PDA

View Full Version : Permit Flies in Belize?

SpexnReds
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I am headed down to El Pescador in Ambergris to do some tarpon fishing in early June. I also want to get my first permit, and I was wondering what flies are effective in that area. I have heard that crab flies like the McCrab are pretty ineffective, and the best type to use is the Raghead crab. What I have heard is most effective, though, are clouser minnows. If anyone else has any input, please, let me know.

widdoes
11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
One attribute that I think most store bought flies come up "short" on is the length of the silli legs. Most flies are tied with legs that look like a "dead" crab. But, if you've ever seen one of those buggers swimming, it looks like "Legs Akimbo" (little known USC punt-returner in the early 70's). I've had luck with something called a Becks crab (patented by Barry and Cathy Beck) which has some looooong silli legs. The best thing is that they really flutter as the crab sinks, which I think is the key. If you're tying yourself, I think any rag or carpet fiber crab will work (go light tan- almost white in color), but go looooong with the legs.
My $.02
Next!
-WJ

ANeary
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Just returned yesterday and from what I heard most people seem to use the same flies for permit as they do for Bones, crazy charlies and gotchas. I saw one decent school of permit 15lb's and the guide put on a merkins type fly but one that had a little more weight than the ones I had with me. At el pescador they send you out with a box of flies that you can use and pay for when you return. Most of the time I fished for Tarpon I used a black death fly. Speaking with one of the seasoned Tarpon Anglers there, he recommended that I use Circle hooks next time I came down for Tarpon. FYI .