PDA

View Full Version : First Charter of 2006 a Laboring Success

OffshoreAngler
04-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I had my first charter of the 2006 season on Saturday Afternoon. With NE winds at 25-35mph all day locations were at a minimum. We decided to set out on the Bass River in Dennis. A great early season spot for schoolies with lots of places to hide from the weather. We met at the S Yamouth Boat Ramp (Seagull Beach?) at Noon to fish the afternoon outgoing tide. At my arrival, the mouth of the Bass River had 2-3ft chop with a crushing wind and wind chill in the 30deg's. I made the first executive decison for Fried Clams, Bloody Mary's & Beer at Skippers down the road to wait out the wind:-% . After 2 hours of "waiting it out" at Skippers (unbelievable clams BTW) we headed back to the ramp. The wind didn't budge. With full stomachs and liquid courage we decided to head out. Headed North and down the river we set up drift at AJ Landing and casted white sluggo's for about an hour. Noted the water temps were on average 56deg in the river. The tide was slow to change and we headed to HB Bridge. About 20 minutes later, Andrew caught the first fish of the season, 18-20" with sea lice. We fished a while longer, got a few more and moved to another spot. The wind got the best of us but we got out first day in with laboring success. Great guys, great clams and a few fish.....not a bad start to 2006.

Thanks,

Capt. Mike Mathews
www.offshoreanglercharters.com (http://www.offshoreanglercharters.com)

--username-deleted--
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the report, but I'm curious: you had a sport pay you to take them out for bass in April? Interesting. P.T. Barnum was on to something, I think. ;)

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
They were a great group of guys who all had the weekend pass from the wives. Reel-Time does a great job of generating early season enthusiasm. The price was right for them. We were going to stay in the river so I was able to get them a great deal. This time of year you never know when the first big cruiser is going to come along. With water temps in the mid to high 50's in many spots & reports of blues around, it wouldn't be a stretch to say they are here now. First good weather day (winds less than 20knts) and a few days of a southwest blow, I think we will see a change in size.

exmtguide
05-01-2006, 08:06 AM
As a licensed Captain the consumption of any alcohol while working is unacceptable.
And to brag about it?
Need I say more?

Bill P.

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Sorry, Let me clarify. At 12 noon we had lunch. I had a drink with lunch before my charter which is perfectly legal. We went back to the water at 2:30 to launch for the first time of the day. My customers did bring drinks on the boat. I don't drink on my boat especially with customers. I do let customers drink on their trips when I know them & in very small moderation. I can see your concern and please know my post may lead to a misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Capt. Mike

DMMSR2784
05-01-2006, 08:44 AM
What's a few beers.........W/2or3 footers at the mouth wind 25-30mph right "Cap" :confused:

Perch
05-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Strikes me as awful puritanical to insist that guides eschew a drink at lunch when they get blown off the water, even if they do venture out a couple hours later. It’s not like they’re flying jetliners. I’m not a licensed guide (though I do lots of freeby guiding). I do allow drinking on my boat, but like Capt. Mike sez, only in moderation. I wouldn’t let a guy get on toting a six pack.

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
DMMS....Not sure if you are upset as well but, we made the responsible decision to postpone the trip because the weather at the mouth of the Bass River was too windy to enjoy any type of fishing. Instead of sending everyone home we went and had lunch. We are all adults and had a good time. The clams were the show stopper not the drinks!!!!:brow I certainly didn't carry anyone on to the boat and never stated anyone was hammered by any means. We didn't head out to sea, we went down the river to much safer "lake like" conditions. This started out as an informative post about a tough day to put people on fish, see the Bass River and have a fun day. My 5 year record on this site reflects responsible fishing, good information and the growth of the sport of fishing.

Thanks again,
Capt. Mike

exmtguide
05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Capt. Mike

Thanks, for the reply.
Be safe, be cool and have fun.

I hope you have a very successful season.

Bill P.

DMMSR2784
05-01-2006, 09:07 AM
And stay away from the "Bass River" ;)

medburd
05-01-2006, 09:12 AM
no drunken sailors on the boat boys..no need to worry.
Capt. Mike I had a great time thanks for the early season heroics. We had fun and it was real nice to be on the water for first time this season after a long winter lay off. You gave us the option to go out even after it looked as if it wasn't giving up (the wind that is). I'm glad we kept the date as the food was fantastic even if the weather wasn't. http://www.reel-time.com/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif
That's a beautiful boat Mike. Can't wait to get back out with you when the fishing heats up!! You have to promise that we stop in to skippers for some more of those clams!! Had a great time!!

Ihonda: he sure was when you have cabin fever http://www.reel-time.com/forum/images/smilies/brow.gif

-medburd

--username-deleted--
05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I certainly didn't carry anyone on to the boat and never stated anyone was hammered by any means.

