PDA

View Full Version : spey lessons

hardtail
12-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know where I could get spey casting lessons this winter in Mass.?

Onshore
12-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know where I could get spey casting lessons this winter in Mass.?

Check with a shop that sells spey rods. They usually have or know someone nearby who can do it.

ppatricelli
12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
No, BUT....If you are truly talking SPEY casting (as opposed to overhand casting with a 2 handed rod, often erroneously lumped under the term SPEY casting) then you need to realize that real spey casting requires a river or other source of fairly rapidly moving water. It CAN"T be practiced indoors even with a casting pond and it can't be practiced on a lawn.

So, you're practice is necessarily going to have to occur outdoors on unfrozen moving water and probably with some wading involved. That may be a tough order this time of year.

Good luck.

masssalt
12-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Hardtail, if you find someone in Mass, please post it here as I have been looking for an instructor for four years now.

I practice my spey casting all winter long on the Bass River in South Yarmouth. You won't get much instruction from me, but you are welcome to join me anytime. I can at least help you get started.

I am just back from three days fishing the Salmon for winter run steelhead. Saw minus 19 degrees farenheit on the way to meet the guide on Tuesday morning. Makes our Cape Cod temps seem downright balmy.

blueYak
12-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I never even found a shop that sold spey rods.

After mail ordering one and overhead casting for a few weeks, I started poking around the net looking for video clips. you will find some. If you buy a rio spey line, the booklet that comes with it has pictures and instruction for all the main casts.
I taught myself to spey cast trout fishing on medium sized rivers (with my 9 wt). It's not really that hard. Easier than overhead in some respects.
A few tips:
wear glasses
fast current helps.
a relatively short line (rio windcutter)
start with double spey (wind is with current) and circle spey (wind is against current)
Leave the single spey and underhand casts till you master the first 2.
start with a floating body and tip, leave the sink tips till later.

You will have a lot of fun learning to spey cast. As a beginner you will be able to do 60 ft casts easy. With ideal conditions and some skill 100' is doable.

You can always practice in the summer if you fish tidal flows for bass. The casts have a lot of practical use.
It is the most efficient cast if there is enough current.
Once you know what you are doing, You can change direction and cast to a moving fish (no current here) without a backcast.
I have also spey cast in the surf (mostly for practice) when a rip was always moving my line down the beach.

good luck & have fun
Jay

confluential
12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
When I was at the Golden Gate Casting Club in San Francisco last summer, several people were practicing with double-handed rods. No current at all. And I'll tell you something .... those kids can THROW.

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy
12-19-2005, 07:20 PM
great idea for winter practice to find good flowing water and share each others experience and talents. maybe Juro might be interested in cash casting clinic on moving water.....STEELIE WATER!

DSR is big water with Northwest feel without large crowds in winter. Trestle north can offer a nice drift. Muscrat hole not so bad either.

Had a dream trip to Terrace BC for 9 days of sweet steelhead dreams in september 2005. NO ONE CHUCKS OR DUCKS ON SKEENA TRIBS.
Drifting the tail of a pool with a double spey carressing the 14'1" 7w was quite memorable. Wish i stuck with it more but i was serious about trying to catch fish on my first trip to BC. I spent most of my time on water with the single handed ten foot 8w with 250 gr rio. But dry flying that flat water was unforgettable once the double spey first began to take shape. My buddie used his two hander all week and got quite proficient with double spey and circle cast/snap T. I agree these are best starter casts with 40-50 feet of head past the tip.

Im just a beginner with the two hander, but would love to attend some kind of clave for reel-timers and friends for JAN, FEB, MAR. I try to get up with a irregular motely crue one a month at least. Would be nice to add some structure to these otherwise awesome fishing trips on the Salmon as well as a few other ontario/erie tribs.
All men are equal before trout. That sucks for me because there is yet no grace to my two handed casting.

