PDA

View Full Version : River Herring Regs passed

outnumbered
11-14-2005, 02:43 PM
MarineFisheries Advisory
MASSACHUSETTS MARINE FISHERIES ADVISORY COMMISSION
APPROVES NEW REGULATIONS
December Cod Conservation Zone & Moratorium on River Herring Fishery
At a November 9, 2005 business meeting, the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) approved several Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) proposals including a two-year seasonal cod prohibition in a portion of Massachusetts Bay and a three-year moratorium on the harvest, possession, and sale of river herring. Other approved actions impact rules governing dealer reporting, fish pot escape vent sizes, Outer Cape Cod lobster trap haul-out period, ban on the use of floating groundline, winter-period commercial summer flounder (fluke) trip limits, procedures to amend commercial scup trip limits, tautog possession limits, billfish regulations, and procedures to close shellfish areas due to biotoxins.

2) Three-Year River Herring Moratorium on Harvest, Possession, & Sale (322 CMR 6.17):
In response to recent drastic declines of many river herring spawning runs, the harvest, possession or sale of river herring in the Commonwealth or in the waters under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth by any person is prohibited through 2008. To accommodate the bait harvesting fisheries, the MFAC approved a slight tolerance (up to 5%, by count, of a batch of fish may be comprised of river herring species).

--127-3- --127-3- --127-3-

bdowning
11-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Well that should quell a lot of hot stove talk this winter (either that or stoke it!). Congrats to the state for having the cojones to pass what will no doubt be a very unpopular ruling. The other task of course will be enforcement, and we'll just have to see how it plays out in the spring.

Now if we could only solve the mid-water herring trawl problem :mad: .

-bd

schwilp
11-14-2005, 04:43 PM
I agree with BD 100% - a great first step - hopefully the Fisheries Council will approve the proposed limits on pair trawlers....

TonyO
11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
About time, hopefully some runs can be salvaged.

TimSt
11-14-2005, 05:48 PM
It'll be interesting to see if RI follows suit; with the MA and CT closings, I would imagine we'll be seeing a few more out-of-state plates at our runs this year if they're not closed. As always, enforcement will be the issue; some serious fines need to be levied to serve as a credible deterrent.

ruge13
11-14-2005, 06:38 PM
As always, enforcement will be the issue; some serious fines need to be levied to serve as a credible deterrent.

Question, is the burden of proof on all law enforcement or is this just an environmental police thing? Shows you how often I get arrested:rolleyes: I remember burden of proof being on officers for fisheries violations in MA at least so it was very hard for them to prosecute. This issue was raised at a couple DMF meetings by officers addressing the subject. Their concern was that this made the laws very inefficient.

They gave examples of known poaching activity but inability to make arrests because they were not there actually witnessing the activity even thought the sources were credible and willing to provide photographic evidence.

mermaid
11-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, I see enforcement as a relatively easy matter at the moment.
The simple possession of anadromous (river) herring in Ma is against the law. Can't have them. No how, no way. Not for bass , lobster bait, or personal consumption.
Their point of origin doesn't matter any more b/c in Ma simple possession puts you in violation.
So, you see a guy livelining herring on the canal, pick up your cell phone, and make a call. --126-3-

Now, I guess we can expect to see a host of live wells, herring baskets and long handled nets at yard sales this spring. --125-3
On a more serious note, the DMF along with all the coastal towns which have herring runs will need to get in their local newspapers, and by simply posting the runs just how serious this is. I'm almost certain violators won't be getting arrested for breaking herring regs, but I'll bet there will be substantial fines.

-----------
bobG

Buzz
11-14-2005, 08:32 PM
So what do you do with frozen herring left over from this year????????? :confused:

jettyjockey
11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
guess i wont have to send my self addressed stamped envelope to middleboro next year... --124-3

Onshore
11-14-2005, 08:47 PM
So what do you do with frozen herring left over from this year????????? :confused:

Unless you can prove they were taken before the closure; you'd best dump em, IMHO.

Capt.Sickdog
11-15-2005, 08:10 AM
attached is all regs that were passed at that meeting.

If you have flats of frozen herring I don't know why you would throw it out, that is not river herring.

Onshore
11-15-2005, 08:19 AM

If you have flats of frozen herring I don't know why you would throw it out, that is not river herring.

Some of us who live near viable Herring runs still have some frozen from netting this past Spring. I know I did.

bdowning
11-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Flats are one thing. I think he was referring to frozen river herring left over from last season. I'll look at the new regs again, but it doesn't appear that you can possess live or dead (frozen) river herring.

-bd

Capt.Sickdog
11-15-2005, 08:22 AM
oh ya, forgot about netted river herring. I was gonna say
I am not dumping my freezer.

Buzz
11-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Anyone got a good frozen herring recipe? :-% Wonder if it will draw some sea ducks into range.

