PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Is vs Bahamas for Bones

randyw
06-04-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm looking for a "family friendly" spot for bone fishing, beach,snorkeling,good but not too expensive accomodations. Wonder if the Virgin Islands or a Bahamian spot would be better. I have found good bonefishing sites around the world, but none that would keep a 6 yr old happy
Thanks

Count
06-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Hi Randy,

I was looking for the same earlier this year and decided on the Florida Keys. Plenty of stuff for the family to do while you're bonefishing.

Good luck,

Count

Capt.ChrisLembo
06-06-2005, 10:53 AM
You will catch bonefish 10-1 over the keys if you hit the bahamas. The Keys Bonefish are very large but very wary and few and far between compared to the Bahamas. Bahamas fish are small but you can easily hook into 5 per hour in the right spots/tides. There is alot to do in the bahamas. Keys bones have PHd's in stealth and have tremendous pressure. You can catch more Bonefish in the Miami area than the Keys. Now if Permit,Tarpon, Sharks, Dolphin, Snapper, Grouper were your targets the Keys are #1.

My buddy just got back from a family vacation (Atlantis) and took two 1/2 day fishing. The guide picked him up at his resort at 8:00 am and went about 3 miles dropped him to wade a flat and he was hooked up within 15 seconds. He was in schools of 1000's of fish in the 3-6 pound range. He caught 50+ fish between 3-6 and 2 over 10 pounds in the two days. all in 2 4 hr wade trips.

Find a resort and satisfy the wife/kids and find/book a guide before you get there. The guides are less expensive than the keys. You will wade more than fish from the boat. you might get dropped off and the guide take off and pick you up later. Bring your own 8 and 9 weights. floating lines of course.

Nassau Frank
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
captain, you've got a PM. Gotta know 'bout dis 'ting.

Jim Royston
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah Frank. Enquiring minds want to know! Who and where?

randyw
06-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks Capt Lembo. I have been to the keys, got zero bones on the fly but my partner got 2 - ten pounders on bait. I'm still wondering if the Virgin islands would have some advantages over the Bahamas, ie warmer weather in winter, and perhaps less pressure. The bahamas look good though. Thanks again

OceanRunner
06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Randy,

For what it's worth, I've fished the Abacos, USVI and BVI, and with the exception of Anagada, the Abacos are far better for Bones. Another spot you might consider is the Caicos, which has some great fishing for big bones, with good snorkeling as well.

Good luck!

Abaco
06-09-2005, 05:30 AM
I think we have what you are looking for on Lubbers Quarters www.watercolourscottages.com Bone fish flats twelve minutes from our dock, great beaches on Lubbers and several other islands just a short hop to. Snorkling all around us and the Sandy Cay reef Park just a short hop from Lubbers. Tilloo cut to the ocean two minutes away. Fifteen minutes to Hopetown for resturants and groceries. Private dock is fiftey feet from tthe cottage Aand a great view of the sea of Abaco from the cottage.

Pati
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Abaco is a great place to bonefish. We also have a cottage with plenty of amenties and close to a restaurant. Plenty of guides, if needed. Children welcome, beach close by, and good fishing off the dock. Please visit and you may email me if you have any questions.www.summerviewcottage.com

echo
06-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I've spent lots of time on St.John USVI. It's a great place, the wife and I love it there, but it's not really a fishing destination. I've caught a few bones there and always take several rods/reels, but if I was looking to get into really GOOD fishing I would look elsewhere.

Nassau Frank
06-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Captchrislembo said..."My buddy just got back from a family vacation (Atlantis) and took two 1/2 day fishing. The guide picked him up at his resort at 8:00 am and went about 3 miles dropped him to wade a flat and he was hooked up within 15 seconds. He was in schools of 1000's of fish in the 3-6 pound range. He caught 50+ fish between 3-6 and 2 over 10 pounds in the two days. all in 2 4 hr wade trips."

Fess up time Name of guide? location? Gotta know.

Capt.ChrisLembo
06-12-2005, 02:38 PM
He could not remember the guides name but that he picked up his flyer in the hotel and the guide traveled over 50 miles to pick him up. He thinks he was from Queensland? He then fished after no more than a 15 minute boat ride from the hotel.

My buddy is a former Special Forces on PTSD so his memory for names & detail is a little shot.

Nassau Frank
06-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks, I'll go to Atlantis tommorow and check it out.