PDA

View Full Version : Scar Hill Smallie

Jimi
07-11-2005, 10:19 PM
This fish was caught on a black Senko. Picture doesnt do him justice. Fought like a 5 lb largemouth.

metalhack
07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
This fish was caught on a black Senko. Picture doesnt do him justice. Fought like a 5 lb largemouth.
Nice....Those smallies do fight with a big attitude dont they.

tjf02
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
That looks like good food for the laker this guy caught on Sunday. This was the bigger of two I saw him pull in, the other was in the 9lb range.

BayStateFishing
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Got this guy on a senko too... last weekend

2.75 lb! (sounds small but this fish was a champ)

Picture doesn't have anything to show perspective, but this thing was a "chunk" a chaaaly moore says.
Click the "attached" to see a full size image.

http://www.baystatefishing.com/images/web_images/fish/smallmouth/smallmouth_cellarholes_200.jpg

Jimi
07-12-2005, 06:08 PM
That is a nice smallie! What color were you using?

teflon_jones
07-14-2005, 10:47 AM
I caught a bunch of big ones up in Maine a couple of weeks ago. There were 3 that all went over 17 inches and were 2.5-3 lbs. On a 4 wt fly rod in a river current they were one hell of a fight! --127-3-

Chuckster
07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Teflon,

Same here, only I was on the White River in VT... it typically produces smallies like this, if you're targeting them...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d935b3127cce929d402afd9500000015108QZtmLRs0bU

notime
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Chuckster]Teflon,

"Same here, only I was on the White River in VT... it typically produces smallies like this, if you're targeting them..."

Chuckster,

What area of the White do you fish for smallies? Anything near the Stowe area or is it well south?

Chuckster
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I've been fishing the White for looooong time now, and I typically fish from Royalton (which is just north of WR Junction) all the way up to the Rochester/Hancock area. About 45 miles. The fish you see there was caught in Royalton. I typically pick them up while fishing the deeper pools for rainbow stockers.

I got one this year that was larger than the one in the photo above, about 18", but I caught it on a white 1/8th ounce Roostertail with a silver blade, ultralight rod with 4lb test. The thing was a rocket, they are so powerful.

Be advised there are regulations in VT about keeping smallies during certain times of the year. I release everything, so it wasn't an issue for me... check the regs before you go. Also, keeping an Atlantic Salmon on that river will set you back $500!

notime
07-14-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't keep bass, so no worries. They don't look very tasty anway, especially largemouth. Am I wrong?

NatickDave
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
You are wrong...largemouth bass are very tasty, with very delicate meat that stands up well to a frying pan. Only hassle is doing the filet work, which, of course, you don't need to do with a trout.

Also, bluegill are very good to eat. My uncle likes to call them "poor man's shrimp cocktail," as the meat you end up with is pretty small but delicious.

Drooling on the keyboard now,

NatickDave

tjf02
07-15-2005, 09:38 AM
I eat it once a year (or so) when I go camping on Lake George NY. It is a great fish to lighlty batter and pan fry. It is a sweet tasting fish. I have yet to eat one out of wachusett more because of circumstance than anything else. There is a mercury level problem, but it says you should restrict the amount/frequency than not eat it at all (unless you are pregnant). Might have to keep one this weekend and see how they are.

edsly42
07-15-2005, 11:06 AM
a handfull of times i have been fileting bass and come across some kind of yellow parasite in their flesh. once it was smallmouth bass in long lake in maine and once largemouth in maryland actually. havent eaten bass in a long time and this kind of turned me off to it. has anyone else had similar experience?

edsly42
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
great looking laker and smallies by the way.

NatickDave
07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I have seen that same parasite in bass and sunfish...they were up in the Adirondacks, for what that is worth. I don't know what it the organism is, but it sure kept me from continuing the filet work. Not all fish have that problem, so keep at it and try another one.

haguebrook
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
There is just something about eating freshwater fish that turns me off. I have been told that I am an accomplished cook, but I have tried trout and smallmoth bass in the past few years with lousy results.

Freshwater is strictly C & R for me, with an occasional striper and all of the fluke I can get (within legal limits) for the table.

teflon_jones
07-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Teflon,

Same here, only I was on the White River in VT... it typically produces smallies like this, if you're targeting them...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d935b3127cce929d402afd9500000015108QZtmLRs0bU
That's a nice fish! :)

I was fishing with a small black bead head woolly bugger with a bunch of flash in it for the first few days, then I switched to a big ugly all yellow bucktail/hackle feather streamer I tied this winter. I caught about 20-25 in the 4 days I fished. All of them were caught in backwater or slow water in the river, except for one. I was trying for some landlocked salmon when I caught the last one. It was sitting in the middle of the river in some pretty big current so when it hit the fly I thought it was a big salmon. A 17"+ smallmouth in swift current on a 4 wt is a handful. :)

Best story of the trip:
My buddy is fishing with a yellow/red bucktail streamer and hooks into a big smallmouth. After a short fight, the fish breaks off. A little while later, I hear him yell and he tells me he can see the fish swimming near him with the fly still stuck in its jaw! Two casts later, he's hooked the thing again! This time the line holds and he lands the fish, which was another monster, about 18"+. I guess it was just really hungry... :-%

e-sea-e
07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
I've been fishing the White for looooong time now, and I typically fish from Royalton (which is just north of WR Junction) all the way up to the Rochester/Hancock area. About 45 miles. The fish you see there was caught in Royalton. I typically pick them up while fishing the deeper pools for rainbow stockers.

I got one this year that was larger than the one in the photo above, about 18", but I caught it on a white 1/8th ounce Roostertail with a silver blade, ultralight rod with 4lb test. The thing was a rocket, they are so powerful.

Be advised there are regulations in VT about keeping smallies during certain times of the year. I release everything, so it wasn't an issue for me... check the regs before you go. Also, keeping an Atlantic Salmon on that river will set you back $500!

chuckster: I went to law school in soro and fished the white quite a bit. like you, I would target the deeper pools and do quite well. I also hooked a monster 5 pound smallie at sinclair rocks, just north of the law school, in that pool with a 4 lb outfit. unreal. man i miss that place.

also took a 23 inch rainbow out of there, my best trout ever.

and there are some salmon in there, you have to be careful. A friend of mine kept what he thought was nice 4 pound trout, untill he got home and found the red meat inside. :eek:

ever try the pools that are connected the connectucut river down near dartmouth? I forget what route they are on but there are several, they are like backwaters from the river. awesome largemouth and pike fishing!

Chuckster
07-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Wow, 5lber, eh? Nice fish!

I also caught my best trout ever on the White, a 19-1/2" rainbow under that HUGE overpass near Exit 2 in Sharon. One of my fondest fishing memories because I got skunked all weekend while my buddies hooked up constantly. I was on the brink of snapping my rod and driving home when I picked up 3 fish on 3 casts, and the big one was last...

Fishing near the Law School is a great spot, but when it gets hot out there's too much activity on the river to fish, so then it's best to just hang out and watch the bikini-and-inner-tube crew splashing about... :brow

I've never fished south of Exit 2, but I have fished all the way from Sharon/Tunbridge up to Texas Falls, which is a long way. In the past few years the only real activity I've found is in the regularly stocked spots, i.e., every bridge that crosses the river.

BTW... the deeply forked tail is the easiest way to spot a salmon, but I understand that enthusiasm could have clouded his judgment!