PDA

View Full Version : Leader material VS main line material

featherbaiter
06-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Okay, here is another stupid question. What is the difference between leader material and regular line? I mostly use straight 15# flouro for my striper leaders, and I'm wondering if I can just use 15# flouro line. The only difference that I know of is that the leader material comes on a 50 yd spool for about $15 while a 200 yard spool of flouro line only costs $20. Is there any rea diffenence?

OceanRunner
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
First off, 15# fluoro line is probably fine for most striper fishing - huge fish near structure being the obvious exclusion.

The main difference is abrasion resistance, and the second is line profile (if you’re fishing permit or bones this matters, fishing for stripers it doesn’t really in most cases). Fluoro leader is all fluorocarbon (generally), while fluoro line is usually a hybrid of fluoro and something else (usually mono).

moxie
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Most leader mat is stiffer. I use a lot of MAXIMA line and leader mat.
If you put a pc of 10 lb line up to 10lb leader mat, one is limp and one is
stiffer. Seagar is the best floro I have used.

adm162
06-08-2006, 04:33 AM
how long of a leader do you generally use for stribers and blues?

featherbaiter
06-08-2006, 06:30 AM
I usually use around 8-10 feet. I use straight 15# and start with 10'. As I tie on new flies, it shrinks to about 8 and then depending on the condition of the leader, I either tie a new one on or add a 2' tippet. This may be longer than you need, but it works for me.