PDA

View Full Version : TV Show

foxbos
03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi All,

I'm a relative newcomber to this forum. Wish I found it sooner. I'm just getting back into flyfishing after a 5 yr absence (kids, house, wife and life got in the way).

But I've got about 20+ years in the television and video business. I've been kicking around the idea of a Saltwater Fly Fishing show to air on a local/regional cable network.

I'd like to shoot a pilot this spring and am looking for a host and co-host who have some personality.

First, do you think you'd like to see such a show and if you know anyone that might be interested in hosting, please let me know.

Onshore
03-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Sure. Why not. Anybody but Charlie Moore........

Bob Parsons
03-20-2006, 05:00 PM
who have some personality.

Guess that leaves me out. --124-3

flyaddict
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I live for saltwater fly fishing.
I watch any and all episodes on TV OLN, OTC, ESPN2.
Unfortunately they need a breath of fresh air.
Take me fishing is a new show that just began on ESPN2.
It began the first sunday in Jan. I think they only filmed four episodes.
I've seen each one twice.
The Spanish fly episode on Sunday I have seen 4 times.
I still watch them because I am hooked.

I would love to see local guides, urban fishing, technique & fly tying segments.
My 2 cents

clambelly
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
hey!
Charlie Moore is the best!
:brow

averagejoe
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi All,
I'd like to shoot a pilot this spring and am looking for a host and co-host who have some personality.

I know two guys but it would have to be on late night and on HBO

Fin Addiction
03-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I knew all the years of hard work and sacrifice were gonna eventually pay off...--127-3-

OffshoreAngler
03-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe I should get my teeth whitened :brow Lose a pound or two & buy some more hair :eek:

Paul Cheever
03-20-2006, 08:41 PM
(#$119) A word of advice if I may;don't forget to over use the buzz words such as:"SON"with a long southern drawl.and" that's what I'm talkin about"and y'all gonna like dis here fly cuz it pushes alota wata and this here flys a purfect imitation of a minna. --127-3- --126-3-

seatrout
03-20-2006, 08:42 PM
You've got the right approach at the start, as you already know. To succeed a show like you propose must have good material ... and personalities to carry it off who can perform in front of a camera. I probably don't have your answers, but I certainly can give you some places to start. PM me and we can use email to see if I can help.

Paul Cheever
03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Seatrout ;stay out of my neighborhood,as a matter of fact I think the north shore area is perfect for this. --127-3- :brow

seatrout
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Paul .... what kind of a two hander did you get? That ought to be great in your favorite spot on that beach when the surf is up!

Paul Cheever
03-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I picked up a CND atlantis 11x11(oceana they call it now)a couple of years ago.It's perfect for those conditions and when the stripes are working a little further than the single hander can reach.I had fun with it last October in all those NE gale wind days when the sea herring showed along the bay. :brow

MarkO
03-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey foxbos and everybody else. I'm also in the biz ( videographer / editor) and have been kicking the idea for a pilot around for a while. There obviously are a few production concerns right up front in order to do it right. Everything should be doubled - like needing 2 boats, 2 steadicams (2 cameramen) not to mention good on-camera talent. What I've seen of fishing shows there aren't many that are very compelling. Something is really missing from all of them and I've thought about what it might be. The pilot I was thinking about wouldn't be talent driven as much as it would rely on the interaction of a competent host and a special guest - someone who specializes and really knows their stuff. The format would be something like this:

Today on xxxxxx, we're going to target striped bass utilizing the xxxxxxx method. Joining us is my special guest xxxxxxx from xxxxxxx who will show us his technique and later on, he'll join us back in the shop and demonstrate how he creates xxxxx rigs.

I want to watch a show for guys who fish, I'd be intersted to see what people want in a fishing show.

Fin Addiction
03-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I dunno....How to fishing shows get old....The best I have seen lately was that month long special on chasing silver with Andy Mill....It was more of like a documentary with incredible footage that was not only exciting to watch but soothing as well. There was very little catching going on but still the show grabbed you and made you want to be in that shows location.
My idea of a fishing tv show would be one that concentrated on photography, background music and some narrative drama played out....Look how well Flip Pallot has done with this technique....You really do not care if Flip and guest catch fish, what keeps you watching is he seems to put you in his enviorment and appreciate it for all its worth.....There has got to be some hardcore action but I think it is at the bottom of the list....
Watching those two guys from NY on NESN is as boring as it gets for me....

