PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Montauk Show?

Wild Bill
03-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Brendan-

Is there now a definite date for the ESPN Guide House Montauk show? Want to make sure I do not miss it.

mctrout
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Sunday, April 30th @10:30 am!! thanks for asking. we are happy with it, hope you are as well..

Ray
03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Gotta get that one on TiVo / Tape!!!

PAX and I were there the (or one) weekend they were taping!! The fishing and weather was great and made for constant Albie action!!!!

mctrout
03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
And thus Ray, I never returned your PM and feel bad about it. Was so swamped setting stuff up and guiding I didnt sleep for a month. sorry about that....

Wild Bill
03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks Brendan. Looking forward to seeing it.

All the guys I have taken to Montauk liked Peter Kaminsky's book because they had been there, experienced the fishing and met some of the people.

The ESPN show should also be great for many of the same reasons.

The Susky Flats catch and release season is about to bust open. It is the first year in four that we have not has monsoon rains and mud. This March has been cold but dry. We may have a good shot at them this year once it warms a little. My boat is in a slip there and I am going to take a look see this Thurs.

Ray
03-21-2006, 12:10 PM
And thus Ray, I never returned your PM and feel bad about it. Was so swamped setting stuff up and guiding I didnt sleep for a month. sorry about that....

Brendan,

Don't worry about it. I got some good general information about that seasons fishing. The season before PAX and I did a similar trip and hired a guide for the first half day. He gave us the lay of the land which help greatly. This year we kept the boat in a slip at the boat basin and got a hotel across the street. Each day we would simply get some coffee and walk across the street just before dawn, then return after sunset!!!!

Last year there were plenty of hunger Albies. Once I found the fly and light metals that worked we had tight lines for 4 days!!! The weather was great too!!! I took advantage of it one day to watch a school of Albies come right at the bow, where I was standing ready to cast, then go right under the boat with a mid day sun and clear water it was a great experience.

jpuris
04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Sunday, April 30th @10:30 am!! thanks for asking. we are happy with it, hope you are as well..

Can't wait!!

brushfly
04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Like Kaminskey's book, a show in Montauk would only be complete with a snippet or two talking to Harvey Bennett. Will he grace celuloid?

Got me into the game in '93.

jpuris
04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I hate to say it (as I know many will share your thoughts) but he was a casuality of the editing. We had a GREAT interview with Harvey talking about the East end fishing scene and about all the guides in the show. He had a lot to say for sure. We had to cut down 150 hours to 3 so while its jam packed with great stuff Harvey and some other important people did not make it. I will try to get some of the "lost footage" together for people to check out online..... will take some time though.

Albiemanmike
04-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Brendan,

You should make a DVD with all of the content that you had to cut added in I bet guy's would definitely buy it.

dlangan
04-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah, what Albiemanmike said!

brushfly
05-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Ditto on the uncut stuff. It's a shame about Harvey as I'm sure he had some gems about the evolution of Montauk fly fishing. He was after all "the first" to guide fly fisherman out east.

Ray
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I thought the show was great. I hope to catch the rest. I watched it with my fiancée who had lots of questions. This quote of hers may make you laugh (Brendan) ;)

"is there always so much swearing in fishing!"

I told her you haven't heard anything yet! At least they didn't cover the fist fights that can break out at Turtle Cove.

The show gave a good perspective that though fishing is passionate for many of us, a guides life can be pretty tough.

mctrout
05-01-2006, 01:48 PM
oh boy- youre not kidding. Wait till some of the later ones. Jason Puris, the Executive Producer, director, etc.. had his hands full with all that. Thanks so much for watching, we really appreciate it. I still havent watched it as I was fishing but am going to try to see it today from the TIVO. Last one I saw was low res without the final music, bleeping and everything..
Tell your friends please!!!

JGH
05-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Good show, Brendan. Even with Goulart in his skivvies.

stevec
05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Well done!

Iwan
05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Good job Brendan :-%

exmtguide
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
I love the sushi idea.................lol

I'd like to see a copy on DVD as well.

Bill P.

Philster
05-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Guide House is great! Definately the most entertaining fishing show I've seen. Please start planning the 2006 shoot now.

brushfly
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm into it as well, I just hope to see less reality and more fishing as the show develops. Techniques, patterns, etc. and not so much complaining about clients, combat boat handling, politics on the water, etc. Those are the aspects if we had a choice, we would do without.

Punchshot
05-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Brushfly, the parts of the show that you don't like , is what makes this show so great. If you want to learn how to fish read lou tabory's book or watch anyother fishing show on ESPN saltwater Sunday

brushfly
05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Punch,

Yea, I read Tabory's book about 8 years ago and had my boat at Gone Fishing Marina in Montauk from 87-96. Fly fished the waters mentioned extensively, Brown's, Caswells. Sewer Pipe.......with much success.

