PDA

View Full Version : buzz bay boat ramps?

dcomte
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm looking for a realitivly easy access boat ramp. Ramp forum has mixed reveiws. Looking for public or private ramp with concreate ramp and decent parking. Thanks in advance. Dan

albacized
05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm looking for a realitivly easy access boat ramp. Ramp forum has mixed reveiws. Looking for public or private ramp with concreate ramp and decent parking. Thanks in advance. Dan

Bourne Marina. They charge for the use...use to be $10 when I had a boat, probably more now. But it's a very reliable ramp. The only issue I've ever witnessed was because some guy backed his trailer way too far and the wheels got stuck off the end of the ramp.
There is also a nice free-bee ramp over in Wareham...but parking is limited.

stripah
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Padanaram and Westport are two great one's that come to mind that I frequent for the lower Western portion of the Bay. Last I checked they were around 5 bucks a piece for a day. They both have double wide ramps and Westport has floating docks while Dartmouth has a peir with floats attached. During the summer Westport fills up quicly but there is an overflow lot regardless get there early either place during peak season on the weekends.

Bourne Marina is pretty good I dont use it so I cant comment on price or anything specific but from living right nearby it looks like it would fit the bill and can give you great access to the upper Bay. There are others more qualified to speak on this facility than I.

Poppr
05-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Bourne Marina

Located just off Main Street of Buzzards Bay, at the entrance to Taylors Point.

Good ramp, parking and facilities.

From the town website -- The Taylor Point Marina facilities, conveniently located off of Main Street, Buzzards Bay, includes 148 slips, a gas dock with gasoline, diesel and a sanitary pumpout station, private bathrooms & showers, a marine store and a public boat ramp with parking. The Marina is also located just around the corner from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy and right next to the west end of the Cape Cod Canal, which is one of the premier boating and fishing areas in New England.

http://www.buzzardsbay.org/boatramps.htm

The above link gives info and google maps in many cases showing location of ramps all around "Buzzard's Bay" waters.

Other ramps in Bourne are available for all to launch and recover but require a town sticker for parking of the vehicle/trailer. Stickers are avaiable to "residents" (renters for 2 week minimum, I believe) but require doumentation to prove residency. Something to consider if you are just in town for a day trip. $10 for full time residents, $30 for non-residents.

wfmdfm
05-16-2006, 09:14 PM
The ramp is a nice ramp but parking on weekends after 10am or so is hard. A litttle ride to get out to the bay but calm.

mumichog
05-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Wareham ramp is very good, $5/day. We use this ramp if wind has northern or westerly orientation since the harbor enters Buzzards with shoreline cover from these directions. Anything easterly we try to use Bourne or maybe West Falmouth, which is small, requires a drive down the Cape and has very limited parking. South or SW wind will chop up the bay quickly no matter where you enter from unless you hide right along the Elizabeths.

Onshore
05-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Haven't been there since I moved to the Cape but, there was an excellent state ramp in Fairhaven, just inside West Island that we used frequently.

dcomte
05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you, to all that replied. Looks like I'll be cleaning up flood damage this weekend. I'm taking Monday off to come down. Thanks again Dan.