PDA

View Full Version : mackeral jigging

wasabi
05-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Bought some mackeral rigs . . . incase we run into a school. Is the flash of the rig itself enough to attract mackeral or do you sweeten up the rig with clam/worm?

Any of you ever liveline mackeral for big stripers?

Ray
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
If the macks are around all you'll need to do is jig it up and down a few times and they'll jump on it. Don't be too surprised if you get one on each hook.

Did you get a Zabiki rig? Make sure you put enough weight on it to jig. A couple once may be needed depending on current.

Do you have a livewell? They may not live too long outside of a good well.

As a kid all we used was a stringer of gold colord hooks and a weight.

Soundking
05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Like Ray said, just drop on them. To add something to the merrit of weight, I use five ounce bank sinkers when I jig macs. This is not for current, however, but rather for keeping the rig straight once I come tight to a few. Feel the few fish come onto your rig, then just keep it tight and each additional bump is another one. You can fill a well in six drops. And no, do not fish them. Large bass hate live mackerel ;) .

bayside
05-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Like Ray said, no need to sweeten the rig up with much if they're around. But you should put some weight on for better control and feel for when they hit. Live lining macks is one of my favorite ways to go for stripers....and this is the time, at least in CCB. The biggest striper brought into my boat was a couple years ago about this time with a live mack......sweet memories!

Go Fish
05-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Try chumming with cat food to get teh macks in close. Use a church key to poke a bunch of holes in the can and hang it off the boat in the water. wave action is usually enough to get the stream of chunks flowing.

decapod
05-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I'll be down on the Cape Friday through Sunday. Any idea if/where I should look for macks from my boat? Thanks.

JAVIDANGLER
05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
The best rigs I have found are to tie your own.
Gold Mylar Tubing, over a #2 hook tied front and rear
with a little frayed out at the rear. Then 5 to a rig.
Put a 6 oz diamond on the bottom. They generally hit
it on the drop, so a weight that is a little heavy helps
to set the hook. Once one is on start reeling up slowly.
Others will jump on. If you don't reel up, a big mess will
ensue. Don't be surprised about other fish either. I have
landed almost every available fish on these, including Bass
and Cod. (Sea Herring Love these too)

As for chumming.... Place your cooler at the back of the
boat. Uncork the drain. After catching a few and placing
them in the cooler.... Rinse them down with salt water.
This rinse washes out the blood and scales. There is
no better chum, they will sit like dogs 15 ft under the boat.

Good Luck

JAVIDANGLER
05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Decapod..
The traditional areas are all on the inside of the Cape.
Out in front of the Canal, up to Gurnet, Green Harbor,
Scituate etc. Also on Stellwagen can be great too.
Find clean clear water in the 40 to 90 ft range, is
generally where they hang out.
Good Luck

BobPink
05-17-2006, 06:06 PM
bring a 4-5wt with you and after you've 'made bait' there is a lot of fun to be had with 2# macks on a lightweight flyrod!

e-sea-e
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
hey wasabi, if you are out looking on the north shore areas saturday, could you let me know how you do? I'm headed out sunday to see if there are mac schools around with big stipers with them. I have heard there have been macs out on the bank, and a few closer in, the groaner, etc. I know the pylmouth area is full of em right now if you want to head that way.

BTW, if you come across schools, DEFINATELY liveline a few macs into the school, no matter how big the macs are. you may hook a monster bass.

good luck!

OffshoreAngler
05-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Just a note....Tons of them out there 5/17. East End of the Canal all the way down the shoreline to Wellfleet.