PDA

View Full Version : If I fished the Canal I'd be heading down there SOON!

riptide
10-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Just a tidbit for the ditch crowd. The TONS of fish I had off Race Point 2 days ago showed up early this morning at an UDL en mass. It took 2 days to get from RP to the UDL, so you canal guys do the math (I know thats not your strong point --125-3 ) but I'd guess tonight or tomorrow the ditch should explode!

5-6" Tinkers and ultra small juvi bluebacks are on the menu.

Hope this helps.

Cliffisher
10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Assuming the UDL is an undisclosed location, Would it be prudent to launch at the West end and head them off at Buzzards Bay - ? Wouldn't that be muddier than an puddle? Damn, I want to fish tomorrow but there is always so much else to do!!!!

riptide
10-09-2005, 06:51 PM
To help everyone out UDL is Scorton's Creek. Thats only a few miles from the ditch. My guess is B Bay will light up in a few more days, but the ditch should happen ASAP.

seatrout
10-09-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree with the thought. Fished the next creek west this morning and found fish up inside early. Caught several smaller bass and a 34" fish. They left on the dropping tide and little came in on the rise. The same is going on on the south side. Fish seem to be moving ... though there are more to come from the north. I think the dropping water temps over the next week will get them moving. I'll probably be fishing RI in two weeks.

BobG
10-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Terry,

Shhhh on that! I haven't been hanging around waiting @ the East end every day @ 4am for nuthin'! --123-3
n-n/e for the next five straight days is a safe bet something big's going to happen. :brow
By the way, they're not there yet b/c I just returned from there. ;)

ducatiboy
10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the tip, --127-3- We found a few there last wed in the fog, Sounds like waaaay more fun for tomorrow :brow

riptide
10-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Saw fish working off Horizons at lunch,

Thats funny I was fishing there today fishing from shore with friends and it was completely dead after the 1030 tide change. The fish must seek you out. :confused:

scottne
10-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Terry and you must be invisible. :-% I was there not long after kickoff and I saw absolutely nobody on the beach fishing. There were two guys on the end of the jetty though doing okay.

Bigcat
10-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Three hours this morning on the east end, weed on every cast moved around a bit same results.
Schoolies around west end locations.

riptide
10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Terry and you must be invisible. :-% I was there not long after kickoff and I saw absolutely nobody on the beach fishing. There were two guys on the end of the jetty though doing okay.

I was just east of there (short walk) with a buddy flyfising in the wind. Got back to the house at 1/2 time. So we were there when you were. No one else around us, no signs of fish and we got munged so bad I don't see how anyone could have hooked up. :confused:

BobG
10-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Three hours this morning on the east end, weed on every cast moved around a bit same results.
Schoolies around west end locations.

Huh? :confused: Are we talking about the same canal? :confused:

Bigcat
10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Bob I was parked next to you ,did I leave to early?

ButchS
10-10-2005, 08:44 AM
how did you do this morning any signs of life in the ditch thank butch s

BobG
10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Bob I was parked next to you ,did I leave to early?

I think you didn't go far enough to the west. :brow

bb1
10-10-2005, 02:02 PM
This has been happening year after year...stripers from the Plymouth & Scorton areas schoolng up just outside of the east end of the canal, just out of reach for most shore anglers. But in the past few years, it seems they can stay in that mode...for weeks!

Let's hope there is a real push through this year...

Bob Parsons
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
After easing my way through some steep standing waves at the mouth of Barnstable Harbor I head west looking for the fish that had been in the area yesterday. Though I was going to make it all the way to the canal but found birds over fish about 1/2 m east of Scortons. Looked like some of the fish was in the surf at the beach and I could see two people fishing from the beach a bit further west of the school I was working. A 2" juvie herring I tied up this morning was working great until I lost a good fish due to a wind knot, Fished the school for a couple hours fly and spin finishing with a decent sized bluefish. Headed back to BH very pleased with the how the morning turned out.

Bob Parsons
10-10-2005, 02:34 PM
10am-12:30pm I'm guessing at the distance since I did not check my gps, it could have been farther. But I was definitely well past the sandy neck parking lot.

bb1
10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
On another 'canal' thread there reporting 44 -48" fish on plugs from shore around the east end...right now!

How long can THAT last...lol.

Paul Cheever
10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Old harbor east along east Sandwiches beaches early AM. today ,lots of quality fish in the 4-6 ft breakers,fish you measure in pounds not inches, 1 hour before sun rise for about 2 hours ,ye haaaaaa!

scottne
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Paul I was wondering where you have been :)

Thanks for the report.

sage fly guy
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Old harbor east along east Sandwiches beaches early AM. today ,lots of quality fish in the 4-6 ft breakers,fish you measure in pounds not inches, 1 hour before sun rise for about 2 hours ,ye haaaaaa!

When you see Paul posting, it'd be slob time.

Afternoon 40"er's on the fly. :cool:

chris