PDA

View Full Version : SBFT in RI

jrudzinsky
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Any reports of bluefin off So. County/Newport?

Do I actually bite the bullet and head up to MA instead?

regulator 26
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
We fished that general area last Sat. with poor results. We found pretty good water; nice color & 74-75 degrees. Found the bait, with nothing pushing it; we found whales, flying fish and a few sharks. Charlie was no where to be found. Our next trip will be to CCB untill I hear of something going on to the south. The gas is to expensive for boatrides. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that NOBODY is talking about even a general area. "secret spot #1, 2 & 3 doesn't help anyone. A couple of weeks ago there were apparently fish a couple of miles out from Westport MA to the CT border, and nobody posted anything of substance till it was over. I thought the idea of this site was to help each other.

Quicksilver
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I was talking to a friend about the same thing. I guess we get spoiled from the easy access to shared info about the Cape. When it comes to RI it is a completely different matter. Not sure, but I think a lot of the posts regarding RI come from folks who don't live in the state. Worm hatch? What worm hatch?

DuffyB
08-30-2005, 03:45 PM
They haven't been around for almost two weeks now, sure was fun while it lasted. Agree with sentiment about sharing of (general) information.

DuffyB

bassdad
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
My bad on dropping the ball on Eastern RI posts. I was on vacation and left the comp at home. Plus, I was too gorged with fresh tuna to stay awake long enough after dinner to log on. For the record, during my two weeks off (until the 20th), there were schools of BFT from Newport nets to Westport River inside 100 fathom line all the way in to 20 ft (caught one 25 yards from Sheep's Pen rock off Second Beach in 22 ft of water). Also saw some Spanish macs mixed in out further. Final tally was 10 two year old BFTs (30 -33"), all on hydros, marias and deadly dicks behind 4 ft of fluoro. Two fly hookups on blue mushies, but it was too hard to turn them on a 10 wt without a driver at the helm. Right now, the only hardtails are some bones mixed in with bluefish hanging around in the afternoons at Taylors and Old Bull. Hopeful that this weather will bring the albies in time for the weekend early morning floods. BFT will also likely stop back in late Sept. through Oct., as in years past. Hopefully the crazy big schools of atlantic herring (that's what keeps flopping in the Sakonnet River like macs) will stick around and draw in the bigger tunas and bass on their way south. No skippies yet, though they may visit with all the peanuts around. Great bait year.

JoeyM
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
well, i'm from RI, and have recently just found this site.

i got no problems telling you guys where i found fish.

too bad, i rarely find them! ;)

was out last sat, trying to find all these bonito people were talking about. never saw a single tunoid off of newport. ended up bottom fishing a little bit. only caught a couple of sea bass while trying to fight off the choggies. this was at Seal Ledge. ended up heading back into the bay. found lots of blues from barrington to conimicut.

anybody know good sea bass spots off of jamestown or newport?

north coast
08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
unfortunately, you just can't give specific info online anymore.Just too many folks lurking.unless you want 20-50 unexperienced UN-well behaved yahoo's running the fish over.racing you to the fish every time they see you going faster than 6-kts.:mad: I've been there.Takes the enjoyment right out of it.I've been doing this a looong time, never seen anything like what's been happening this year.I have to at least partially blame the internet.

ruge13
08-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that NOBODY is talking about even a general area. "secret spot #1, 2 & 3 doesn't help anyone. A couple of weeks ago there were apparently fish a couple of miles out from Westport MA to the CT border, and nobody posted anything of substance till it was over. I thought the idea of this site was to help each other.

I think you might have answered your own question. Rhody is a "general area" when compared to other locations. Its tiny compared to other bodies of water people fish for tuna. I don't think there was a lack of info, there were plenty of people agreeing on each Rhody thread and mentioning the fishing. If you had a rigging or technique question it was quickly answered by most about that fishery. There was no need to give location spacific info because most who went down there quickly found out you didn't need it. As you said, they were everywhere from Westport to CT and they stayed in that area, all over that area, for a few weeks.

Having said that, I do agree with the internet opinion. That whole shore line is a SMALL area. Only a few miles long. You could sit half way, around Newpy, with binocs and see from Westport to PJ on a clear day to see where the fleet was. If you have radar you could cover that whole area with a 4k dome and 3-5 minutes of running. Its a bit different than the MA fishery which can be several hundred miles of looking and fish are here one day and gone the next. Now you take all the RI boats, plus all the MA boats (and other states that ran down there) myself included, and jam them in that small area and it gets pretty miserable.

