PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying and Dogs

BigBoatDog
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Has anyone out there had a dog eat any of their deer tails or feather saddles?
My puppies have taken a liking to them and I am afraid they will get at them somehow when I am not around to prevent it and end up sick.
BBD

albacized
03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
When cutting rabbit fur or maribou, I have inadvertently inhaled the stuff floating around in the air and I never had any adverse affects.....what were we talking about???? :confused:

Chuckster
03-12-2006, 09:41 PM
My Golden ate one of my best natural deer tails... it came out looking almost the same as when it went in. He has an iron stomach, and it didn't cause any problems for him, but it was less than enjoyable for me trying to pick it all up off the lawn...

The best one was when he got into the grocery bags as I was unloading the truck one day. The next day, there it was, slightly "discolored" on the lawn: the entire half pound of Boar's Head Honey Ham, still sealed in the bag with the UPC sticker on it. Ate it whole and passed it whole... goofball.

rockfisherman
03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, my Brittany grabbed a natural deer tail off my tying bench and ate it. He threw it up, but was none the worse for wear a couple days later.

BobG
03-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I never had one of my dogs eat any of my fly tying materials. But my young male lab ate one of my wet socks I removed one night after returning home with a leaky wader.
Result: 2 surgeries worth $5000+ at Angell Memorial, and loss of 30% of his small intestine. To this day he needs a special 'stomach diet' and a couple $$'s worth of vitamin supplements per diem.

Advice: Keep the bucktails out of Fido's reach! Be real carful with the dogs. They don't always regurgitate what they swallow.

catspaw
03-13-2006, 06:50 AM
I have a 105 lb Weimariner that can eat and has eaten almost anything. Whole size 12 socks in and out in tact on a regular basis. Whole underwear- no problem. Two Christmases ago I noticed he had some thing in his mouth, upon investigation it was the little wire top that's on glass Christmas tree onrnaments. I pried open his mouth, the inside of his mouth was full of red glass pieces from an ornament. I said "No way I'm calling the vet Christmas morning with this, if he dies he dies." Next day two very festive "piles" in the back yard. Red glitter in the "piles" was a really nice holiday touch. He has another amazing abilty, he can selectively "hurl." He can eat a sock, later he can eat his dinner, an hour later he can "hurl" the sock and not "hurl" any of his dinner. He's amazing.

Jim Miller
03-13-2006, 07:23 AM
I'd be more concerned if the deerhair & feathers were attached to a 3/0 SS Hook... :eek: