PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Shows

Punchshot
03-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I really like watching fishing shows, no matter the type of fish their catching or the method used to catch that fish, there are show much better than others - Walker Cay and Spanish Fly are very good show, but there are shows out there, where I start screaming at the television for the host to put the fish back in the water. Why do they have to explain in all the detail they can after catching the fish and pulling it out of the water, how they caught it. It's it pretty self explanatory how he caught the fish, then they spend more time filming the guy trying to revive the half dead fish before releasing it. The one show that drives me completely crazy is Chris Megan the publisher and host of On the Water Mag.. I have never once seen this guy just catch and release a fish - He's got to hold the fish up and show it to the camara, and give his little explanation of how the fish was caught. Thats my winter rant I need to go fishing

OceanRunner
03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
. . .and thatís the mad fishermanís tip of the week. . .

flynny
03-08-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm with Punchshot...I watch my share of fishing shows and I am amazed at how many supposedly experienced guides pick up the stripers by the gill plate, then after what seems like forever, they attempt to release it. Watching this on tv, it's tough to tell how long the fish is out of water with all the editing they do, however sticking your hand under the gill plate to either pull the fish out of the water or hoist it up for the camera to see is not something I expect to see from an experienced fisherman with the intent on C&R.

CaptSuperfly
03-08-2006, 09:01 AM
The one I really can't stand is Offshore Adventures. The duuuuuuuude who owns the boat (Chris) is such a tool. He's so hyper-rehearsed and insincere. It sounds like he's trying to sell me a "real estate system" instead of tell a fish story. "If you want to catch fish like me, get creditors off your back and be your own boss, you have to buy my 10 part system."

I also want to shoot my TV everytime he uses the phrases "My bride Melissa" or "back in the gourmet galley." I also get annoyed each time they bring up a graphic to credit their music composers in the middle of the show - every time they change their music bed. Have I mentioned I can't stand this show?

I like Jose from Spanish Fly a lot. He's a really good host because he gets the job done, but still sounds like a guide - not an Amway salesman. Flip can be a bit pretentious, but he is still as much about the fishing as the show - and I buy him as a gifted fisherman who can teach me something. Plus, the show looks great.

Yes, I'm ready for Spring.

sandy
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I tivo about six saltwater shows but Spanish Fly is by far my favorite. it is not exactly relevant to NE fishing since Jose mostly fishes the tropics, but I feel like he really knows what he is doing. Even his fish handling techniques are sometimes questionable however. Flip clearly knows what he's doing too but I get a little tired of his commentary.

JAVIDANGLER
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
This show to me is real annoying. First everywhere they go the camera angle is always down as to not disclose any location. But looking down in the rocking boat....

Also, every show they continually use the phrase..
"It doesn't get any better than this".

Then they always promote circle hooks. But never just
grab the hook in the water and release the fish. Instead,
hoist them out, grab them around the belly, wave them around far too long, and fianally pride themselves on big fish and a great release. Ever see what happens to bait in
the live well after just briefly touching them..

After the rocking deck, the annoying conversation, and
waving fish around far too long, I feel more sick than
anything else.

fmw
03-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I can't believe it takes until the second week of March to get a "fishing show" thread going. Who is a more obvious target for abuse by idiots like us suffering the winter shack nasties than the egotistic hosts of these shows?? Its such a ripe topic for entertaining posts.

Anyone notice that there's no new Flip Pallot shows this year? They're digging deep into decade old repeats. Makes you realize that Flip is no youngster. As corny as he is, I still like Flip the best: the great photography, and unlike most of the hosts of the other shows, Flip has very little ego. His lack of new shows makes me wonder whether his health is ok, or whether he just decided to take the year off.

I'm starting to hate Spanish Fly . . . he doesn't pick up the fly rod too much anymore. Plus -- and I hope I don't sound a little heartless here -- too many "make a wish foundation" episodes where he takes a cancer riddden youngster out into key west harbor and chums up tarpon on heavy tackle . . . its just something that i'm not interested in seeing.

Offshore Adventures . . . . duuuuuddde. Superfly said it all on what I think of the host, I do have to say, I kind of enjoy seeing the Pacific Coast for a change and the lifestyle that they're selling . . . life up and down the coast on a mega yacht. I could deal with that. I'm sure though that the crew finds the lifestyle less appealing now that they're dragging that new baby along.

Tred Barta . . . he's probably a major a-hole, but i gotta admit, the show can be pretty entertaining at times.

On the whole, I like the shows that are trying show a lifestyle, a trip, a journey, rather than being given a how to fish lesson, which is the case with the George Poveromo show, and a couple shows that are on in the New York area, which I'll call for now, the "Vinny and Tony Go Bunker Chunking in Long Island Sound" shows.

uncle4
03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
<hehehehehe> CaptSuperFly pegged Offshore Adventures nearly
perfectly. HEY CLUELESS: She's not your bride after the first
week.. I can't watch it any more.