I am not necesarily defending the quiet reporting, I am saying that Rhody is a different Scale than MA. Its smaller water, and just as many boats.

Reef Runner
08-31-2005, 06:21 AM
I agree with all the above answers. I fish out of Watch Hill and pretty regularly do the Race to Gardiners to Montauk to Block & breachways route. The fish did make appearences through out the area but it wasn't reliable except for maybe between Charlestown, Block & PJ for a few weeks. However having said that, the most reliable I saw was the PJ to Newpt and east area at the mouth of the bay, with the only other exception being SE of Montauk. Hope they come back.

striperblues
08-31-2005, 07:27 AM
I got into the SBFT off RI fairly early on. Once I posted on it here (without specifics) I got 5 or 6 private messages. I let every person who PMd me know exactly where I was catching them. Why not. Most fisherman are pretty good people and have a limited time to go out and get shots at these kinds of fish....help them out. I am limited in where I fish due the boat being in a marina, so I fish the same expanse (Upper Narragansett to Sakonnett / Weekapaug) from May to October so UDLs mean nothing to me, but to others I am sure it is frustrating.

I had no issue with continuing to catch them and in fact I made some new fly fishing buddies as a result and was able to call around on the water to narrow the search especially during the foggy mornings. This whole issue of UDLs (in my opinion) is bogus. I believe this site is in part about helping out vs. some of the cliqueeee B.S. that goes on. I am not suggesting posting exact coordinates on the post, but if someone takes the time to PM you, I'd say it would be a bush league move not to help them out.

ruge13
08-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Over time you get a feel for where people fish. The sames guys are here year in and year out. So you can get a feel for how the y post and where their repsective UDL's are. Its more sarcasm because they are more or less well known spots anyway. No one is hiding anything, but no one is going to give it away either.

SamRiley
08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
A couple of weeks ago there were apparently fish a couple of miles out from Westport MA to the CT border, and nobody posted anything of substance till it was over.

Guilty as charged but that's fine with me. As Shaun said, it was a pretty concentrated fishery. There were enough boaters out there as it was, especially idiots in Bayliners, running down fish. Towards the end, it got to the point where the weekends were not even worth the effort. Reel-Time has a huge readership but the vast majority are lurkers who do not contribute. I'm not going to draw a map for someone who will not share in return. The info was there for those who wanted to put one and one together. Right or wrong, I am getting to the point where I feel no need to post location specifics :(

bassdad
08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Me, my two sons and my father-in-law are on the water almost every Saturday and Sunday morning from May through October in our 22 ft. Mako. In my experience, there are only 40 or so hardcore non-commercial fishing boats from Westport to Sachuest, north to Foglands, south to 100 fathoms, who on any given w/e target hardtails. Maybe 10 or so kayakers. (I think I saw the mythical Shaun at Lloyd's beach on Sun.) That works out to about 20 bft's and 10 bones at most taken a weekend -- about what are taken in the nets in one day.

Sure, there are a few run and guns who cant pass up flying into a school while towing an innertube (really, that was a bit much) or who, with six of their friends go out 5 miles in their 16 ft. aluminum boat, but there were days in early Aug. that I was the only non-charter FF in the schools. Even then, in deference to those earning a livelihood doing this, I just let them take the upwind slots and they left me alone below. By September 15 or so there are maybe 10 boats actively looking, and almost none in October. Most boats in our triangle are bottom fishing or trying to drag up bass at Elbow Ledge or Sakonnet Point and probably aren't visiting this site anyway. I just don't see any real harm in letting people know where the hardtails or bass are, what they are feeding on, what flies they are taking, etc, and I am one of those who would suffer the most if it was a problem.

I will note that, because I don't log on during the weekends, I have been tightlipped on this site, though I report by phone all the time to Saltwater Edge, Riverside and the 5 or so FF'ers in my harbor. I do have my blackberry on weekends and would be happy to communicate by e-mail. Maybe after this weekend, we can all talk a little more, especially with gas at $3.50 a gallon (and going up from there) and the number of boats in the water dropping precipitously. Just my thoughts.

LandlockedinMI
08-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Bassdad:

Will be in Ri Sept 19-22 and second week Oct. PM your blackberry address is you'd care to exchange intel.