Well that's good to hear. Nothing like a lush yakking all over the place to ruin an outing for everyone. But once back onshore, all bets are off!

capemike88
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Actually Bill P. the legal limit for a charter captain is .04 BAC, for anyone driving besides a charter captain its .08 BAC

medburd
05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
so i guess filling up the freshwater washdown with draft beer is out of the question huh :brow or does it depend on the kind of beer you use?

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Nothing good can come from a Captain Drinking on a Charter....absolutley nothing. I think when I went for my license, the instructor told me I wasn't allowed to drink on any boat I was on if I were the only Captain aboard(#$119) As far as BAC, thats too tricky an area to go into. Don't get me wrong...after owning and operating my own boat for over 15 years, I love being on someone elses boat with a cold one in my hands...no worries:-% !!! Something to look into but as always common sense prevails!

DMMSR2784
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
:-% Point me too my boat ;)

MICKEY
05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm 57 years old and love to hunt and fish and have a drink or two of alcohol. But I have never and will never have alcohol while on a hunting or fishing trip whether it be a day trip or a week trip. It's bad enough that there are alot of people out there in boats that are consuming alcohol even if it is only one drink but to have a person on this forum who is a charter captain and talk about it is absurd. No excuses Period!!

Soundking
05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
It was a bloody mary. It's not like they were pounding shots of jaeger or had been drinking all day. Some of you guys need to relax a little bit and give Mike a break...

stripah
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I think Mike has learned what not to say. I know he was trying to be anecdotal while giving his report and I personally took no offense to it, but now you see there are people who do take offense. Just out of pure proffesionalism it would be wise not to mention alcoholic consumption in the context of ones job especially when others who you are responsible for are involved. Even if it was one sip the facts can be misconstrued easily and should a law suit or Coast Guard investigation ever take place please dont let alcohol be anywhere in the equation. It had been the demsie of many mariners and continues to be so to this day and can be a very touchy subject.

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Mickey, I couldn't agree more. Since my post I have done nothing but denounce drinking on a Charter as a Captain. In some opinions on this site, my original post did paint a picture of the wild west on the Bass River. This has sparked some discussion of who likes to drink on the water, when & how much. As stated earlier... I don't drink on my boat especially with customers....&....Nothing good can come from a Captain Drinking on a Charter....absolutley nothing.

tunnie md
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.owned.com/Owned_Pictures/boatingdrunkowned.jpg

OffshoreAngler
05-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Red Right Return???

medburd
05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
my post was tongue and cheek guys as most of you know. But I will admit..sitting on this couch my beverage is going down much smoother now that big papi just put the game out of reach for those yankees :-% --127-3- go sox!!...

on the charter I tooka six pack for me and the two other guys on the boat (excluding the capt).. i have one more confession..I took cigars as well.

ducatiboy
05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
:-% to some its a 6 pak, to others its a support group, carry on you scurvy dogz

DMMSR2784
05-02-2006, 06:22 AM
:rolleyes: I just want too know who picked up the tab for the "bloody mary's and beer"

albacized
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
http://www.owned.com/Owned_Pictures/boatingdrunkowned.jpg

The irony is in the name of that boat

medburd
05-02-2006, 06:34 AM
:rolleyes: I just want too know who picked up the tab for the "bloody mary's and beer"...we are outlaws kid..chew and screw :brow

Strat
05-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Jeez...tough crowd!

e-sea-e
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
there's a reason they call the standard charter captians lisecne a "six pack" ;)

ducatiboy
05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
My Grandmother always used to say,,,"if you think you've had enough, have just one more" rules to live by :-% I was kinda wondering about the six pass licsense........ I've consumed my fair share, will they just give me one? :brow

fish-bum
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow, Strat you had it right....Tough crowd. A charter captain drinking on the job is serious business, but it was one bloody mary at lunch right? I've fished with Capt. Mike several times and I can assure you the Mike takes fishing and boating seriously...There were a few times when we were caught in some rough waters coming back from a Vineyard or Nantucket fishing trip and the Capt. would put on his game face take control of the situation and get us all home safely. Mike showed good judgement and eased the minds of some on the boat who really didn't have there "sea legs" :) . Bad judgement on what to post from the trip, and I'm sure he won't do that again ;)...

Good Luck this season!

DMMSR2784
05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
:-% 2-3footers @ the mouth "winds" 25-30MPH

Roop
05-02-2006, 05:01 PM
:-% 2-3footers @ the mouth "winds" 25-30MPH

Youi'd think that someone who has taken a similar beating to what OffShoreAngler is now experiencing on RT might show some restraint... ;)

Bob Parsons
05-02-2006, 05:06 PM
One comment fine. but repeated bits of sarcasm is just looking for trouble. Especially since one post has been deleted already. DMMSR2784 needs to behave or will be sent to the corner for a brief stint.