Hey, this was the first episode, I just would prefer to see Paul "tango" up a cow from some structure without all the nonesense of people finger pointing over a school of 22" fish.

brushfly
05-02-2006, 10:39 AM
And for the record, I'm into the show. Thought it was shot great, love the underwater shots of the blitz and even the light hearted moments of the guide jumping in for his brush, Andes fish preperation, etc.

mctrout
05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
You think we are going to give away all of our secrets??? then we wouldn't be guides in a crazy place like Montauk!!! (kidding of course, sort of..!!)

mendy
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Nice work Brendan.

What's next, Guide House Queens?

brushfly
05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Brendan,

Did I recognize the house as one along Soundview Ave. just east of Culloden Pt. ? Nice digs.

mctrout
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
good eyes. that was the place. Originally had one on the beach by Gurneys but this one worked out better in the end. was great and less than a mile to the marina!!
Hoping to do some other locations. well see. If people like it and let it be known, we will get a chance... I think a NYC one would be fun but who knows.
thanks for watchin. Hows Boston fishing John?

gilly09
05-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought it was a good first episode. The guts are ahead of us and it looks to be entertaining :)

brushfly
05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Brendan,

Thought you might dig this view of Culloden Shores in the early seventies. That's me baiting up at 8 yrs. old. The arrow points to the first house that went in on the point, it was my father's art director who had it built around 1970 or so. Your house is somewhere in those dunes over my left shoulder.

Progress...........

mctrout
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
man-must have been incredibly beautiful. sure would be nice to have been out there without 100 boats. ( i am one to talk, I know!!)
Paul has a tape of some footage shot in the late eighties of some bass blitzes where there are NO other boats!!! I think I may skip this year!!! :eek:

Wild Bill
05-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Brendan-

The first show was one of the best fishing shows that I have seen. Look forward to the next ones. I like the fishing more than the fluff, but my wife liked the fluff. Something for everyone. Great job.

mctrout
05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Bill- it sure was a group effort. a very large group. BTW Episode 1 is replaying manana at 630 am and episode2 (the new one) is playing at 1030 am.
How is the fishing down your way? been pretty good here, just starting to get the bass to eat flies over in Raritan, JBay has been good for a few weeks. Check out this weakfish from today. total pig. HUGE belly. just under 13 pounds on the boga although you wouldnt know it since it isnt held up to the camera from incredibly outstretched arms as par usual!!!
hope to see you up this way soon!!

Wild Bill
05-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Brendan-

That is a beauty of a trout.

After four years of monsoon rains during the C & R season in the Susky Flats, we finally got a break this year. Fishing was mostly good. My largest fish was a 30 pound on a Stillwater Popper. Caught plenty on the fly but nothing to fire up the camera. Stillwaters also work great in Raritan and Montauk when not flinging the fly. (I have no commercial interest in this lure and pay retail for them but they are made near by my home.) My favorite topwater striper lure went out of production in 2004.

Two buds both caught fish over 50" but neither weighed them.

Will be fishing up your way in about two weeks. A friend of mine has been fishing a tournament out of a kayak in J-bay since Thurs and was being eaten up by bluefish with fly and spin last I heard from him. I am of an age where I like a motor on my boat.

Hard to say what the mid Chesapeake will be like this year. It has been much drier and the salt line should come up farther. That may help what was mostly poor late spring and summer trout and striper fishing last year.

Wild Bill
05-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Today's show was another enjoyable one.

Demonstrates clearly how guiding can be frustrating at times. There can be problems with weather, lack of fish willing to feed, money, clients, other guides and unguided fishermen. It is surely sweet when it all comes together for them.

Every recreational fisherman faces many of the same issues but not quite the pressure to produce every day. With taking regular buds fishing, there is always the next fishing day which may be real soon--like tomorrow. When guys go with me often, the overall experience is very positive. The occasional slow day is pretty easily absorbed and forgotten.

I am fishing Narragansett Bay three days with a guide in June. I understand the guide is pretty excitable but a good fish finder. He will have two old salts on board who know the routine. It will be an interesting experience.

TryFly
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Did RT pull Amanda's link on the Guide's page? I was surfing around on Friday and used the link to get to Amanda's page. When I went back later in the day to order her new DVD, the link was gone or I just couldn't find it. (#$119) It was right after the moderator edited a post by Jason Puris announcing this weeks episode of Guide House.

Bob Parsons
05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
You can use the private message system to exchange information that can not be on the public forum.