SamRiley
03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I'd be all over this one for sure thought the spot burning may pose a problem if it ends up being a shore thing in part or whole.

MarkO
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
There was a show on in the early - mid 90's that used to play on Sunday nights on channel 68 at like 10:00 PM . It was a fishing new england type show, with low production value and it was hosted by 1 guy. The cameraman would follow him around...it was run and gun the whole time. I recall 1 episode where he fished the North River with live eels....it was pretty cool.

chathamgreg
03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I suggest following the strategy used by ESPN a few years back on the show "fish on". How chicks in tight bikini's catching fish --126-3- ...how can you go wrong?

Dub
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I have no idea how that show got cancelled. Seemed like the perfect combination.

peteD
03-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm sick of seeing people at mid day fishing from a boat. I want a show that shows guys sneeking through backyards to get to the water, or that have waded half a mile off the beach in the dark. Lets see someone standing on jetty in the pouring rain or howling wind, or some of the nut jobs in wet suits floating off the beach. Shows about fishing are as boring as watching golf. It one of those things you do, not watch.

foxbos
03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
I really wanted to thank all for the responses. It's been very helpful and has given me some great ideas. For all those who IM me, I'll be responding soon.

I can assure you that this will be no boring "how to" show. It will be fun and entertaining.

Bob Parsons
03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
If your a quide that is not a Reel-Time sponsor, you cannot post links to shows in which you are a part of.

Frankie G
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
It was called "Sportfishing the Northeast"...the guy rocked...total local..i too remember that guy trudging along the North River with live eels...what a great show...true though that fishing shows in generla need a facelift...I do like Charlie Moore more for his enthusiasm and love of fishing than for the programming though.

greenboat
03-22-2006, 09:26 AM
How about a shorebound/ non power (yes yak included) fishing show ? I don't think that has been tried before. Each show would detail a different location, style, etc. and would highlight some of the better shore bound fishing..I can think of a few now..

Livelining the canal
night Eeling the north shore rocks
surfcasting the islands
Florida snook
Fat Alberts on nantucket

I have to agree with Fin addiction. The how to boating shows are getting a little old. On the dopcumentary side, I was actually thinking about a doc profiling a season of Giant fishing in the Northeast (that would be cool)...would be great to profile some of the purse seine/ rod reel issues..and capture the issues surrounding a depleting commercial fishery...

riptide
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Greenboat,

Cool idea, but I think you'd find allot of people would be really mad if shore spots were detailed on tv. They get mad about boat spots, from what I keep hearing shore spots are even more of a comodity. It's a double edged sword, the best spots with the best information would be the best viewing but would cause the most uproar :confused:

greenboat
03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Riptide,
I hear ya. I don't think you need to be overly specific when detailing the actual spot- "Livelining the Cape Cod Canal" for instance. Certainly, those with some smarts could piece together the location based on the footage. It would mainly be geared to techniques, gear and reading water rather than actually burning spots (a show that would allow you to utilize/try different shore techniques at your own shore spots)..

I am actually more interested in the Bluefin documentary. I think a chronicle of a season with a true commercial bluefin boat/ captain would shed alot of light on the difficulties/ regulations that these guys struggle with. Not many of the hardcore left (and I imagine the stocks of diehards will continue to decline)..While expensive to produce properly, I think could make a very interesting story (for fisherman and non fisherman).

PeteV
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I'd use the show as an opportunity to show-off the region and some of the guides. You got some great folks who fish the shore & other equally great folks who fish via Kayak, inshore & offshore.

I'd just cycle through the seasons --

Spring Summer Fall.
STRIPERS, Blues & others
Or some local largemouth in the heat of the summer
or some local streams & ponds for trout

or through in an odd ball weird show with picking off Carp on the Concord river.
or a Sturgeon from the Merimack.

and then in the Winter you have some local stuff with
Ice fishing kettle ponds or the Wachusett Reservoir.
Or Steelhead in Pulaski

Not to mention cycling between the hard core fly guys and plug guys. I love some of the real great plugs some of the locals crank out. And Flinging plugs from the surf has its own weird type of following.

