PDA

View Full Version : And I.....

BobG
02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
....did what all us locals do on a warm Sunday morning in February. Dug a limit of littlenecks. :brow

Onshore
02-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, I can't dig on Sundays but, I got a half basket of Steamers yesterday along with a half of Littlenecks and I'm going again tomorrow. Tonight I went down to the Highlands Country Club and listened to a neat local Irish band while having supper and watching the first half of the Super Bowl. Doesn't get much better; especially in February...

CMP
02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
I jealous of the life Bill leads...

CMP :-%

clambelly
02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
no oysters bob?
--125-3

fleshfly
02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
and how were they prepared/consumed?

ssully
02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
....did what all us locals do on a warm Sunday morning in February. Dug a limit of littlenecks. :brow

hmm...Bob
When are you going to send a few my way?

Onshore
02-07-2006, 07:19 AM
and how were they prepared/consumed?

Last Saturday's Softshells gave me two meals of steamers on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday's steamers were consumed the same way and were gone an hour after I got home. Now, I still have a couple qts. of Littlenecks and they are going into a clam sauce for tonight's pasta.

BobG
02-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Bill,

I made some littlenecks this way last night, and they were the best! :brow

In a large kettle I sauted a few strips of finely chopped bacon in olive oil.
When it was rendered and crispy, I added two large leeks, washed and finely cut, along with a couple cloves of chopped garlic, and several sun dried tomatoes also julliened. Reduced heat to low, put on the lid, and allow the leeks to saute and wilt (at least 20-25 minutes).
Add a cup of white wine, reduce by half, add a couple cups of clam broth (or chicken broth will do), and a half cup of milk. Bring to simmer,season with salt and pepper to taste. Ok, sauce is done.

In a large, high sided bowl arrange 25-30 freshly steamed littlenecks hinge side down. You want their open shells to be facing upwards. Now, pour a couple ladles of the leek mixture over the littlenecks, so their open shells catch and hold this delicious mixture.
Have a nice chunk of french bread to soak up all the jummy juices at the bottom of the bowl. :brow

Onshore
02-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Now you just decided how I'm going to prepare thos littlenecks for tonight's supper. Thanks, Bob.

Squidly
02-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I can stand so much and i can't stands no more!!! I am going to start clamming. These reports are just too much to sit on the sidelines anymore. I have'nt gone since i was a kid. What kind of gear do I need or works the best? I live in Plymouth so does I will get a license and is that only for plymouth waters? Depending on that response any obvious non UDL that you could recommend a rookie to start? Thanks

Jim Miller
02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Man ...... I'm getting hungry! --125-3

clambelly
02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
go to your town hall and see what your options are. im not sure about open/closed shellfishing areas in plymouth. if there are open areas you will be able to buy a town recreational permit that will allow you to dig a certain amount each week.

if you have no success getting a permit in plymouth, you can go to other towns and buy a non-resident permit which affords you the same rights as any resident of the town, only you will pay more money. each town charges different rates for out-of-towners. the state allows the towns to charge up to 5X what that charge their residents. here in bourne the non-resident permit will run you $175, which is about the highest you'll see. i think you can go to falmouth and get one for $50.

hope this helps get you on your way...

Onshore
02-07-2006, 04:27 PM
What CB said and, if your going to rake for Quahogs, get a RIBRAKE. Nothing else compares, IMHO.

BobG
02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Here's the link:

www.ribbrakes.com

Onshore
02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Bob. I was just looking that up. Anywho, here'a s picture of the RIBRAKE