PDA

View Full Version : Final word on Eels

parapapam
04-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Guys,

What is the final word on buying/using eels for this year?

Mike

Poppr
04-13-2006, 12:32 PM
No restrictions that I know of.

Rumours are sometimes discussed of impending doom but nothing concrete from the powers that be.

As for myself, I was shown a nice tactic for using eel skins and I plan on rigging up a few of my old surface plugs with a skin and single hooks off the belly. Kept in a small bag with kosher salt my plug should last numerous seasons if I use stainless hooks.

My source tells me that thrown into a rip and fished SLOWLY it should be more deadly than a live eel and last a long time to boot. --127-3-

bdowning
04-13-2006, 12:35 PM
No restrictions in 2006. There's talk of a management plan for 2007, but too early to tell what that will entail.

-bd

Guys,

Mike

Pauper Piscator
04-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Not sure if your "stainless" hooks will last a few seasons in a bag of kosher salt. Never tried it though I confess.

While I must agree eels are poison for big bass, gawd I hate fishing with those suckers.

albacized
04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Guys,

Mike

Still legal but prices will go through the roof. However, many folks are predicting that eels will be banned from use just as herring are now in the not so distant future.....

clambelly
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
i possess a commercial eel licence which allows me to pot and sell eels. the word for this season is the ASMFC is trying to obtain more hard numbers on the catch totals. the state is really cracking down on fisherman who aren't returning catch reports. this is the only way they can gather numbers, and the guys who don't return the catch reports risk the ability to renew ALL of thier licences.

don't expect any changes for at least 2 years, my best guess.

bobfishgerald
04-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Still legal but prices will go through the roof. However, many folks are predicting that eels will be banned from use just as herring are now in the not so distant future.....

What are the prices going to?

Eddy Merckx
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Is there a reasonable substitute for genuine eel skin on an "eel skin" rig?

Onshore
04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I agree with clambelly. Even if the USF&WS determins eels are endangered it will take a year and a half to make them illegal. If it goes through ASMFC rather than the service, it could take longer.

BobG
04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Is there a reasonable substitute for genuine eel skin on an "eel skin" rig?

Slinging live eels and throwing eel skins are two completely different animals.
Eel skins are fished deep, and on the bottom similar to big jigs.
Plus, my guess is, when the live bait eel market dries up, so will eel skins.
I fish skins a lot. So my plan is to lay in a big batch of skins as soon as the bait shops have good one available with the hopes they'll last me a few years.

Eddy Merckx
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Slinging live eels and throwing eel skins are two completely different animals.

I don't know much, but that much I do know ;)

What I'm asking is, do you know of any other material that could be sustituted for eel skin, especially on a plug. Saltybugger makes some nice eelskin plugs, I was just wondering if there's anything else that could be used in place of gen-you-ine skins.

albacized
04-13-2006, 08:31 PM
What are the prices going to?

I'm just passing along what I was told at Red Top. I'm not really sure what eels will be going for this year.

clambelly
04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't know much, but that much I do know ;)

What I'm asking is, do you know of any other material that could be sustituted for eel skin, especially on a plug. Saltybugger makes some nice eelskin plugs, I was just wondering if there's anything else that could be used in place of gen-you-ine skins.

eddy, there is nothing that can compare to the real thing. its one of those things that just can be reproduced. btw, id like to see that eelskin plug. gotta be interesting what they came up with for an imitation. :-%

stripah
04-13-2006, 09:59 PM
1st Go to the Foxy Lady or your choice of establishment
2nd Get some nice Stalkings From the Employees
3rd Strech then over a plug
4th Catch a bass

Just and idea but hey it may work :-%

parapapam
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks Guys.

Mike