PDA

View Full Version : Do Proposed Bft Regs Affect Stripers?

striperman13
02-25-2006, 12:08 PM
If the proposed bft regs are adopted how will that affect the pressure put on striped bass. A large number of us spent a significant amount of time chasing tuna last year, which also meant we were not catching as many stripers. If the 47" minimum length for bft is adopted I will most likely not target the bft because 47" fish on light tackle near shore seem to be rare. So here is my question. Would a 47" BFT limit reduce the time you spend fishing for them? Would it increase your striper fishing? Do you think the 47" three fish limit is a good idea?

Fin Addiction
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
It won't affect the way I fish. I think the new size limit is a great idea....I think 3 a day is a BAD idea....I think teaching people the correct way to fight, land, revive these fish is more important than any of the above...

greenboat
02-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Does not change my fishing either (except I may alter my tactics a bit when i want to bring one home)..

Soundking
02-25-2006, 02:13 PM
I think teaching people the correct way to fight, land, revive these fish is more important than any of the above...

Jeff is exactly right! That's where the key to effectivly regulating the harvest of this fishery lies. Anyone could have hooked up this year to the smaller fish that were around. People need to learn how to fight these fish low and short stroke them properly, switch angles, and get the fish TO the boat asap for a good release and survival.

mendy
02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Huh, Huh. JJ said "short stroke..."

Seriously, my first fish of 2005 was approx. 75lbs and topped the 47" mark. I had it to the boat in about 5 minutes on a spinning rod with 40lb straight mono. They are out there and can be caught and released with proper technique.

FWIW In each of the past three seasons before 2005 a 30lb fish was the smallest fish I saw. There were many, many more fish (in the same areas people caught them last year) in the 60-100lb. class.

Who knows what we will find in late summer 2006...

John

striperman13
02-25-2006, 04:32 PM
In 2003 and 2004 I saw a ton of these bigger fish (47" plus). Last year, at least in the area I was fishing (Eastern CC BAY to the H Buoy), there were many, many of the 20-30lb fish. If there is an abundance of bigger fish, the new limit makes sense. I did not see any schools of big fish last year.

Will someone write more about the technique used to land a 60-100# fish on "light" tackle? (penn 950 w/40lb braid and 6'6" heavy spin rod) I had a few epic battles with BFT in the 80-100lb# range in 2004 that I ended with lost fish.

Poppr
02-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Striperman,

You mentioned inshore BFT fishing but I can't imagine someone who trolls offshore water in an appropriately sized craft, waiting for the adrenaline rush of BFT hitting and drag screaming action will put much pressure on the areas I concentrate on.....flats fishing, surf casting, or in the boat in less than 40' of water during the time of the season when BFT are targeted. I might find more for sale on-line and in the local paper if the price of fuel stays high than I will in my neck of the woods.

I don't think I'm going to see a large influx of "canal rats" if they can't boat enough BFT nor will I see 25' offshore rigs fishing in 3' of water on the Barnstable flats.

I would also think that most folks are fishing an entire season for a variety of species, not just keeping the gear and boat in mothballs waiting until late summer for BFT to come along so the pressure might already be there to a certain extent.

Do the changes state that you can't catch fish under a certain length or that you can't keep fish under a certain length?

I catch all the stripers I can during the year and of course only keep those that are above the stated minimum size. But I sure enjoy the fight the other 99.9% of the fish that I land give me.