PDA

View Full Version : Flies for Grand Bahama

widdoes
09-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm tying for my trip to Freeport in October and I'm looking for any "silver bullets" that anyone might share. The only tip I've heard so far is "orange". I'm tying some gotchas and charlies with an orange calf tail wing (sparse!). Anybody else think they've got the answers? Love to hear what you like and why.
-WJ

dereks
09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Try a spawning shrimp. It is tied similarly to a simram but on a longer hook with long 2+inch rubber legs off the front, same tan bunny on the back wrapped pearl braid on hook, heavy eyes and burnt mono eyes sticking back with the rubber leggs. pattern is almost 3 inches long all said and done. the orange is a tuft of globug yarn tied in at the base of hook bend after attaching legs. deadly for years on GB -Nat

mbrown
09-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I have had success w/"gotcha" style patterns in orange-not bright,but more of a burnt orange with orange dyed grizzly over wing.Borski sliders in brown and tan,mantis shrimp dark brown,clouser's in brown and white.All of these in size 2-1/0.Sam (or one of his sons) ties a nice slider with a barred wing-root around in his fly box! SUPER SECRET BAIT-make Sam a crunchy peanut butter sandwich in the morning-as much p b as you can get on the bread.this might just get you a BIG bonefish,Mick

uncle4
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
I carry (in order of use):

gotcha (4,6)
pink/tan puffs (4,6)
charlies (4,6,8)
bitters (4)
merkins (2,4)

I've used a _ton_ of flies.... Peterson's standing shrimp,
Agent Orange, Windram's sparkle shrimp, etc. A lot of
the time (most of the time) most of the flies work. I like
my list because I can tie 'em myself, quickly, easily and
cheaply.... they really do 80% of my bonefish damage.

Remember.... post pix

Uncle 4

widdoes
09-12-2005, 09:50 AM
I just got an e-mail back from "Bonefish" Sam Taylor (our guide) who said that "dark" flies (tan, brown and green) were preffered in sizes 2, 4 and a few 6. I started tying this weekend and came up with a cool looking "charlie-ish" fly with an orange (calftail) tail (w/ some flash), a tan/brown body and a tan calftail wing w/ a little orange worked in.
I'll post pics in my report (3 weeks and counting, just keep those storms away).
-WJ

Ray
09-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Kwan's (sp) and Charlie's in tan and pink worked well. Have a light, a bright, and a pink/pearl pattern of each fly you tie. It's good to have a variety of colors for various types of flats. Size 4 - 6.

I found pink worked well for me in grassy flats. Helped the pattern stand out a bit.