PDA

View Full Version : North Shore 10/1 AM: Call Me Austin Powers/The Last Dance of the Cat

Soundking
10-01-2005, 05:12 PM
After nearly three weeks off the water, I was tearing my hair out to get out there. It drives me nuts not to put up numbers in a bite like this. I lost my mojo, I no longer had dreams of crashing tuna, I was too focused on ladies and school. I needed to recover my mojo and get it done. So like Austin in the second movie, I was in search of my mojo this morning with my Dad.

I got the call two nights ago that the cat was getting hauled this week. It took all the man in me not to cry my eyes out at this news. I simply responded: "Dad, before you do this sacrilige, please let me get you a tuna". He allowed it. Left Beverly this morning at 0600 and headed south-southeast. After an hour long run we pulled up on the first school of the morning. A handfull of fish feeding lazily, popper fish. One throw with the popper and I was tight, and four minutes later torpedoed a little 25 pounder back into the ocean. Dad was now salivating...I smirked and pulled the 12 from under the gunwale. I rigged it up with a modified Moody Bunny in a peanut bunker flavor and drove around looking for a big feed. Found one soonthereafter and threw the boat into neutral about 75 yards away...as we got into range, I turned the wheel so that we were now dead in the water, perpendicular to the fish only 70 feet away with the school coming at us. Ideal fly shot. Dad made a great cast, and put it in front of the school. Five strips into the retrieve he came tight on a fish. After some coaching and jubilaint yells from his son, he landed his first Bluefin. I was so stoked for the guy. Only about 30 pounds, but to see your old man so stoked....amazing. He's a fly purist, so getting him that fish meant so much more than any other fish I had seen caught on my boat...just sneaking past Mike's First tuna. After that we ran back into port and enjoyed a nice breakfast and talk. Great day, and a great day to end the season on the cat. Shorebound from now on, but you can bet I'll do my best to slay em.

Yeah Baby, Yeah.....

JJ

Jim Miller
10-01-2005, 05:19 PM
GOOD FOR YOU JJ --127-3-
and GOOD FOR YOUR DAD! :)

dlangan
10-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah, what Jim said! :)

--username-deleted--
10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
JJ, as I see it you can look at it in one of two ways: you just bought yourself whole bunch more time on the cat next season, or a whole lot less. ;)

Years from now, I imagine you'll *both* rememeber this day and smile. Nice on the fish, and even better sharing it with your old man. Good on ya, kid.

Slappy
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Shorebound. Shorebound.

Bring waders to Waltham!

SherpaT
10-01-2005, 08:01 PM
fantastic. My Dad introduced me to the fly about 25 years ago, but he's in no shape to get out on the rivers anymore. Still likes hearing about it, and thinks I'm nuts chasing tuna around.

I was on a corporate outing at one of the Haba islands yesterday and saw a ton of striper feeds on the way there... sounds like you were pretty much down in CCB, though, huh? A little too far for me to run... hence my wishful trip to the Boatshow today.
(BTW, stripers feeding on thick bait under the surface at the WTC docks. Cool.)

Soundking
10-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Shorebound. Shorebound.

Bring waders to Waltham!

That's a big 10-4 slappy dappy doo...About to go hit 127 and in waltham right now fully dressed in the waders....I'll PM you later today to make plans.

anut
10-02-2005, 06:15 PM
That must feel great.

G-Man
10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
That's just flat out cool ... doing that with your Dad.
What a shaggin good time that musta been.