PDA

View Full Version : Tying supplies online?

phishpic
04-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Anyone ever had any luck shopping for tying supplies online? I looked at Cabelas, but looking at the pics, I wasnt sure the quality would be too good. Looking for suggestions please! thanks

zimmjas
04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
I use DELETED Never had any problems with them and the owner, Chris Windram, is a pretty personable guy. He's always more than willing to help you out with what you're looking for. However, with that said, I never buy bucktails or hackles on-line; I always have to see them first.

Onshore
04-05-2006, 06:33 PM
No !

I buy all of my tying supplies, along with tackle from independent dealers in my area. You may save a $ or two on line or at the big box stores but you will not get the service a local shop can give you.

Why would you buy something from someone you don't know who doesn't know you or give a s@@t about you who's located miles away in an area you aren't ??? Stop in and meet your local dealer.

featherbaiter
04-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes!!! DELETED These guys bought Hunter's Angling in NH and the new setup is even better!

phishpic
04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I was nervous buying my bucktails and hackles online which is why I ask the question. My only local flyshop in NYC is Urban Angler, and I have no problem with that shop, just trying to save some cash ya know? Thnks for the replies.
c

SeaRay
04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi phishpic,
You can find a lot of quality materials on Ebay.
If you want something fast you can search the Buy-it-Now option.
I do not know where you live... I could suggest some locations if you live in the Massachusetts area.
Also, you could go to a search engine and browse through the items you are looking for .
Good Luck.
I hope this information will help you "Hook Up" with some nice materials.
:-%
SeaRay

Jacob K.
04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
i have had mix luck with bucktails online. the ones from cabella's are sh@t so dont get them. ebay can be good, especially if you want mixed lots of stuff. sometimes good deals. but nothing beats picking out your own bucktail in a local store.

Ray
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry folks I had to cut the links as they were not RT sponsors.

MatthewP
04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm lucky in that I live close to a few fly shops (Bear's Den in Taunton, the last name in fly tying supplies) so I'm able to get everything I need off the shelf. It goes without saying that it's a gamble when buying naturals sight unseen. The few times I've tried to go with the predictable supplies, like hooks and eyes, through the internet - I've not had good experiences. For me, it's a big advantage to be able to see/handle what I'm buying. I haven't memorized things like clouser eye sizes/weights, and there seems to be a few ways of describing them, which leads to confusion. Combining that with the advantage of supporting my local shops keeps me off the net for all of my fishing related purchases, including materials.

One question to ask is how much are you saving, and is it worth the potential hassle of a bad experience?

btw, am i able to name the shop, just not link to it?

Ray
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
When you buy something you really like keep the label or pouch it came in. This way when you need more you know exactly what you're getting regardless of source.

MatthewP
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Not that I'm organized enough to actually save useful information, but I've threatened to hang onto that stuff in the past for just that reason. When comparing apples to apples, it's a good idea. My trouble came from an apples/oranges situation. I was buying a new product that I hadn't used before (a specific brand of really cool red clouser eyes), which came in three sizes: small, medium, and (oddly enough) large. Turns out that the the supplier and I have different ideas about what constitutes "medium" - probably stemming from the freshwater/saltwater divide. Didn't know that until I got it, and the lady on the phone couldn't answer my questions when I ordered.

jokes on me, though. I don't think the fish really care what color the eyes are. they've been eating my lead-colored clouser eyes for years. Classic case of trying to solve a problem I didn't really have, and created a new one. --125-3

Brad G.
04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I buy my materilas from First Light in Rowley, or Saltwater Edge in Newport, RI. They both are local shops that know their stuff and have great quality materials. Highly reccomend either one. SWE is online, and I know First Light is working on getting their online shop up and running.

Brad

JohnDe
04-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I am lucky enough to have a half dozen shops within an hour's ride and I support them all. These days with my gas guzzling suv that adds $10 - $20 before I purchase anything. I always come out with more than I went in for as I am addicted to both hair and feathers. That being said I have purchased several items on both E-Bay and online vendors. You can spend $7.00 dollars for a bucktail with 5" hair but if you only need 3" hair then all your bucktail doesn't have to be the $7.00 variety. I like Gamikatsu and Mustad Signature hooks. Two of the shops mentioned above will sell you CS68 Signature hooks in 1/0 and 2/0 for either $7.99, $8.95 or $9.95. There is an online/catalog place that I have been buying from for 25 years (name starts with hook) that will sell the more expensive 2/0 for $5.44 or 20% off $6.80. The 1/0 is even less. The largest online vendor that has the largest catalog (first name bob, last name is a major hotel chain) will ship for free if you spend $50. They have a bunch of colors and sizes of the plastic eyes with stems for $1.35. The local guys have limited colors and sizes for twice the price. After burning a tank of gas I went with the free shipping offer. I do quite a bit of trout tying so I am always looking for deals on items like hooks.
If you are fortunate enough to be near a real shop then great. Alternatively, there are many online vendors who have their own site or sell via E-Bay that sell quality stuff. Look at their feedback on E-Bay and avoid the guys that scalp you on shipping. As far as fly materials, Cabelas does not appeal to me in terms of variety or price. Good luck and tight wraps.

S\\'E
04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I know you're looking to order online, but feel free to call if you have specific requests on tying materials.

Crinkly, straight, thin, whatever you want for bucktail is what we'll pull off the wall.

You can order online and then send a follow up email with bucktail specifics as well if you'd like. Not quite as good as buying firsthand, but a whole lot better then buying blind.

Paul Cheever
04-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I never buy bucktails or hackles unless I can see it up close and personal,just because they may say it's olive or blue dun or rusty orange doesn't always mean the exact color your looking for.there are many shades of olive.every dyeing sequence does not come out the same as the rest.If you find a particular shade of color your looking for buy more than you think you will need if you can, you may never find it again.

FishHawk
04-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I agree with Paul , have to see the Bucktails and necks before I buy . I recently went to a know flyshop for their bucktails and they had a very poor selection in the shop. So you never know what your getting till you see it. The clerk gave me a discount because the selection was so bad. FishHawk