PDA

View Full Version : Scituate 7/5 - 7/10

edsly42
07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Fished a handful of times at the mouth of the north river. each time relatively limited in time but at the bottom of the tide, generally had a steady pick of small stripers and blues. they fed aggresively wed night in a nasty wind and rain storm but all i was really picking up were small fish. not sure if i wouldve had better luck if i couldve casted further w/out the wind or stuck around longer, it was just too cold and wet. also non ff report, out on friends boat yesterday just off pegotty beach and someone in the boat was casting mack chunks in toward the rocks, after i basically figured high sun on a hot wkend day wouldnt yield much. to my surprise, he landed a healthy looking 26" striper. water was still cool but i was shocked to see the midday fish. anyway, great trip home fishing and otherwise and thanks to all who replied to my posts asking for suggestions.
ed

swashy
07-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Welcome to July...and most of Augus too. The summer rats have taken their usual positions. Went out Friday morning in fairly snotty conditions and only managed a few shorts. Took my son out this evening with more of the same. We did run out front for a second and found a few fish finning the surface off 3rd cliff. Took a few cast at them but didn't catch anything... Not sure what they were. Could have been dogs (or spotted pigmy makos --125-3 ). Are they around yet???

I should be back out Wed AM.

mendy
07-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Ed,

Bass will eat bait anytime, day or night, bright sun or overcast...

Capt.Sickdog
07-12-2005, 06:29 AM
fished from the mouth to scituate with no hook up last night. ton of dog fish down low.

Blackjack
07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Ed -

It was great to meet you, and I think you saw one of the best surface feeds when we got out - it has been deadsville ever since.

edsly42
07-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Cannonball,
Thanks again for letting me join you, that was awesome to see all those fish on top. May have to set something up in the fall if I can make it home again. Its all trout for me for now though. couple of nice cutthroats nymphing on the hoback river south of jackson hole last night, in case anyone is interested.

Mendy,
yeah i guess it just goes to show that its always worth having a line in the water. I wonder if that same fish would let fly after fly swim by him but come up and aggressively eat that chunk. Cant say I was testing the theory.

DRYFLY
07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
nymphing on the hoback... im interested

big water year out there effecting the fishing on the snake tribs at all??

edsly42
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
late, wet spring but we need it out here. all rivers were still high and murky when i headed back to boston june 29th, not much was fishing around jackson area besides the south fork in idaho(tailwater) and lakes. i got back sunday july, 10th and everything is fishing well now. snake, hoback, grosventre, teton, yellowstone np. water is still high but hopefully thatll keep the fishing steady thru august, sept. the tribs are high for this time of year, a little above ideal wading, but clear. only way i can survive w/out stripers for the next two months is to catch tons of trout and its looking good right now. Familiar with the area, DRYFLY?

DRYFLY
07-12-2005, 04:44 PM
yeah pretty familiar... more of a winter place for me, but 2 years ago i bought some land in teton valley so as i go forward i expect to build and of course visit as much as possible.... my buddy runs a big outfitter based in victor (2004 orvis outfitter of the year) and he treats me very well when i go out.... the south fork, snake (and all its tribs), teton, henry's fork i love'm all and am jealous of the life you guys (especially the trout bums) have out there

i just cant seem to convince the fiancee that life in tetonia idaho is better than boston......

edsly42
07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
if your buddy is fletcher white or mike dawes, i worked for him last season and know them well. good guys. i was their cook at the south fork hilton and guided a couple trips on the snake.

swashy
07-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Just an update..more of the same. Plenty of schoolies around this morning. All over on top just up from Damon's. Also a few small blues down by the spit. My buddy managed one keeper out by the rocks at 4th cliff but he managed to slip off as I was fiddling with the boga...doh. Only good fish of the morning....everything else was way smaller.

edsly42
07-13-2005, 10:36 AM
thanks for the report swashy. fishing from a boat i assume. still seeing some small herring in there or is it mostly sandeels?

swashy
07-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Yes...boat. Haven't seen a herring in a while. Last week I saw what I thought were clouds of juvi sand eels...but they may have been juvi silversides. Really small and really wiggly. Today they were coughing up smaller rounder silver baits...more round...peanut bunker perhaps. I'm not great on my baits but the were only and inch or two long, probably 3/4 of an inch high and all silver.