Onshore
11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Anyone got a good frozen herring recipe? :-% Wonder if it will draw some sea ducks into range.

Hey, just cook em with the Coots and a brick. Throw away the fish and birds and eat the brick.

Onshore
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Now, if the NE Fishery Management Council can just agree to rein in the pair-trawlers - Hearing tomorrow in Hyannis - we may get somewhere.

CMP
11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
All the state is doing is piszing on a forest fire. Sure, let's get rid of the guys with dipnets and 5 gallon buckets, but do nothing to help fishermen who want pair trawling cut back. Brillian strategy. The state dmf needs to stand with those of us who see the problem in pair trawling if for no other reason than to lend its considerable weight in the fight. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess, after all, this is state gubmint at "work"...

CMP

Albiemanmike
11-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Now it will really be interesting to see what the ASFMC does with the EEL hearings this winter. If they decide to close the eel fishery and make it illegal to possess American Eels than there are going to be alot of unhappy fishermen. But this is something long overdue and I hope not too late. The elver fishery has devastated the eel fishery and they are in deep trouble. What will the comm. guy's do if the eels are no longer available??? This is their main bait during the comm. season in MA. isn't it? I guess they will have to go back to old fashioned fishing and catch them with artificials or chunk bait.

Onshore
11-18-2005, 08:08 AM
The decision on American Eels may be out of ASMFC's hands. The US Fish & Wildlife Service is considering "listing" the species as threatened or endangered. If that happens, they will be illegall to take anywhere on the coast.

Fin Addiction
11-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't eel fish.....*well not much*:brow but the eels that we see on Cape Cod throughout the summer in the bait shops are they farmed or wild?....If a species is endangered can it still be farmed and sold?

Bob Parsons
11-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Based on the life cycle of the american eel, they can not be farmed. Sure you can catch little ones and raise them until they reach market size but you can not breed eels.

It is like the "farm" tuna.

mermaid
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Bait and meat eels are all wild. I tried my hand at comm eeling while in college. (#$119) VERY seasonal market. Since most of the meat eels went to the European market, and eels are a traditional holiday food in certain contires, the price would spike around the time of the holidays. So, to get the best price, you'd need to car up the eels and wait for the holidays. During the spring when the eels were fairly easy to pot, the price sort of languished around $.75-&1.00 per pound. :rolleyes:

When I was doing a lot of comm bass fishing, we used to purchase our bait eels directly from the bait broker in Maine. We'd buy 100 pounds at a time
Those eels were caught n the rivers and estuaries in Maine (or so the bait guy told us).
But, given our insatiable desire for any sort of live bait, it appears as though "slinging eels" may soon the going the way f the passenger pigeon.

----------
bobG

JSeamans
11-18-2005, 01:04 PM
So these herring regs apply statewide so I'm assuming the Watertown run will be closed?

Onshore
11-18-2005, 03:21 PM
So these herring regs apply statewide so I'm assuming the Watertown run will be closed?

All state runs are now closed for the next three seasons and it is even illegal to possess or transport River Hering/Alewife in Massachusetts - even if taken from another state.

JSeamans
11-19-2005, 04:37 PM
All state runs are now closed for the next three seasons and it is even illegal to possess or transport River Hering/Alewife in Massachusetts - even if taken from another state.

Just my luck. I only started netting there about three years ago and every year I've bagged some huge stripers in the Charles with my catch.

bdowning
11-19-2005, 04:58 PM
No doubt there will be plenty of citations issued there next spring, among many other places ;) since Watertown always seems to be crawling with EPOs during the herring run. But I will be very interested to see how many people ignore the new law next May at the Canal, intentionally or not.

-bd
Just my luck. I only started netting there about three years ago and every year I've bagged some huge stripers in the Charles with my catch.

BobG
11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
No doubt there will be plenty of citations issued there next spring, among many other places since Watertown always seems to be crawling with EPOs during the herring run. But I will be very interested to see how many people ignore the new law next May at the Canal, intentionally or not.

I suppose we'll know the answer to that when the phone calls come rolling into the town halls of Wareham, Middleboro and Bourne looking to purchase 2006 herring permits. --125-3

bauerman
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
The penality should be very stiff or they will take what they want if they are inclined to do so. And being from RI I hope we do the same, it will only hurt for alittle while. Then it will be beter than ever.
As for those lucky enough to have frozen! Can you say Chum block, they willl have to taste to prove it was HERRING :)

e-sea-e
01-10-2006, 05:26 PM
the herring ban, and an eel ban, if it occurred, wont bother me a bit. I rarely chunk and hardly ever use eels, so I wouldnt miss it.

Now if they banned lvelining macs, pogies, pollocks or cunners, you will hear my cries a mile away. :brow