I find Pallot stand-offish, and the two times I met him I didn't
like the chemistry. Someone pointed out that we're seeing
old shows rerun.. guess this could be the end.

George Povomoron.... the guest is driving the boat, there's a
hit and George grabs the rod (from this point forward, he says
ever fractured sentence twice <sometimes thrice>). Fights
the fish while pushing the guest out of the way so he can grab
a net, the throttle and the wheel all at once. I personally love
the way he fights a fish with a spinning rod: Either palming/
holding the spool, or holding the line with his non-rod hand....
WHAT a kerschtunky-head... LBBPP syndrome (little brain; big
pee-pee). I can't take this show.

Jose is okay. I like him personally, but he really tries to sell what
he endorses over (probably) what works. I agree with the
observation he's doing more non-fly fishing than before.

I don't know why, but I don't care for the "Billfish Extreme
Release League" stuff, either.... probably because they've
got the finnesse of pro-wrestler in a tutu.

I never liked Andy Mills, and thus never liked his shows....
odd how he kinda dropped of the face of the (broadcast)
earth.

There's another network that carries "Reel Adventures"...
I watched one episode where they fought a swordfish off
Miami for something like 11 hours... it was great amusement,
but of little fishing value.

If anyone has a netflix subscription, go get the 4 or 5 episodes of
"Fishing with John (Lourie)"...... simple madness... VERY weird.

And hey! fmw.... no winter shack blues for me: Tides right for bones
at 10:00am tomorrow, and I got room for one. Lemme know if you
wanna go. ;)

Tight Lines ya'll

Uncle 4

rhodehawg
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I really like watching fishing shows, no matter the type of fish their catching or the method used to catch that fish, there are show much better than others - Walker Cay and Spanish Fly are very good show, but there are shows out there, where I start screaming at the television for the host to put the fish back in the water. Why do they have to explain in all the detail they can after catching the fish and pulling it out of the water, how they caught it. It's it pretty self explanatory how he caught the fish, then they spend more time filming the guy trying to revive the half dead fish before releasing it. The one show that drives me completely crazy is Chris Megan the publisher and host of On the Water Mag.. I have never once seen this guy just catch and release a fish - He's got to hold the fish up and show it to the camara, and give his little explanation of how the fish was caught. Thats my winter rant I need to go fishing

Knowing Chris Megan---he's probably reading cue cards behind the cameraman :rolleyes:

gilly09
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
If you missed "Chasing Silver" on OLN you are bumming. 4 weeks of tarpon mayhem!

Best produced show I've seen yet.

I'm hoping Guide House is done as tastefully.

Speaking of which.......Can Capt. McCarthy elaborate on when we might see the show?

I've seen ads but nothing with regard to air times.

CaptSuperfly
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes, "Fishing with John" is one of the strangest and best fishing shows ever... Just goes to show that the company you share is as important as the fishing trip. Dennis Hopper in Thailand.. now that's a fishing trip.

I agree on George P. I'm tired of watching that boat bounce up and down while he trolls. Every show looks exactly the same. gets me seasick.

I'll confess that the really local shows are a guilty pleasure. I have a little giggle every time Rich Johnson starts every sentence with "Folks..." as in "Folks, do yourself a favor and get in on some of this tremendous schoolie striper action right out here in Jamaica Bay." My favorite is one from a pulblic access station here in Manhattan that I think is called "the urban angler" (not affiliated with the fine store of the same name.) The host sits in his living room, with a camera aimed at himself and introduces clips from party boat trips that are mostly of the back of people's heads. He almost ALWAYS misses the actual fish. It's really an art form. Then, for his graphic credits, he holds pieces of paper with the show information on it in front of the lense.

He's gonna be a star.

soundownsam
03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Why hasn't anyone picked on Mark Sosin yet? I have no idea why he goes to Flamingo to catch sharks. Everyone else down there is trying to stay away from them.. I have never seen him take on a very challenging species on his shows.

I like George Poveromo's show. He covers a lot of territory on his shows which is better than some guys who only cover 50 square miles of water in a whole season. If you ever have a chance to see George speak take it he gives a very good seminar. Even know it alls like me pick up a few tips.

Jose's show is good because I like seeing what my dream life would be like. Basically living in and fishing out of Key West would be unbelievable. As for "heavy tackle" he uses in the harbor go hook up a 80lb + tarpon there on 12 or 8lb and let me know how it goes for you. Those fish are just plain mean. They sit down deep in the current, don't jump and make you work.

Sam