Paul Cheever
12-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Hardtail ,I've been spey casting for a couple of years now ,thou far from an expert I do have a pretty good grasp of most of the fundimental casts and techniques .I would be more than happy to spend a day casting into one of the many tidal creeks in our area after the holidays.Anyone else interested?

lowwall
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
After watching this spey casting video I have like 50 times. I would definitely be up for it. I am heading up to the SR DEC27-DEC29 and am limiting myself to my spey rod. I tried to learn in flat water this summer but it just isnít the same. I have even gone as far as lending my chuck and duck rig to a buddy so I will be forced to stick to the spey.

With this being said check the guy out at this site, he has no problem casting in the grass.

http://www.virtualflycasting.com/spey.htm

The internet is a great thing; I don't know how people got threw a work day without it!

hardtail
12-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Paul and Massalt, I would definitely be interested in meeting up to do a little spey casting to seaweed in one of the tidals or the Bass river. I have watched two dvd and am currently reading "Spey Casting" but when I get out on the ponds, I can't even rollcast the line out. I leave for Costa Rica on the 8th of Jan. for two weeks so anytime before or after that. Anyone else interested are welcome!

blueYak
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
When I was in Pulaski this fall, the water was so high that spey and fly spots were limited. The best spots i found for spey casting and fishing (no catching for me in these spots) were:
- a short walk downstream (north side) of the steel bridge in pineville.
- upstream (south side) of the compactor pool.
I won't be back east till april, so maybe i could join a schoolie season spey clave. I saw my first few people ever speycasting this fall. You can learn alot by watching someone else.
A grass-casting leader can be made by knotting 5 or 6 12" sections of tippet together and cutting the tag ends 2" long. It's supposed cause a little leader stick on the grass. Maybe it's good for demonstrations, but i am too embarassed to fish without water.

Jay

juro
12-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Great to see the Spey interest here in the northeast!

I lived in the Pacific Northwest for many years and got addicted enough to work to pass my FFF certification as a two-handed / spey instructor (THCI). I would be happy to work out either a group lesson or if there is interest in a salty spey clave we've been talking about that for years now.

We've also done regular spey claves on the Merrimac River (e.g. the Nor'easter Spey Clave) and one on the Newfound River in Bristol NH. I have taught classes on stillwater on the Cape, as long as there is water it's possible to get the fundamentals down. I presented and taught a class at the large clave on the DSR last fall and same on the Cattaraugus in October both of which are not too far.

Now it's true that Spey casting can be done without water but learning to cast without it will not lead to effective casting with it. The management of the surface tension on the meniscus of the water is a HUGE part of Spey casting that is significantly inconsistent with grass casting.

If there is interest in something on the Salmon River in say late March or April, count me in.

albacized
12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
With the confusion of spey casting and two handed casting, how difficult is it to learn a two handed cast? I'm not sure I want to jump the gun just yet. However, it looks like an interesting remedy to adding that extra distance as well as avoiding low lying obstructions (such as around the canal). In short, how effective of a tool is a two handed casting rod when it comes to fishing for bonito/false albacore?
One of my more favorite spots for albies is a place where actually a short roll cast is as effective as throwing a long line. However, I frequent other spots where a long cast would be a great asset and there are times where my favorite spot requires long casts as well. Up through now, I've stuck to spinning rods when the fish are running that far out and have only broke out the fly rod when they start running the shoreline/jetties that I fish.

masssalt
12-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Paul, I am game for that as well. Everyone who is interested in some off-season spey casting please e-mail me: jhorton@haydenreels.com

I will put together a mailing list and we will try to set it up for after Xmas.

I am just back from fishing the Salmon River December 12-14. Spey fishing seemed pretty impossible as the water is so cold the line just keeps icing up. I had a fantastic guide named Dave Barber who can also instruct in spey casting.

masssalt
12-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Juro, I think there is a decent run of Spring fish which peaks around the last two weeks of April. I have been planning to go back for this. The tricky bit in the Spring is keeping an eye on water flows, as snow melt can easily raise the water above fishable levels.

