TFOLE,temperture is is very important,the cooler water temps and the extra turbulence in the water from the storms,helps delute more oxygen in the water,combine this with bait and you have the perfect enviroment to keep the stripers around longer.I'm thinking since Cape Cod bay is not influenced by the gulf stream until later on in the season,the cooler temps that we are having now ,combined with the length of time it will take the bay to warm up may make this an exceptional striper season along the bay.Any thoughts?

bdowning
05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Well it should be *averaging* high 60s F right now! Instead it seems like it's been in the 40s and low 50s for weeks. I'd say expect low to mid 70s on average by mid-June, if Mother Nature cooperates. As for fishing, that time period is usually prime for big bass and blues.

-bd

Hey lads,
Just wondering im gonna be over your side of the pond in three weeks and just wondering what sort of air temps and weather conditions im gonna be looking at on the cape??? I cant wait to get over there and sample your sw fishing i am drooling at your reports i am currently doong end of semester tests and it is driving me nuts listening to your reports --124-3 Hope to possibly see some of you on the cape during my stay.... --127-3-

Tight lines

Cathal :-%

boba
05-24-2005, 11:07 PM
And you can be sure the weather will be into the 90's summer heat with no transition like last year when this incredible spate of bad weather is over. However, despite the horrible weather, the fishing has been really good. Go figure! :confused:

wasabi
05-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Does anybody have any weather/fishing condition predictions for the upcoming long weekend in the Boston area?

Weather.com is forecasting a somewhat decent weekend. saturday is rain but Sunday and Monday is partly cloudy with just a few showers. I'll HAPPILY take that compared to what we've been dealing with lately.

Will it be back to business as usual for the stripers? Or should we just plan a Cod trip?

Paul Cheever
05-25-2005, 04:40 PM
The fishing for stripers has been better than buisness as usual since they arrived several weeks ago,a little uncomfortable,wet and windy but that is to be expected fishing the surf.I'll take dark damp snotty weather any day for surf fishing over blue bird days.When the weather is fair and fit for sun bathing it time to loose sleep and prowl the surf at night.

Poppr
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Winds back to the high single digits by Friday a.m. (EARLY!) according to weather.com.

Same rainy conditions but at least not rain AND wind.

Still will be cool though.

BCM
05-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Not that its that hard with the current weather, but the forecast is looking slightly better for the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

Redliner
05-25-2005, 09:56 PM
This is the forecast from noaa for IOS

SAT
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.

SAT NIGHT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING W AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
1 TO 3 FT.

SUN
NE WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING S AROUND 5 KT. SEAS 1 TO
3 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

MON
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT.

Looks pretty good?.. Red

bdowning
05-26-2005, 07:58 AM
In parts of SE Alaska, they call showers "liquid sunshine," since they get anywhere from 90-140 inches of rain a year and pretty much have to embrace it. If it rained all the time here, we'd probably consider low 50s and drizzle beach weather too. The problem is we get teased just enough with occasional breaks of sun to crave it ;) .

-bd

Does anybody have any weather/fishing condition predictions for the upcoming long weekend in the Boston area?

Weather.com is forecasting a somewhat decent weekend. saturday is rain but Sunday and Monday is partly cloudy with just a few showers. I'll HAPPILY take that compared to what we've been dealing with lately.

Will it be back to business as usual for the stripers? Or should we just plan a Cod trip?

uncle4
05-26-2005, 08:46 AM
And SPEAKING of alaska.

Today's forecast high temps:

BOSTON 45
ANCHORAGE 47

Ya just gotta love it.

Uncle 4