You've got Rocky points off of Maine , NH, Rockport & Gloucester.
Beaches off of Salsbury, Plum Island & Cranes.
Rivers like the Merimack & flats like Joppa....not to mention everything around the South Shore ....AND every inch of the Cape. Talk about contrast between Coastguard Beach , Monomoy and Brewster Flats...and of course MV & Nantucket....theres a lot of stuff and its all different. The show almost does itself.

greenboat
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Pete V- Spot on. Also, does not just have to be New England. Following the bass in NC, snook & tarpon in florida, and other species gives the show some diversity.

The local guide aspect is the key ingredient. Having well informed local guides highlight a technique, location and species is critical.

The locations/ species are endless. I could probably think up three seasons worth of interesting shows in a few days..

bobfishgerald
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd be all over this one for sure thought the spot burning may pose a problem if it ends up being a shore thing in part or whole.

I was really into this idea until I read this post which I think is a sentiment several have repeated.
I think unless every show focuses on locals like OTW's Phantom Beach the show will prove to be very upseting to many.

greenboat
03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
I think there are enough well known spots on the eastern seaboard that you could protect "spot burning" by focusing on larger locales and locales where you don't specifically detail your location..

For instance,
eel fishing the rocks of north shore or
surfcasting the beaches of cape cod
Jetty fishing on MV

Even in the specific cases (fishing Race Point), i don't think that would constitute spot burning.

I still think it makes a good show but sensitivity would need to be taken with respect to flaming out a smaller, lesser known spot.

notime
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Anybody ever see the fishing show on local cable in RI? Don't know the name but it is an older guy (60s) with his dumb budy. His mom is in the show occasionally. Show is as much a comedy as a fishing show, but the guy is a fisherman. Low production quality but not a bad show.

Side note: Who is the target audience for the typical fishing show?

Dub
03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
[/QUOTE] Side note: Who is the target audience for the typical fishing show?

I am. 32 year old male with a 6 month old daughter at home. No fish up here yet. Can't go skiing. Wife frowns upon any allegedly "dangerous" activities involving said child like skiing with her in the Baby Bjorn. Up at dawn. Cooped up in the house all weekend - one eye on baby, the other watching anything to do with fishing. Can't wait for summer.

greenboat
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Halarious summary Dub.

Agree 100%.

Thunder Rod
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Very tempting, but for the curse, jinx, whatever it is...

I've been scheduled to film with "Fishing New England" 4 times now. The first was the only time the weather didn't turn into a complete, unseasonable, fluke of a washout. It turned out just to be a slow day on the canal: great for instructional footage, not so great on actual fish hitting the rocks. (BDowning caught the only decent-sized fish, and it was off camera!)

The 2nd time was a fluke (summer flounder) fishing shoot in July and the weather went all to hell. Go figure. Cancelled.

The 3rd time was last fall on the canal. A huge monsoon blew in overnight, whipping rain, 30+ mph winds...just brutal conditions. Standing on the rocks, soaked to the bone, trying to keep the cell phone from becomming waterlogged, I called off the film crew at 2-am before they arrived. Then of course the rain stopped and I really nailed 'em using soft plastics that night. Go figure.

The 4th was a generally scheduled, ice fishing segment. Of course we had almost zero safe ice in SE Mass this past winter where the shoot was scheduled!

With the fluke weather, it get's to the point where it's almost personal...

How about Terry?

riptide
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
How about Terry?

I don't know Thunder Rod, I'm kinda shy and don't like to talk much --125-3

Thunder Rod
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
That's ok Terry, every team needs one outgoing yakker (ie. me) and one of the strong silent type, (kind of like the TV version of the trusty "good cop-bad cop" interrogation team ha-ha-ha...). The Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis of the salt...

You just stand there and look confident and I'll do all the talking, (explaining why we're fishing in a raging blizzard in August as we film on Little Buttermilk Bay). I fished with Vinnie DiCaccio (formerly of the "Yankee fisherman" show) without cameras last Oct and it still snowed!