PDA

View Full Version : Tagged Fish...?

Albiesickness
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
What do you do when you catch a tagged striper?

I caught one today...tagged in NJ...caught in Waquoit!

Pretty wild to think that a 16 inch fish can make it that far

Bob Parsons
05-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Should be a number on the tag to call. So you can give ize and location.

albacized
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
If it says it's from the Litteral Society in Sandy Hook NJ, there's a good chance it may have been tagged up here in New England. I caught one in Scorton's Creek several years ago with one of their tags and it turns out that it was tagged in the Weweantic River in Wareham.

DAQ
05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
That reminds me, I caught a tagged Striper last October and I never called it in. I wonder if it is still in my surf bag.

What kind of tag was it? Where was it placed on the fish?

D

Albiesickness
05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
it was a yellow circle tag that was placed behind the dorsal fin.

Left a big hole in the fish...

Junior11
05-03-2006, 05:47 PM
as to where that fish was caught... With it being only 16 inches, I was somehwat confused with your post, the group that tagged it was based in NJ or it was tagged there? Caught I think 4 or so with tags last year, got a hat for one and a shirt for another, sometimes they give you some cool stuff, always good to call them in.

Slappy
05-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I got a tagged one in Boston in late November. It was from hudsonriver.org and they didn't give me much info.

The best I could find was that it was tagged in the Hudson when it was 7" to 12" and caught in Boston at 34". I wonder how long it had the tag in it! I guess if you grew up in the Hudson, wintering in Boston probably doesn't seem that bad!

ducatiboy
05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
the bass come to Boston to watch the Red Sox --127-3- ,,,, notice they just cruise by NY, Yankess Suck :-%

Perch
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I caught one off Harwich. I called it in and got a hat.

NatickDave
05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Slappy,
I caught one tagged by Hudsonriver.org, too...the tag clearly set to clip it off and sent it in. I did and got a nice certificate and a check for some small amount. Mine had been tagged the year before in NY, and was still a schoolie when I caught it.
ND

Slappy
05-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I got the ten bucks, but all I really wanted to know was the history of the fish.

They didn't provide anything!

The ALS has a website where you can see the database and find your fish on there, but hudson river doesn't have that.

rockfisherman
05-04-2006, 04:13 PM
What do you do when you catch a tagged striper?

I caught one today...tagged in NJ...caught in Waquoit!

Pretty wild to think that a 16 inch fish can make it that far

Sounds like an ALS tag. Doesn't mean it was tagged in NJ. See their website for instructions.

http://www.littoralsociety.org/fish_tagging.aspx

Give them the length, recapture location and date and they can tell you when and where it was tagged and the size.

albacized
05-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Sounds like an ALS tag. Doesn't mean it was tagged in NJ. See their website for instructions.

http://www.littoralsociety.org/fish_tagging.aspx

Give them the length, recapture location and date and they can tell you when and where it was tagged and the size.

Yes...the American Littoral Society. See my post above for further verification as to what was said in the post quoted above. That organization is in Sandy Hook, NJ and the fish I caught was tagged only 20 miles from where I caught it (tagged in the Weweantic, caught in Scorton's)

The GAFFMAN
05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
I caught a tagged fish last year in the Merrimack, it actual had instructions to remove and call a phone number (Reward). I took measurements, and released the fish. The MDFW was tagging fish to do studies on migration as it relates to water temperatures, they were excited that a tagged was returned to them. They also wish they could offer more of a reward, but I thought it was cool enough to partake in there study! The sent me out a hat, and just a few weeks ago I received a report with a chart showing the location of that fish as it migrated north, with water temp readings.