PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Patching?

SAGE9
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a hole in my transom below the water line. The hole is from where a swim platform support was screwed in. Any ideas on how best to patch this?

Many thanks.

tmillerzzz
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
How big is the hole?

SAGE9
05-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Its the size of a screw. Its small and I'm not sure if it goes all the way through although it must.

tmillerzzz
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Squirt it full of marine sealeant, push it in good with your thumb and call it done.

SAGE9
05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Hell, that's it? Me likey. Sounds easy.

Thanks.

Go Fish
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
While the above is a fully functional solution it may not last as long as you would like.

West Systems offers a small repair kit (~$15) that contains, among other handy things, a syringe, epoxy and high density filler material. I'd get one and:

Drill the hole out to expose clean surfaces
Mix the epoxy and thicken it with high density filler until it is the consistency of mayonaise
Load the syringe with the epoxy mix and fill the hole from the bottom out by inserting the syringe and drawing it out as you fill (if it is a through hole tape the back side)
Over fill the hole and cover it with a piece of wax paper to cure

If you like the way it looks leave it. I'd sand it flush. That fix will last the life of your boat and not let water into your transom core.

You can do the same with thickened fiberglass resin and that would allow you to gel coat the patch and blend it into the finish on the transom

SAGE9
05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Sounds good. I'll give it a try this weekend. I'm glad that this sounds like an easier task than I was expecting.

Thanks for the help.

soundownsam
06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Make sure the area is dry amd clean up the edges of the hole so you can get a good filling in it. Fill with white Marine-Tex and call it a day.

Sam

Nauti Buoy
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Go Fish's method is the professional way, and no doubt the best way. However, if the hole is small, as you indicate, I think the Marine-Tex or OMC 5200 would do the job as well without enlargening the hole. Just be sure to really fill the hole completely. The threads in the hole will serve as a good mechanical lock for the filler material.