PDA

View Full Version : Gartside's Secret Stuff

Barry Lackman
03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Anybody use this material? I see him make wonderful creations with it, but I can never make it work. I have trouble getting long enough strands, they frizz at the ends, and break when I comb it. What am I doing wrong?

dlangan
03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I have made a bunch of secret stuff flies. They have been fun and easy to make (for me). But, I did spend some time at Jack's table at Marlborough and bought his secret flies book (nice book!).

Although I understand the issues you are having, I do not understand why. Are you trying to construct the fly as Jack described. Also what steps are you incorporating?

I would like to be more help. But I'll say these are fun to make.

Barry Lackman
03-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm trying to duplicate what he did and what's in his book. As I said, the strands come out frizzy and when I try to comb them out, they tear.

Onshore
03-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I've used it in the past but find that Dave Skok's Mega Mushy and a couple other products are about the same.

dlangan
03-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, like Bill said, it a variation on an angel hair theme like Skok's patterns (which I also tie and like :-)). But I must add Bill, that forming heads with cement thereby melting the material and painting these big eyes on w/ fabric paint is... well... to me fun and pretty. It's all fun. Until the fly fishing is slow and Joey pulls out the tube... Someday I'll beat it. Then again Charlie Brown is still trying to kick that football :rolleyes:

Ok, I assume (right or wrong...?) you are having problems with picking out the secret stuff dubbing (given what you wrote). I am putting on the "dubbing" very heavy - in a way that would make you choke if you were tying trout flies. I use a needle to fibers out. I then use an eyebrow comb or mustache comb to comb the fibers out. Frizzing and breakeage do occur - but not creating any glaring visual problems. I do tie in more fibers at the head for the "super smooth head" as Jack writes.

I have had good success making these. Now to try them out :-) They should make a super estuary pattern - paticularly in all peacock for nighttime.

Barry Lackman
03-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I have no problem with the dubbing. The "frizzing" occurs with the long strands. Tonight I ended up with a rat's nest that clung to my fingers from static.