PDA

View Full Version : Furled leaders

gotcha
03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
I have used them once about a week ago while snook fishing with a #8. WOW can they turn over a line in windy conditions. So my use with them is limmited to a few hours. So, when it comes to furled leaders,,,,who likes them, who dislikes them, who uses them. I was concidering adding them to my flats equipment.

widdoes
03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
In Boca P. once, Alphonso made me a "furled" leader when I told him that I only had 30# shock tippet (I meant to have 60, but the online tackle shop sent me 2 coils of 30 by mistake). He twisted up a nice 3' section of 30# double that did very well in the wind (there's always wind) and mangrove roots. But, I didn't realy know that what he was doing might be practiced by others.
-WJ

RogerStg
03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
In Boca P. once, Alphonso made me a "furled" leader when I told him that I only had 30# shock tippet (I meant to have 60, but the online tackle shop sent me 2 coils of 30 by mistake). He twisted up a nice 3' section of 30# double that did very well in the wind (there's always wind) and mangrove roots. But, I didn't realy know that what he was doing might be practiced by others.
-WJ

FWIW, you described a twisted butt section, not furled, though there are some similarities.
I like them for their ability to turn over flies, but for NE saltwater, they are not really needed. I have thought about using them for bonefish.