I think the idea of a spey get-together around this time is a fantastic idea!

juro
12-20-2005, 09:31 AM
With the confusion of spey casting and two handed casting, how difficult is it to learn a two handed cast?

Two-handed overhead casting is an adjustment period while Spey casting is akin to learning to cast again. Spey casting / fishing is worth every bit of effort if you are a salmon or steelhead angler but for coastal species overhead casting and a decent switch (dynamic roll) and some set-up moves are all you need in the quiver to take it to the next level.

There are situations that are best for single handers, good for both, better for two-handers, and best for Spey in the traditional sense and for me the key is to know which situations are which. What I think is limiting is that the vast majority see the single hander as the key to all of these situations. Also, it's easy to try to fit the square peg in the round hole so to speak.

Sounds like Jay is doing a round-up by email. If anyone is interested in a more formal class route, look me up directly or you can find me in the usual places.

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy
12-20-2005, 02:49 PM
i would be very interested in putting my single handed ego aside and taking some real feedback from a FFF casting instrctor/ reel timer. great opportunity in my mind. time now to take her off the rack and winterize her with some polish. find me anytime at TWJMD@comcast.net if need help with organization.

juro
12-21-2005, 07:36 AM
That volcanic sand pic w/ teddy bear foot prints really gets me goin'

Looking forward to hooking up for some Northeast Spey as the weather loosens up a little.

sped
12-21-2005, 08:29 AM
.....join the spey casting clave without a spey rod?? I'd love to give it a try.........Sped

fleshfly
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
TW- Sweet photos. What other pics you got? We need to trade....

MassSalt, I commend you for Spey Fishing on the Salmon in this cold weather. The guide you mention was he spey friendly?? That is awesome. I swing/streamer fish on other rivers for chrome, but on the Salmon I rarely make a cast without an embarassing amount of lead & harware. Anyone have anymore good insight to give me more confidence in more traditional approaches????.....

masssalt
12-23-2005, 05:30 AM
fleshfly, Dave is a spey friendly guide, but air temps were too cold for traditional fly lines when we were there. Even a thin running line was a half-inch thich with ice in no time!

To all who e-mailed me, please be patient, I am buried at work right now, but will put together replies during the holidays.

Judging by the volume of e-mail I received, there is a lot of pent-up demand for two-handed rod knowledge in the Northeast!

blueYak
01-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Here is one of the places where you can find some spey video clips. It's a japaneese website. I like the ones with the view showing the line shooting straight out away from the camera.

http://speypages.jp/SpeyAnglersShop-SpeyVideoClip.htm

I hope i didn't break any rules by posting this link.

Jay

herman
01-01-2006, 10:48 AM
sorry, but what is spey casting???

masssalt
01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
My apologies to everyone who e-mailed for not replying sooner.

I have plenty of spey rods to go around, but can probably only come up with three or four rigged with reels and proper lines. I can also add two or three 12' overhand casting rods/reels/lines. I just need a little time to get everything rigged.

I am out there just about every Sunday at Highbank, ( Wilbur Park,) on the Bass River in South Yarmouth. This is where I practice:

Link To Spey & Two-Handed Casting (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=%5b492%2d499%5d%20High%20Bank%20Rd&city=South%20Yarmouth&state=MA&zipcode=02664&country=US&location=3PjHGvdo3bDwCTeWqwhxtYpGVANy5PqoUKOE3msTX 3np2TggKemw8jDoay9jKh%2fj9McohgL4nYvb4zY7YfK4Pn8Od J4cZp8EbG%2b%2bmrzNA%2btYpdvdR7%2bngl4TeF36xsB5pg8 Aemp1iW9m0Rzjvo7GOCZ84TWpq2xF)

I usually head over during the warmest part of the day, like after noon.

Anyone who wants to join me next Sunday, January 8, please post here and also e-mail me: jhorton@haydenreels.com