PDA

View Full Version : 8-28: Barrington and E. Prov

bdowning
08-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Checked these areas yesterday evening. A few pods of birds working over busting blues, but nothing consistently within surfcasting range yet and schools very scattered. You could easily access them with a yak or small boat within minutes. However, the few boats I saw working them weren't catching anything. I think it's a little early for the annual upper bay shore blitz, if it happens this year. Will recheck it in a week. Never too early for boats though.

-bd

SageBoy
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Checked out Conimicut Point Friday night during the low. They were there but just out of reach. No major blitzes. Just a few here and there.

Ray
08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Though I haven't fished those blitzs yet, I hear they're smaller fish, 5 - 6#. I figure a few more weeks will bring the bigger fish!!!

DuffyB
08-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Took a tour of the upper bay just for a few minutes on Sat to see if the annual bluefish mayhem had started yet. There were a few pods busting here and there. When I positioned on them, I saw that they were very small, about 14" to 16" --124-3 .

I saw a TON of birds on the west side of prudence and few busting fish. Not sure of size as I didn't get close enough. It was very rough when I was over there.

Friday there were a few large blues in the lower bay, managed one about 7 lbs.

DuffyB

JimK
08-29-2005, 12:19 PM
I was on land and checked out the barrington area both on Saturday and Sunday. On saturday I was with my 3 yr old so I couldn't fish too much. I did hook a decent blue that got off. Didn't see to much going on.
Saturday I was solo. There was a good amount of fish breaking in the late afternoon but they were way out of casting range. Just before it got dark the fish moved in and they were blitzing close enough to reach. But I was in the wrong spot. I moved down a bit and picked up a nice fat blue must have been around 8 lbs. Couple of other guys catching too. The fishing didn't last long and the blues were moving from spot to spot pretty quick. Should get better from day to day.

Ray
08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
There was a good amount of fish breaking in the late afternoon but they were way out of casting range

Sounds like it's time to splash the kayak :)

bdowning
08-29-2005, 01:44 PM
You must have been down towards the right a bit on Sunday (yesterday) evening. I was at the left end near the swimming area floats watching a school work closer, but it didn't work close enough. As I recall, things really busted open by Labor Day last year with the blues nearly beaching themselves in pursuit of peanuts, so I think it should only improve.

-bd

I moved down a bit and picked up a nice fat blue must have been around 8 lbs. Couple of other guys catching too. The fishing didn't last long and the blues were moving from spot to spot pretty quick. Should get better from day to day.

Perk
08-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Fished the upper bay on Saturday by boat. Once pods of breaking blues were located, the fishing was great. "Fishing" was more like "hunting" most of the day. I did observe peanut bunker everywhere. Blues were in the 6-8 pound range.

JimK
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Bill,
I was way, way , way to the right of you. I was a little north of the lighthouse.