PDA

View Full Version : First Time on the Fly in Ocean City, NJ

mfxmurray
05-24-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for a little help. I'm a newbie to saltwater fly fishing and will be in Ocean City, NJ a lot this summer. Anyone got any advice on where to begin?

John Wade
05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Take a casting lesson or two-you'll speed up the curve a whole lot!

Leave your conventional gear at home so the urge to cop out on the flyrod is gone (I didn't!).

Enjoy! It really is more fun!

mfxmurray
05-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks. Any advice on the type of gear? Line, weight, flys? I don't have a boat (I do have a kayak) so the surf is probably my best bet?

tglynos
05-25-2005, 05:16 PM
You'll need a 9wt/9ft fly rod, Good large arbor reel made specifically for saltwater, an intermediate line weight forward(to start), waders/boots, a selection of flies(clousers, decievers, jiggie flies, poppers, 1/2and1/2's to start), a few other nick nacks, and a good fly shop and book on fly fishing saltwater to get you started. Summer is more or less a slow time except for night from my research, but yo udon't know unless you try. Look for inlets, jetties and fishy looking structure(which you will have to learn about). It's a great learning experience, and frustating, but stick with it and it starts to come together. Good luck. Again, your best bet is to talk to a flyshop that has experience with coastal saltwater fly fishing and take a lesson.